+ Reply
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HOW TO: iPhone Data Recovery

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I know that seems a stupid question, but did you choose photorec program to search for png files only? I suggest you run it again and select jpeg also because
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I know that seems a stupid question, but did you choose photorec program to search for png files only?
    I suggest you run it again and select jpeg also because the camera pics are saved in this format.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by army113 View Post
    I know that seems a stupid question, but did you choose photorec program to search for png files only?
    I suggest you run it again and select jpeg also because the camera pics are saved in this format.
    Unfortunately, yes. My first search was for jpg only. It found two jpgs that were images of iphone screens (not sure where they came from since I didn't do anything on the phone after the restore). Nothing else came up.

Are there any other settings I could try? I was just disappointed that not a single jpg was found in the 15GB image...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi. I keep getting a timeout when i try to ssh into my pc from the iphone.
    does my pc have to be in the Ubuntu Live CD mode to work for the ssh connection? Or, do I need an openssh software loaded on my pc to test the ssh connectivity before doing the Live CD method for downloading an image of my iphone?

Thanks.
    Jeff

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcheshire View Post
    Hi. I keep getting a timeout when i try to ssh into my pc from the iphone.
    does my pc have to be in the Ubuntu Live CD mode to work for the ssh connection? Or, do I need an openssh software loaded on my pc to test the ssh connectivity before doing the Live CD method for downloading an image of my iphone?

Thanks.
    Jeff
    Hi Jeff - you need to ssh into your iPhone from your ubuntu box. Army113's guide is very thorough. I would recommend following that step by step.

You will need to open a terminal window in ubuntu and do the commands he has in his post. Be sure you have OpenSSH installed on your iPhone. You will also need to know your iPhone's IP address (I just grabbed it off of the wireless router).

Jim

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well that is the catch... I wanted to test to make sure my phone could talk to my pc and was trying to do it from the iphone first. But you are saying if I can ssh from the pc to the iphone, then that should work for me to copy the files?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well that is the catch... I wanted to test to make sure my phone could talk to my pc and was trying to do it from the iphone first. But you are saying if I can ssh from the pc to the iphone, then that should work for me to copy the files?
    If you can connect from ubuntu to your iphone via SSH - you should be able to do the transfer.

I didn't do anything in Terminal on my iPhone.

Mind you, I still haven't actually recovered anything either. I just managed to get the raw image file. I have 'recovered' portions of the freshly installed OS though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to devonian69 For This Useful Post:

jbcheshire (05-11-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. Well here i go to see about copying of the image....

Well, i'm stuck. I kept getting an error on version mismatch 1 vs 2 so i left off the part about "-1" in the text string. This let me get into the iPhone. I entered the next set of commands and all i got back was the carat (>) symbol. I've checked my harddrive and I don't see any files coming over. This was started last night and still nothing. What am i doing wrong now?
    Last edited by jbcheshire; 05-12-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick reply. Well here i go to see about copying of the image....

Well, i'm stuck. I kept getting an error on version mismatch 1 vs 2 so i left off the part about "-1" in the text string. This let me get into the iPhone. I entered the next set of commands and all i got back was the carat (>) symbol. I've checked my harddrive and I don't see any files coming over. This was started last night and still nothing. What am i doing wrong now?
    Where are you getting a -1 from?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

oops, i just realized that should have been an l not a 1.... Small print hard on the eyes....

Okay, i just tried again with this command "ssh -l [email protected]" and all i got back was a list of available commands. And it brought me back the same command line as before "jeff@ubuntu:~$ " Am i still missing something?

Update....
    I managed to get into the iphone and at the prompt i entered this command:
    dd if=/dev/disk0 | ssh [email protected] 'dd of=iphone-dump.img'

And i got this response: dd: reading `/dev/disk0': Invalid argument

Did i type something wrong?
    Last edited by jbcheshire; 05-12-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ive been trying to make the image for hours now and i keep getting the same message, dd: reading `/dev/disk0': Invalid argument
    does anyone have a solution for this?

thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i managed to solve the problem i had but i dont know if this will work for everyone.

instead of dd if=/dev/disk0 | ssh root@<computer ip> 'dd of=/media/windows/dump.img'
    type:
    dd if=/dev/rdisk0s2s1 bs=1M | ssh root@<computer ip> 'dd of=/media/windows/dump.img'

i managed to get a 29GB img from my 3GS. i think this is only user data partition.

for system files type:
    dd if=/dev/rdisk0s1 bs=1M | ssh root@<computer ip> 'dd of=/media/windows/dump.img'

this gave me a 750MB img

I hope this helps

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That did work, using rdisk0s2s1, however the image file for my 16GB iphone is just over 15GB (which is expected), and when I run it through PhotoRec, I get a ton of text, sqllite, and png files. No jpg or videos. I also have a 300+MB GPG file, and a 13GB "(numbers).diskimage" file. Are my pictures and videos in there?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cgpsp View Post
    That did work, using rdisk0s2s1, however the image file for my 16GB iphone is just over 15GB (which is expected), and when I run it through PhotoRec, I get a ton of text, sqllite, and png files. No jpg or videos. I also have a 300+MB GPG file, and a 13GB "(numbers).diskimage" file. Are my pictures and videos in there?
    I also did a dump of rdisk0s2s1 and got txt, sql and png files (was looking for voicemail amr's). I just realized, though, that I still had a backup from my last iTunes sync... Might be basic for most but just in case anyone's overlooked it, if you have a backup from before data loss you can extract it from there using iPhone Backup Extractor.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

In my case, it's my wife's phone, and she never once connected to iTunes. So, the only backup I have is the first day when I connected it to activate it. Since then, she's used to it take pictures and videos of our kids. I'm really trying to get those back.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

And idea what the .gpg file or .diskimage file is?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

mcmcghee & Moe or anyone else that couldn't get their photos back, did you manage to find a solution to no photos found as I have the same problem.
    3.1.3 iphone 3Gs dd data all taken off in 2 partitions. I managed to get 2 photos off from july last year but none after that...it seems that all my photos after jailbreaking it the first time are gone.. weird.
    any help would be appreciated.
    I used photorec, data rescue 3 and some other data retrieval program, none of them worked.
    Thanks
    Last edited by gentoox86; 06-14-2010 at 07:52 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hellp?
    Last edited by ohsheeyo; 06-21-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks

could this help recover lost cycorder videos after a restore?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Barquey - it does a disk dump 'dd' of your iphone. it supposedly recovers all files but of course when it's important its the 1 file that probably won't recover, as a few of us have found out.

Has anyone resolved their JPG files not recovering?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So I have got my image off the phone and ran it through PhotoRec. I ended up getting a bunch of files, but I don't see any of my pictures. I tried searching for jpg files but found nothing. I also ended up getting like 5 sqlite files, I use SQLite Database Browser to look at them but non of them looks like my contacts.

I get a bunch of txt, xml, png, aif, and a few other file types. Is my data somewhere hidden in here?

Can someone tell me what settings to use in PhotoRec. Am I doing something wrong?

Can anyone suggest any other recovery tools besides PhotoRec? Mostly I just want to get back my contacts. Getting back my photos would be an additional plus.
    Last edited by helloman1234; 07-22-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

+ Reply
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast