Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Louder Dialpad/Sounds possible on 3G iPhone

Default Louder Dialpad/Sounds possible on 3G iPhone
    Hello all.

Anyone find a way to make system sounds a bit louder, specifically the dial pad tones on a 3G iPhone? On my 1st gen iphone, there was a .plist mod floating around (Low Volume On Your iPhone?: Steps To Fix) and it worked GREAT!

I tried locating the 2 files in question that this previous fix modded on my new 3G iphone and was able to find them in almost the same loctations:

com.apple.celestial.plist was in /var/root/Library/Preferences but it is now named com.apple.Preferences.plist

and SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist was found in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Celestial.framework/ as opposed to /System/Library/Frameworks/Celestial.framework/.

I tried substituting these 2 files with the ones from the older volume fix (I just renamed the first one from com.apple.celestial.plist to com.apple.Preferences.plist and simply dropped it in and deleted the old one.

I rebooted and sadly noticed no change in any way after testing out the dailpad. I restored the files and am now looking for another way. I am using windows so don't have the ability to edit the plist files myself (don't know really how to anyway).

thanks.

You should be able to just change the values.

let me know if you Need the files As I just got my 3g tonight and did this mod. and it works fine

Hey thanks for the response. Ya I would love those files if you've got em. Did you get your dialpad louder?

Thats cool that you did the mod and it worked out for you, however what specifically did you mod and what values did you you use? I have been modifying the plists in the celestial framework folder and there has been no improvement whatsoever. I have even gone as far to reset all settings and reboot the phone after the mods are done and nothing is ever different. I've been trying to mod mine for a while with no success.
    Regards,
    Alex, Rogers iPhone Technical Support Rep

and I never got those files from the above poster, so still wondering with plist's to modify.

Anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Bouzo View Post
    Hello all.

Anyone find a way to make system sounds a bit louder, specifically the dial pad tones on a 3G iPhone? On my 1st gen iphone, there was a .plist mod floating around (Low Volume On Your iPhone?: Steps To Fix) and it worked GREAT!

I tried locating the 2 files in question that this previous fix modded on my new 3G iphone and was able to find them in almost the same loctations:

com.apple.celestial.plist was in /var/root/Library/Preferences but it is now named com.apple.Preferences.plist

and SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist was found in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Celestial.framework/ as opposed to /System/Library/Frameworks/Celestial.framework/.

I tried substituting these 2 files with the ones from the older volume fix (I just renamed the first one from com.apple.celestial.plist to com.apple.Preferences.plist and simply dropped it in and deleted the old one.

I rebooted and sadly noticed no change in any way after testing out the dailpad. I restored the files and am now looking for another way. I am using windows so don't have the ability to edit the plist files myself (don't know really how to anyway).

thanks.
    or you can make the UISounds/dtmf-#.caf louder with Adobe Audition or WavePad... It works too

if you wanna do that lemme know. I can make them louder and post them for ya.
    Last edited by m1ngaa; 12-14-2008 at 07:36 PM.

yeah I wanted to make the overall volume louder, substantially louder if possible, not just specific files cause I could edit them myself as well. I'm trying to find a more universal solution.
    Regards,

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thedaemon666 For This Useful Post:

jacobaudi81 (02-09-2009)

I think the volume settings are in the locations where you'd expect them to be, one of which you already found:
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Celestial.framework/SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist for the maximum (in the key Default, subkey Default), but more importantly, /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.celestial.plist.

It's easy to edit plists with the pledit editor for Windows, which you can download from here.

In com.apple.celestial.plist you will see a key called volumes. Before that (but after the first <dict>), you could add this piece:
    Code:
    	<key>volumeMultiplier</key>
    	<dict>
    		<key>global</key>
    		<real>1.5</real>
    	</dict>
    EDIT: Apparently Cydia has a "volume boost" package available (from the iClarified source). Might be a lot easier. EDIT: I took a look at it, and it basically does what I described here (but it sets the volumeMultiplier to 2 instead of 1.5 and also changes a file about regional volume limits).
    Last edited by Jim Danner; 12-15-2008 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Danner View Post
    I think the volume settings are in the locations where you'd expect them to be, one of which you already found:
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Celestial.framework/SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist for the maximum (in the key Default, subkey Default), but more importantly, /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.celestial.plist.

It's easy to edit plists with the pledit editor for Windows, which you can download from here.

In com.apple.celestial.plist you will see a key called volumes. Before that (but after the first <dict>), you could add this piece:
    Code:
    	<dict>
    		<key>global</key>
    		<real>1.5</real>
    	</dict>
    EDIT: Apparently Cydia has a "volume boost" package available (from the iClarified source). Might be a lot easier. EDIT: I took a look at it, and it basically does what I described here (but it sets the volumeMultiplier to 2 instead of 1.5 and also changes a file about regional volume limits).
    yeah Cydia has those. I forgot the name. You know what's best? Back up your original sound thingy, and download that mod from Cydia. And open it up thru WinSCP (whatever you use) and open up the original one too. And see the difference and I think you'll get to know which ones to change and stuff... Maybe you can even edit it... to be louder

I tried the mod on the iclarified repo and it did nothing to the volume either. I have also modded the com.apple.celestial.plist file along with the regional sound maximum file and the system sound max file. No matter what values I input into these plists the volume never increases. I also power cycle the phone after replacing the original files. Sound modding the 3G is not going very well. There has to be something that we are missing but I have not found anything at all in the file system that would make sense to edit aside from what I have already modified. Anyone else have any ideas? I have almost exhausted all of my ideas at this point.
    Regards,

iPhone? More like MyPhone kjack05's Avatar
    Thanks

I downloaded the volume boost from cydia as well and it doesnt appeay to have done anything. It would be cool if someone got all of the factory sounds and changed them louder and then uploaded the files so atleast some stuff would be louder.

Cydia mod does not work,speakerphone in my 3g is low.i hope we find a solution.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

im using a 2g but i would assume that the volume plist would be the same...i took the three files and modified them to a maximum volume 1.000000000. the factory settings are around 8.9 or so .....so when changing to 1.000000000 that doesnt leave much room for an increase.....i remember when i did it for 2.x firmwares i thought the same thing didnt really change much...but i left it anyway....and than one day the dial pads were louder...i dont know but i always change them for every firmware update and if i notice a difference or not i leave them.....it seems to work a little..

if things are not the same for a 3g then sorry for the post but i was just sharing what works for me...

here are the 3 i changed:

RegionalVolumeLimits.plist:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    	<key>D</key>
    	<real>1</real>
    	<key>DN</key>
    	<real>1</real>
    	<key>F</key>
    	<real>1</real>
    	<key>FB</key>
    	<real>1</real>
    	<key>FD</key>
    	<real>1</real>
    	<key>FP</key>
    	<real>1</real>
    	<key>NF</key>
    	<real>1</real>
    	<key>ZD</key>
    	<real>1</real>
    	<key>ZG</key>
    	<real>1</real>
    	<key>ZG/ZO</key>
    	<real>1</real>
    	<key>ZI</key>
    	<real>1</real>
    	<key>ZK</key>
    	<real>1</real>
    	<key>ZO</key>
    	<real>1</real>
    	<key>ZO/ZD</key>
    	<real>1</real>
    </dict>
    </plist>
    SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist:

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    	<key>Default</key>
    	<dict>
    		<key>Default</key>
    		<real>1</real>
    		<key>Headphone</key>
    		<real>1</real>
    		<key>Headset</key>
    		<real>1</real>
    		<key>LineOut</key>
    		<real>1</real>
    	</dict>
    	<key>ThirdPartySystemSound</key>
    	<dict>
    		<key>Default</key>
    		<real>1</real>
    		<key>Headphone</key>
    		<real>1</real>
    		<key>Headset</key>
    		<real>1</real>
    		<key>LineOut</key>
    		<real>1</real>
    	</dict>
    	<key>TouchTone</key>
    	<dict>
    		<key>Default</key>
    		<real>1</real>
    		<key>Headphone</key>
    		<real>1</real>
    		<key>Headset</key>
    		<real>1</real>
    		<key>Receiver</key>
    		<real>1</real>
    		<key>Speaker</key>
    		<real>1</real>
    	</dict>
    </dict>
    </plist>
    com.apple.celestial.plist:

Code:
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    	<dict>
    		<key>global</key>
    		<real>1.5</real>
    	</dict>
    	<key>volumes</key>
    	<dict>
    		<key>ReceiverAndMicrophone</key>
    		<dict>
    			<key>PhoneCall</key>
    			<real>0.9375</real>
    		</dict>
    		<key>Speaker</key>
    		<dict>
    			<key>PhoneCall</key>
    			<real>1</real>
    		</dict>
    		<key>SpeakerAndMicrophone</key>
    		<dict>
    			<key>PhoneCall</key>
    			<real>1</real>
    		</dict>
    		<key>broadcast</key>
    		<dict>
    			<key>Ringtone</key>
    			<real>1</real>
    		</dict>
    	</dict>
    </dict>
    </plist>
    Last edited by Ice9812; 12-19-2008 at 11:17 AM.
    If I Helped You Hit The Thanks Button

Sorry for the noobie question. I copied the settings that Ice9812 posted, but the only thing that got louder was the keypad. Is there a setting that will raise the (overall) sound (mostly for music, youtube, app)? Cheers

During my modding of the above mentioned files I had inadvertently ramped my keypad volume to a point where it was able to be heard 10 feet away from myself. Through further modification I have managed to up the volume of the headset output for the iPod function and seemingly the ringtones but not the loud speaker. However when it comes to the ring tones I only notice a difference in ones that were low to begin with, most stock ringtones only show a slight improvement. I have not yet figured out enough information though to give a finite answer as to how to successfully ramp the volume. I have been trying different values and such and testing, making sure to reboot the phone after deleting and replacing the files each time. The modifications to these files seem to be similar to modifying the volume on a sony ericsson phone but on a much more basic level. There are less values that can be modified to tune the volume. If and when I can figure out what exactly needs to be modified I will try to write a guide as to what files affect the volume but I think there is still more files involved.

I am working with iPhone software version 2.2 on an iPhone 3G. The files that I have been looking at so far are as follows:

com.apple.celestial.plist
    SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist (in the celestial private frameworks folder and also in 2 subfolders of it called n80 and n82, I did not touch the other n** folders due to the plists not containing information relevant to an iPhone and seemingly only relevant to an iPod Touch)
    SystemSoundVolumeAdjustment.plist
    RegionalVolumeLimits.plist

I am going to try and dump my entire iPhone file system in the same structure it appears on the phone so that I can easily look at all the plist files and see if I can locate other files that would pertain to volume limits or the celestial framework in general.

It is too bad there is no way to obtain the source code for the celestial framework, at least to my knowledge, so that it could be studied to ascertain exactly how it controls the sound hardware of the phone. I feel that there may be a hardware limitation to the phone to not allow the volume to go higher so that the speakers are not damaged, however until all avenues of files have been visited we will not know if this is true.

Please do not flame me if you have other findings as I am only conveying what I have learned on my own and based off of what I have seen for the first generation iPhone running os < 2.0. All positive input is welcome and I am more than happy to discuss further what I have found on my own. If anyone knows any sites that have a working tutorial for iPhones running 2.2 please share as I just want to increase the volume of my loud speaker so the ringtone can be heard easier along with an improvement to the speaker phone. I have also tried the iClarified volume mod from cydia and found there to be no change.

All my information is based off of the 3G handset and could be completely different from the first release device.

Happy modding, I hope we can figure this out in the near future.
    Last edited by thedaemon666; 12-27-2008 at 02:30 AM.
    Regards,

after trying both the changes manually and w/ the iclarified volume boost, it looks like the only thing the changes do is change the level at which the volume is at by changing the volume bar. like before if the default was .6, there would be 6 out of 10 bars filled for the volume, but if i changed it to 1, then it'd be 10/10. that doesnt help much since you could just use the volume buttons to increase it.

i compared by iphone2g w/ 2.2 with my sisters 2g w/ 1.1.4 and hers is wayyy louder

18. The Following User Says Thank You to chauzer For This Useful Post:

dhangejr (11-25-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by chauzer View Post
    after trying both the changes manually and w/ the iclarified volume boost, it looks like the only thing the changes do is change the level at which the volume is at by changing the volume bar. like before if the default was .6, there would be 6 out of 10 bars filled for the volume, but if i changed it to 1, then it'd be 10/10. that doesnt help much since you could just use the volume buttons to increase it.

i compared by iphone2g w/ 2.2 with my sisters 2g w/ 1.1.4 and hers is wayyy louder

wow lol ur rite the ten bars just stay full. I can't see them go down . I can't believe i did not seet his haha.
    My question is how can i fix this. I took the advice to bakcup the files, and i replaced my backups i checked and it seems all the defaults have been restared as a result, but im still stuck o nfull volume. Like i turn it down i do on speaker cuz i use that as my head set and hold the phone upside down. LAME sauce.
    Thanks tho