Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SafariDL plugin for 2.0

Default SafariDL plugin for 2.0
    Has anyone found a way to download songs off seeqpod on 2.0?

iPhone? More like MyPhone fletch33's Avatar
    Thanks

good question.
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

another question for this: I wanted all my downloaded files to go to /var/mobile/Documents/Downloads
    so I created a symlink
    ln -s /var/mobile/Documents/Downloads /var/mobile/Library/Downloads
    for some reason, if I do this I can't download any files. But it's not exactly a problem with the symlink. If I just create the folder /var/mobile/Library/Downloads SafariDL won't work anymore. Any ideas on this?

Are you making the link/folders as the root user? If so, the mobile user that Safari runs at probably doesn't have permissions to write files to the directory. Remove the Library/Downloads folder and let the plugin make it.

You can always make the Library/Downloads folder a linked subfolder of your documents folder, or just do a chmod and/or chown to fix the ownership and permissions issues.

Note: I'm the author of the DL plugin port to 2.0. PM me if you have more issues, I don't get to these forums regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by jonmisurda View Post
    Are you making the link/folders as the root user? If so, the mobile user that Safari runs at probably doesn't have permissions to write files to the directory. Remove the Library/Downloads folder and let the plugin make it.

You can always make the Library/Downloads folder a linked subfolder of your documents folder, or just do a chmod and/or chown to fix the ownership and permissions issues.

Note: I'm the author of the DL plugin port to 2.0. PM me if you have more issues, I don't get to these forums regularly.
    yeah, I thought it was a permission problem as well, but it doesn't seem to be.
    first I chmodded the symlink 755 - didn't work. then 777 - didn't work. then I created the folder as mobile and chmodded it 777 - didn't work either.
    doesn't really make any sense to me, because how should the application know if it created the folder itself or if I did it, but it doesn't work.
    I'll try it again later, maybe I just did something wrong ... will let you know if it worked.

and PS: thanks for porting this great app, it's really sweet. is it possible to add support for downloading pdfs? so if you open a pdf you can choose to watch it in safari or download it or something. that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    yeah, I thought it was a permission problem as well, but it doesn't seem to be.
    first I chmodded the symlink 755 - didn't work. then 777 - didn't work. then I created the folder as mobile and chmodded it 777 - didn't work either.
    doesn't really make any sense to me, because how should the application know if it created the folder itself or if I did it, but it doesn't work.
    I'll try it again later, maybe I just did something wrong ... will let you know if it worked.

and PS: thanks for porting this great app, it's really sweet. is it possible to add support for downloading pdfs? so if you open a pdf you can choose to watch it in safari or download it or something. that would be awesome.
    You can, but probably shouldn't. You can edit the Info.plist file that is in /System/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/File Download Plugin.webplugin and add:

Code:
    <key>application/pdf</key>
    		<dict>
    			<key>WebPluginExtensions</key>
    			<array>
    				<string>pdf</string>
    			</array>
    			<key>WebPluginTypeDescription</key>
    			<string>PDF File</string>
    			<key>WebPluginTypeEnabled</key>
    			<true/>
    		</dict>
    In the appropriate place (follow the example). However many, if not all, of the file viewing applications seem to just embed safari to read PDFs, so you'd have to remove this or disable the plugin before you could view it.

I don't believe Annotater uses the built-in PDF viewer, so if you have that it might work.

You can, but probably shouldn't. You can edit the Info.plist file that is in /System/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/File Download Plugin.webplugin and add:

In the appropriate place (follow the example). However many, if not all, of the file viewing applications seem to just embed safari to read PDFs, so you'd have to remove this or disable the plugin before you could view it.

I don't believe Annotater uses the built-in PDF viewer, so if you have that it might work.
    well, thanks, but I'll just leave it then, it's not that important to me.
    btw, newsflash on the symlink-thing: doesn't work. I created my target folder as mobile, created the symlink as mobile and I am able to upload files to the folder via SSH without any problems (as mobile), but when I try to download something it says "Download failed. Could not start saving file."
    If I just create the folder /var/mobile/Library/Downloads myself it works fine, but not if I make it a symlink even though the target is chmodded 777

What would be the easiest way to play back media downloaded with safaridl? I just bought and downloaded mobilefinder off the appstore but that really doesn't seem to be that helpfull. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Puppet122 View Post
    What would be the easiest way to play back media downloaded with safaridl? I just bought and downloaded mobilefinder off the appstore but that really doesn't seem to be that helpfull. Any suggestions?
    doesn't the plugin have that functionality built-in? if you download something you can choose to play it back in the mediaplayer - shouldn't that do the job?

The downloader's play option will restream it. You'll need a file viewer to play back the media like the one in Cydia, or one of the many on the app store: MobileFinder, Caravan, Files, etc.

I'm not sure why it doesn't like the symlink, I'll look at that for a future version.

i think that the mobile finder in the appstore is governed because it won't let me explore all the folders located in the ipone. the program safaridl itself doesn't have a playback feature. and the file viewer in cydia sucks. i tried using icommander but after locating my downloads i cant play them from it. Any other suggestions?

I use MobileFinder and it works like a charm once you add in the links to Home and Root so it is not confined to the Documents folder.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthYodi View Post
    I use MobileFinder and it works like a charm once you add in the links to Home and Root so it is not confined to the Documents folder.
    How do you add that to mobile finder.? are you talking about the one on the app store.?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthYodi View Post
    How do you do that? Because the whole reason I wanted to create a symlink as the SafariDL-Downloadfolder was so all things get downloaded into the MobileFinder folder so I can open them with it ...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    How do you do that? Because the whole reason I wanted to create a symlink as the SafariDL-Downloadfolder was so all things get downloaded into the MobileFinder folder so I can open them with it ...
    i'm not sure the linking policies here to other websites, so google search for "MobileFinder root directory"

But I have another question for you. Could you retry making your symbolic link and have it point to someplace in /tmp or to another, new directory in Library?

I think there's a bigger problem. Some links work and some don't. I'm wondering if mobilesafari isn't allowed to write to certain places in the filesystem.

Thanks.

i'm not sure the linking policies here to other websites, so google search for "MobileFinder root directory"

But I have another question for you. Could you retry making your symbolic link and have it point to someplace in /tmp or to another, new directory in Library?

I think there's a bigger problem. Some links work and some don't. I'm wondering if mobilesafari isn't allowed to write to certain places in the filesystem.

Thanks.
    both works fine, seems like you're right. strange though, because I checked and MobileSafari gets executed as mobile, so it should have access to any directory mobile has access to, shouldn't it?

regards

You'd think, unless there's an additional security policy that prevents it. Mysteries abound...

Jonmirsurda, great plugin! How do I make it link to my Caravan or Filemagnet document folder? Or can I change the default download folder?

Thanks,
    Peter

is this working for 2.1? every time i install it, the phone automatically reboots (not sure if that's intentional or sign of an error) and despite toggling in bossprefs or unin/reinstalling, everytime i click an .exe file, I still get "Safari cannot download this file" alert. I'm on 2.1 3G.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast