Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Change Password???

Default Change Password???
    I have changed my Root password from dottie to xxxx.

How do I change the mobile user password from alpine to a password of my choice. I just don't like the idea of having a default password. I know the mobile user cannot change or edit files from a shell for sftp, but you can view or read all files on the iphone with this user which leaves major wholes in our iphone security.... any ideas?

mrengles

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,279 Times in 652 Posts

huh? mobile user password, be more specific maybe i dont follow your terminology

The iPhone has two users, mobile and Root

I want to change the mobile user password like i did the root password.

Why because you can login to anyones iphone using the mobile user if you don't change if from the default password "alpine", and you know their IP address. Very dangerous. you cant change (write) any file using mobile but you can read "view all files" if you give me an iPhone's IP with SSH installed I can pull off all your info.. I mean all if you don't change both passwords....

This is a major security issue for people who have installed SSH onto there iphone and haven't changed both of the users passwords...

Would a temporary solution be to uninstall SSH. Would that allow you to keep all your mods while still eliminating the security risk. With installer, putting SSH back on is a pretty easy affair.
    Various 'Books old and new
    8 Giggity, Giggity, Gigg-it-y.

Yes that would work...

or you can change the mobile password the same way you changed your root password only you would edit the line that says mobile in your master.passwd file instead of root.

there is info on how-to change your root password on another thread... Good Luck!
    Gratitude,
    mrengles

I just installed the passwd command (it's in the downloads section now) and used that to change root. I didn't mess with the mobile account, I have no idea what that account gets used for, but didn't want to break anything by changing that password.

If you try it, let us know if you anything stops working.

I changed mine by logging in via ssh, or using mobileterminal and doing:

passwd root

or passwd mobile

But you'll need to install passwd either manually or by installing BSD Subsystem with Installer.app

Another way to have SSH, and maintain security would be to start it only when needed, and stop it when done.

I can kill sshd, and manually restart it if needed, but it will start at reboot.

The iphone does not have the 'service' command. How do they start it?

A nice applet to start/stop services would be nice.
    Mobile Linux? Got That.
    Pepper Pad 3, Nokia 770, GP2x, Motorola A780
    Visit Linuxslate.com New Forums just starting

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    Another way to have SSH, and maintain security would be to start it only when needed, and stop it when done.

I can kill sshd, and manually restart it if needed, but it will start at reboot.

The iphone does not have the 'service' command. How do they start it?

A nice applet to start/stop services would be nice.
    it's included in the BSD sub system pckg
    it's called "launchctl"
    Best Regards

it's included in the BSD sub system pckg
    it's called "launchctl"
    Yeah, got it.

Stop sshd:

Code:
    # launchctl remove com.openssh.sshd
    It's very polite. Won't dump you, but when you disconnect, it stops sshd.

Start sshd: (From the terminal)

Code:
    # launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.openssh.sshd.plist
    sshd will also restart on boot, so if you crash, or for some reason poweroff, and back on, you'll be open to ssh again.

Thanks ! I should have at least known what to look for. Too much penguin p()()p in my head.
    Mobile Linux? Got That.
    Pepper Pad 3, Nokia 770, GP2x, Motorola A780
    Visit Linuxslate.com New Forums just starting