+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Summerboard functionality manually

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
To tell the truth there are only two things that I really used summerboard for: one was to let the wallpaper be seen on the homescreen, and the other was
    Thanks

Default Summerboard functionality manually
    To tell the truth there are only two things that I really used summerboard for: one was to let the wallpaper be seen on the homescreen, and the other was to hide the names of the apps on the springboard. I want those two functionas badly and really don't want to wait till summberboard is ported because that could take forever.

Dows anyone know of how to activate those two functions manually? I am not averse to manipulating core system files to do it. The most important is the wallpaper thing...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm with you on that one.

Thanks

1. Wrong forum - should be File Mods

2. Wallpaper can't be done without an application or a (very, very much) lot of work. Basically you do it old school - replace the application icons with oversized icons that have the wallpaper cut in around them. Really a pain.

3. Application name hiding can be done by editing localization plists to get rid of the application name. May have consequences, I can't remember.

Basically SummerBoard is/was an excellent and easy way to do these. Hopefully it will be out soon (I haven't upgraded to 2.0 yet b/c of this).
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

Thanks

I'm on fw 2.0, no choice, I have iPhone 3G. That's all I want , wallpaper for my homescreen.

Thanks

you were right, it took a lot of work, and a fair bit of research, but you can't tell me that it wasn't worth it to have these screens. i made one more too of a forest too. those two should tide me over till summerboard comes out...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Summerboard functionality manually-img_0004.png   Summerboard functionality manually-img_0005.png  

Thanks

forest
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Summerboard functionality manually-img_0006.png   Summerboard functionality manually-img_0007.png  

Green Apple
    Thanks

I did the same thing but man...needs moar summerboard.

What's Jailbreak? Commodore Calderon's Avatar
    Thanks

Great work. Looks awesome.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    can you post the link to find out how to do this mod. I am willing to put the time and effort into this to just get the satisfaction of having a 3G. I am pretty new to the mac world never owned an ipod, just got this phone recently successfully J/B'd it, but want to customize it to my likings. obtw awesome job on your dashboards.
    Last edited by jolyrogger; 07-27-2008 at 04:48 AM.

Thanks

Default 2.0 bg
    i got a pm about the process so i'll try to post it here.

first, you take the big file posted below and place your own FULL (320x480) background picture over the one that is there. take note of the two pixel (or so) black bar below the white and above the actual start of the picture. your entire picture will not show, but the point is to skin the movable springboard part. this file should be named icon.png, and placed in the application folder of the first program on that springboard screen (if you have multiple screens.) If you want no icon in the first spot, just place your background there. if you want your program icon in that spot, after placing your background, place the original program icon over the black square area (the general area for the 1st slot icon)

the dock icon will be named SBDockBG.png for the iphone and SBDockBG2.png for the ipod touch (i think) i'm pasting the SBDockBG.png version. Cut out the bottom 320x20 of your background and paste it over the file posted, that'll be your dock.

the titlebar is named FSO_BG.png
    this file is the titlebar for the desktop.

both SBDockBG.png and FSO_BG.png are in the springboard folder under /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app

edit and replace those files and you have your new theme. after you do it once it feels pretty easy. i think i've made about 6 seperate ones now. still can't wait for summerboard to come out though... (guess i literally COULDN'T wait....)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Summerboard functionality manually-fso_bg.png   Summerboard functionality manually-sbdockbg.png   Summerboard functionality manually-icon.png  
    Last edited by kaician; 07-27-2008 at 05:02 AM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kaician For This Useful Post:

advancedservers (07-27-2008), ideama (07-29-2008), iThinkpad (07-30-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks For your help!!

gmj
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks, Kaician, for the templates. I was kind of on the right track (see results below) but with the files you attached it will work much better. I thought I had to cut out holes for the icons at first. Upper left icon - that's the key. I was using one of the middle ones.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    so basically i have to change one of icon size to 320x480? that means on the next page, you would not have the wallpaper? I have tried to change some files in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/, but no chance for now. i changed Default_BG.png, FSO_BG.png, but no chance. anyone knwo what is FST_BG.png?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaician View Post

first, you take the big file posted below and place your own FULL (320x480) background picture over the one that is there. take note of the two pixel (or so) black bar below the white and above the actual start of the picture. your entire picture will not show, but the point is to skin the movable springboard part. this file should be named icon.png, and placed in the application folder of the first program on that springboard screen (if you have multiple screens.) If you want no icon in the first spot, just place your background there. if you want your program icon in that spot, after placing your background, place the original program icon over the black square area (the general area for the 1st slot icon)

the dock icon will be named SBDockBG.png for the iphone and SBDockBG2.png for the ipod touch (i think) i'm pasting the SBDockBG.png version. Cut out the bottom 320x20 of your background and paste it over the file posted, that'll be your dock.

both SBDockBG.png and FSO_BG.png are in the springboard folder under /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app

edit and replace those files and you have your new theme. after you do it once it feels pretty easy. i think i've made about 6 seperate ones now. still can't wait for summerboard to come out though... (guess i literally COULDN'T wait....)
    I figured it out. sorta, haha, now I gotta find the original icon for SMS. I didn't figure that out until after i replaced the background
    Last edited by NSXrebel; 07-29-2008 at 04:30 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    thank you Kaician
    Last edited by ideama; 07-29-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks

So I hear some kind of app is being released tonight that will allow you to change the wallpaper/background of the homepage.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kaician View Post

thanks for this - it took some time till i got it - but this rocks big time...!

i use SpringRoll for the icons - customize couldn't convince me.
    Last edited by iThinkpad; 07-30-2008 at 08:47 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

"first, you take the big file posted below and place your own FULL (320x480) background picture over the one that is there."

i guess i am missing something? where is this file? do you just use the attachment in your post?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graphx View Post
    "first, you take the big file posted below and place your own FULL (320x480) background picture over the one that is there."

i guess i am missing something? where is this file? do you just use the attachment in your post?
    jap, you need the 3rd file in the attachment of the post.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok sorry for more questions but im in the process of working through this. do i put my background over the snow-scape picture he has there and leave the redish-pinkish area alone? i just right-clicked and saved the 3rd image attachment in his post and opened in photoshop, am i on the right track here?

i got it working. here's mine so far.

Last edited by graphx; 07-30-2008 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost