Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Recovering SMS from .mdbackup file

Default Recovering SMS from .mdbackup file
    Hey guys, come into a bit of a predicament so thought I'd pick your minds.

I had a bug with my Iphone (original first wave model, fully updated to latest version via itunes, not jailbroken, although I have no problem with doing so if required) where it would always display as I had 1 new message, when I didn't. In order to try and resolve that I deleted all my SMS believing I could just restore them through backing up as normal. However, the second I popped the phone on the cradle, it of course auto-syncs and destroys the old backup....lo and behold, I have 0 text messages once I run the restore......

I've located the .mdbackup file which contains the relevant data for my SMS by checking through them with sqlite3 and noted the ID *Edit - I can read the lost messages here, so the data is there.*, I figured perhaps I could check an old Vista system restore for the previous data, once I found it I've just overwritten that to the backup file, hopefully restoring said messages next time I tried to restore via itunes. I ran the restore though but no luck at all, it's as if nothing was there.

I'm wondering if any of you folks could perhaps enlighten me to where I've gone wrong? Those messages were important to me.

I've checked through the forums and not found an answer, so apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Montan; 10-18-2008 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Updated info.