Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: .caf maker

Default .caf maker
    is there any program (for windows) where i can change an mp3 to one of these .caf files that the iphone uses, i was wanting to change my txt sound

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Actually bro, all you have to do is rename the file extension to .caf

Thats it, you dont need a program or any "formatting".

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

dillonsmith9147 (07-27-2008)

ok, one more question, in XP i could just go to a folder go to the top click view or something like that and make it show the file extension in the name, with vista not as easy, do you know how to make vista show me the extension
    {NVM Found it}

ok one more question, i changed it to a caf file and put it on my phone, i played it on my computer to make sure it would work and it did on my computer, but it doesnt play on my phone any idea y
    Last edited by dillonsmith9147; 07-27-2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

When adding it to your iphone, you HAVE to overwrite one of the existing sms alerts. In other words, rename YOUR file to match one of the tones on the phone, then upload it overwriting the other one. Then just pick the one you overwrote on the phone. I changed all mine this way.

still having a problem, let me know, because i think i have a better answer thats guaranteed to work

Use a .wav file. Change the extension and overwrite one of the message sound file of the iPhone with that.

Regards

8. The Following User Says Thank You to schumy For This Useful Post:

dillonsmith9147 (07-30-2008)

got it!

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    When adding it to your iphone, you HAVE to overwrite one of the existing sms alerts. In other words, rename YOUR file to match one of the tones on the phone, then upload it overwriting the other one. Then just pick the one you overwrote on the phone. I changed all mine this way.
    Did that, is there anyway to change where it says bell tho?

Quote Originally Posted by movalwebmaster View Post
    still having a problem, let me know, because i think i have a better answer thats guaranteed to work
    thnks, but the dude below u got it

Quote Originally Posted by schumy View Post
    Use a .wav file. Change the extension and overwrite one of the message sound file of the iPhone with that.

Regards
    Worked, must've been sumthing with it being a .mp3

Import the mp3 to itunes, convert to aiff, drag the file out of itunes and rename it with the .caf extension. Enjoy
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out

iPhone? More like MyPhone whateverman24791's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m3thodandr3d View Post
    Import the mp3 to itunes, convert to aiff, drag the file out of itunes and rename it with the .caf extension. Enjoy
    this always works just make sure that you SSH to the folder and re-name the new custom sound with the one that you want to overwrite (sms-recievedx.caf)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to whateverman24791 For This Useful Post:

mcdj (07-31-2008)

i think the sound can't be a compressed audio file like an mp3.
    wav or aiff (i.e. uncompressed audio) renamed to .caf extension works. i would imagine, and this is purely speculation on my part, that the player for those sounds simply doesn't have the ability to process the compression of mp3, etc. something of a "just quickly play a sound" type of thing.

yo can someone explain how to do this with mac os x? thanks.

Thanks

theEDGE,

open itunes, click itunes>preferences

change the import settings to .AIFF

click song, change start/stop times to desired message tone.

right click, create AIFF

right click new file in itunes, show in finder, rename extension from .aif to .caf

DONE

remember to untick the start/stop times on the original file and delete the new file from itunes library, but not move the new file to recycle bin.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker