+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1.1.3 Maps on 1.1.1?

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello, I know I don't post, but I do read extensively, and this time, I'm just not sure... I have 2 iPhones in my family, mine (hacked to death) and
    AJMCTAGGART
    Default 1.1.3 Maps on 1.1.1?
    Hello,

I know I don't post, but I do read extensively, and this time, I'm just not sure...

I have 2 iPhones in my family, mine (hacked to death) and another (stock ATT)...upgraded the stock to 1.1.3, and I love the maps app...

Now, something like the SMS app would obviously be outta the question, since that would relate back to a baseband issue in some way...but would the maps app as well due to the new triangulation and what not?

I'm sure I could get the files if I wanted to, I'm just not sure if copying a 1.1.3 app to a jailbroke 1.1.1 is feasible...

any answers?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AJMCTAGGART For This Useful Post:

scribble1984 (01-26-2008)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

How are you going to copy it from 1.1.3?

AJMCTAGGART
    Obviously that posts a problem, but I think there may be a way to circumvent that from some previous unix experience and a website...what I want to know is, if I have access to the apps and their respective .plists...is it possible? would it even work? just looking for some more experienced modder's opinions...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

LOL 1 post wonders...

how do you access the files as state above?

Quote Originally Posted by AJMCTAGGART View Post
    Hello,

I know I don't post, but I do read extensively, and this time, I'm just not sure...

I have 2 iPhones in my family, mine (hacked to death) and another (stock ATT)...upgraded the stock to 1.1.3, and I love the maps app...

Now, something like the SMS app would obviously be outta the question, since that would relate back to a baseband issue in some way...but would the maps app as well due to the new triangulation and what not?

I'm sure I could get the files if I wanted to, I'm just not sure if copying a 1.1.3 app to a jailbroke 1.1.1 is feasible...

any answers?

Thanks

im no dev. but i think this could work! i mean, think about it. if you copy the map app in 1.1.3 file using cyberduck and save it on your mac then ssh into your 1.1.1 iphone and then deleted the original maps app (make a backup first) then replace it with the new maps 1.1.3 app. restart the iphone and let it rip. whats the worse that could happen? if it doesnt work, delete it and put the old maps app back on ur 1.1.1. if someone can provide me with the 1.1.3 maps app ill gladly try. i dont see a major risk in it. try it!!!!!

AJMCTAGGART
    Default umm 1 post wonders...
    I have no idea why i'm a 1 post wonder, I don't want to waste anyone's time, and up to this point, there has never been a question I couldn't find an answer to, (that's a cheers in your direction?)

ANYWAYS, now that someone has made a post slowing the precious bandwidth of a site that is constantly being refreshed and gone to by many modders...

No one (to my knowledge) has tried to use brute force, bla bla bla to circumvent apple's encryption of the code, and I wouldn't either

but there is an interesting option of building a site that could get into the phone by way of reexposing the 1.1.2 Safari Tiff exploit, since that exploit was patched, it can most certainly be unpatched

I have a certain membership to development on a certain platform, in which a few short weeks I too will have a certain SDK that may make this possible,

NO need for rude remarks, even if Im way off at least I have an original idea rather than relying solely on the amazing work of the Ericas and Nates without using my brain whatsoever

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Lightbulb jailbreak?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iman07 View Post
    im no dev. but i think this could work! i mean, think about it. if you copy the map app in 1.1.3 file using cyberduck and save it on your mac then ssh into your 1.1.1 iphone and then deleted the original maps app (make a backup first) then replace it with the new maps 1.1.3 app. restart the iphone and let it rip. whats the worse that could happen? if it doesnt work, delete it and put the old maps app back on ur 1.1.1. if someone can provide me with the 1.1.3 maps app ill gladly try. i dont see a major risk in it. try it!!!!!
    How can you ssh into a 1.1.3 phone if you canīt jailbreak it yet?

Thanks

Ok you seem to have a plan, try it and let us know how it works.

Worst case is you will have to restore....right?

The next post I want to see from you is either it WORKED or it failed (no questions asking how to connect with cyberduck to your 1.1.3 phone to copy the file)

Thanks

I know this has nothing to do with this thread just want to know how to start a new one of my own cheers for your time guys .

AJMCTAGGART
    Default Cyberduck
    Honestly, I have read a lot of hostile remarks from this community, but never thought that I would get them if I posted...

You guys should check out how a forum is supposed to function when it comes to this stuff- Ubuntu has created a freakin culture in their forums, one that your questions can be answered within minutes, and you're hardly criticized when you search before asking

I think I'm done here, all I wanted was some realistic ideas, not slams, and obviously if I am using an idea that cannot be posted here because a Developer would pull my license...but most of you wouldn't have any idea about that huh?

iPhone? More like MyPhone cybergeek2021's Avatar
    Thanks

This sounds plausible if you had the file then maybe you could put it on installer for everyone else. I have a 1.1.3 phone if you can tell me how to get the maps app of there i would gladly put the app on MMi for download and then someone could put it on a source.
    Like what you see... Click on the "Thanks" Button!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pepms View Post
    How can you ssh into a 1.1.3 phone if you canīt jailbreak it yet?
    your right. sorry. i was thinking that while i was clicking refresh. haha. guess its not possible.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Nah I don't need a cookie, thanks. I just don't see a point in being a jerk about it. I know I personally can't access these files, but someone might, which is why I am asking. 1.1.3 is new, someone somewhere might have gained access, you can't prove it hasn't been done or can't be done any more than I can. I simply called you on being unnecessarily abrassive. Nothing compels you to write a post complaining about someone who has only written a single post other than your need to try and piss people off, it would seem.

Thanks

Try going through the forum and constantly seeing new threads all asking the same question that has been answered over and over and over again, and try not to be a little frustrated when someone comes in and their very first post is something they would know the answer too had they did a little bit of research in how the phone works.

I am not saying you should be a dev to understand everything. Just basic common sense and research skills that you would use in high school for a paper would be more than enough.

edit: Since he doesn't want that cookie, can I have it?

Thanks

I'm sorry guys.. I was upset about something else.. and I just flamed in here....

Simple answer is this... the phones filesystem cannot be accessed well not the partition with the OS... so as of now.. there is no way to get to these files that's what the original question was about... but in theory it maybe possible to run the new maps if we got the files..

Now just to further expand on this just a bit:

over at hackint0sh they have posted that once the phone is upgraded to 1.1.3 the inital startup takes you to the springboard and you can play with the phone but upon restart or d/c from the pc the phone will go to the activation screen... so they are looking for a possible exploit there but for now there is no more information on that..

Bottom line is this.. and my previous post did have some information in it as well... Apple changed a lot of the framework when they went to 1.1.1 so my guess is that this release did have some major improvements in it and it would be silly for Apple to make it this easy for us to just copy these features to an older version and be able to use it.. I don't see that happening.

So my guess is that we are SOL until the jailbreak comes out and the filesystem is accessed and we can see what we are dealing with.

Again I am sorry for my previous posts. Thats not me and this community is a great one yes there can be jerks like me sometimes but we are usually just having a bad day and again I am sorry for taking it out on you guys... God Bless...

Lighter

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Nah I don't need a cookie, thanks. I just don't see a point in being a jerk about it. I know I personally can't access these files, but someone might, which is why I am asking. 1.1.3 is new, someone somewhere might have gained access, you can't prove it hasn't been done or can't be done any more than I can. I simply called you on being unnecessarily abrassive. Nothing compels you to write a post complaining about someone who has only written a single post other than your need to try and piss people off, it would seem.
    Last edited by lighter; 01-17-2008 at 01:18 PM.

AJMCTAGGART
    Default Thx Lighter!
    Lighter, I don't take it personally (have a better day!)

And thanks for the info from the 1.1.1 framework and structure, that may be the show-stopper yet, but I'll keep checking it out...

For the record, I do have some background in Linux and BSD Unix, which is what I'm working with right now. This is a project, and I am aware I can't SSH FTP vterm into a 1.1.3 phone, but there are ALWAYS ways, and I'm looking for an exploit, or rather a way to get my foot in the back door of this thing...

Listen, I could give a flying ---- if i get bashed or not, but this is my personal vendetta so Ill go into it a bit more...

Using Linux (namely Ubuntu, I have gained SOME ACCESS to even the 1.1.3 phone, now this is not what has been posted before regarding a jailbroken phone and ubuntu, but amazingly, if you DONT jailbreak a phone, it charges in ubuntu w/ the 1.1.3...im working from there to get some access, and what else is amazing is that some simple chmod commands actually work to get SOME access, but I'm still WAY off

I have a machine I set up just for this purpose (Linux), so there is no Windows or Macs involved as of yet...

You all need to remember, Microsoft and Apple have done a wonderful job of making one feel that if it can't be done on their platform, it just isn't worth it, I learned this a long time ago when I started using Linux to gain access to Fat32 and NTFS drives that were simply "unbootable," by XP standards, I've recovered a lot of data this way...

I will have access to SDK, and while I may restore my phone and use it jailed in the future when apps legally are available, many wont...for them, I wanted to break these apps out and go from there...

It IS possible, and let me just say that if I have to have a Ubuntu box running Brute Force attacks on the 1.1.3 disk image for 6 weeks, I will before saying it's just not possible...

Right now Im working on a lot of theory, but until it's jailbroken, what else do we have to work on?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Jeeeezusss.....are you girls on your rags or something......talk about
    Sensitive
    You have to be cruel to be kind!

Thanks

Lighter, I don't take it personally (have a better day!)

And thanks for the info from the 1.1.1 framework and structure, that may be the show-stopper yet, but I'll keep checking it out...

For the record, I do have some background in Linux and BSD Unix, which is what I'm working with right now. This is a project, and I am aware I can't SSH FTP vterm into a 1.1.3 phone, but there are ALWAYS ways, and I'm looking for an exploit, or rather a way to get my foot in the back door of this thing...

Listen, I could give a flying ---- if i get bashed or not, but this is my personal vendetta so Ill go into it a bit more...

Using Linux (namely Ubuntu, I have gained SOME ACCESS to even the 1.1.3 phone, now this is not what has been posted before regarding a jailbroken phone and ubuntu, but amazingly, if you DONT jailbreak a phone, it charges in ubuntu w/ the 1.1.3...im working from there to get some access, and what else is amazing is that some simple chmod commands actually work to get SOME access, but I'm still WAY off

I have a machine I set up just for this purpose (Linux), so there is no Windows or Macs involved as of yet...

You all need to remember, Microsoft and Apple have done a wonderful job of making one feel that if it can't be done on their platform, it just isn't worth it, I learned this a long time ago when I started using Linux to gain access to Fat32 and NTFS drives that were simply "unbootable," by XP standards, I've recovered a lot of data this way...

I will have access to SDK, and while I may restore my phone and use it jailed in the future when apps legally are available, many wont...for them, I wanted to break these apps out and go from there...

It IS possible, and let me just say that if I have to have a Ubuntu box running Brute Force attacks on the 1.1.3 disk image for 6 weeks, I will before saying it's just not possible...

Right now Im working on a lot of theory, but until it's jailbroken, what else do we have to work on?
    Keep trying. It's because of folk like you that we are able to mod our iphones. Maybe try get in touch with other devs who know a bit about previous jailbreaking methods?

The hackint0sh irc server could be a good place - irc.osx86.hu
    To live, you have to lie

Thanks

I'd have to take exception to that. Yes, Microsoft (as you'll note in all of their propaganda and commercials) strongly gives the impression that if you want to get anything done, you HAVE to use Windows. But Apple? Remember that OSX is based on a Unix platform. Ubuntu and Aqua are simply UI's of that platform.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

Someone figured out a way to do it, but didn't share the information because it wasn't out for the iPhone and other legal issues....

Search online maybe you will find that person and find out how they did it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to macky801 For This Useful Post:

abujala (01-17-2008)