+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Changing App Store Icons

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I've searched the forums for several hours and have not found much information on this. From what I've read - you cannot simply change the icon.png in App Store applications.
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Changing App Store Icons
    I've searched the forums for several hours and have not found much information on this.

From what I've read - you cannot simply change the icon.png in App Store applications. Is this correct?

Does anyone have a workaround?

I've managed to change all the stock icons - so the question is only for applications downloaded from the App Store.

Thanks

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/skinnin...ok-inside.html

some are named icon.png, some are named other stuff..

but they arent like changing regular icons, if you just replace the appstore ones with a new icon, the app wont work anymore.

you have to save the icon file from the appstore app folder, use FIXPNG (google search it) to then view/edit it, then open it open in like photoshop or anything else and paste the new icon of your choice over top of the old one and save it. then replace it like normal.

difficult but its the only work around for the appstore ones cause just replacing them causes the app not to work anymore. you have to modify the original file icon file.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure the applications will not survive a reboot no matter how you change the icon.

Have you changed an icon and rebooted the phone and had the application work successfully?
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NetMage View Post
    I'm pretty sure the applications will not survive a reboot no matter how you change the icon.

Have you changed an icon and rebooted the phone and had the application work successfully?
    yes.

like i said, you cant replace the original icon with a new one. you have to edit the original one like i described.

works just fine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stylin97 For This Useful Post:

moppsy (07-26-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Interestingly, that does seem to work.
    Nice find.

Thanks

I just tried the icon overlay suggested by Stylin97. I couldn't get Fixpng to work on my mac - so I used iPhonebrowser (in windows) to save the png.
    I then opened the png in Preview on the Mac. I copied the png I wanted to use overtop of the original application png. I had to change the color of the original application png because I'm trying to use Aqwoah icons that have a lot of black space behind them and the original icon was showing behind.
    When I put the new png on the iPhone it worked for quite awhile. But after several backups and reboots the application eventually failed.

Am I doing something wrong?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, I had mine fail today.
    They didn't survive a restore of a backup.
    Lasted longer than just replacing the icon, which was 1 reboot.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just replaced the icon for ABContacts (Icon.png) with the icon from MobileAddressBook (icon.png). Note the case was different so I changed that. I made sure to chown to mobile/wheel and to chmod to 775. Resprung, works ok. Rebooted, works ok. Sync with iTunes 8.01, works ok.

ABContacts is a cracked IPA. I don't have winterboard or anything of the sort installed.

Should I be concerned?