+ Reply
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HOW TO: iPhone Data Recovery

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Okay thanks for the thread I have successfully created an .img of ipod touch. Now I have a problem with photorec. I scan the file and photorec only finds hundreds
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Okay thanks for the thread I have successfully created an .img of ipod touch. Now I have a problem with photorec. I scan the file and photorec only finds hundreds of .txt files. Dose this mean my data is lost?

I ran another scan and found tons more files.

What file is the contacts file. *.sqlitedb? or what
    Last edited by VampiraQula; 11-30-2009 at 10:35 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Try looking for the file type option in the photorec and make sure the .jpg box is selected.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Lightbulb Mac Guide
    Hi,

I've posted a detailed Mac-specific guide at:

Guide: Recover Lost or Deleted Photos/Files on iPhone 3G/S (Jailbroken) on a Mac

I was able to recover lost images today from an iPhone 3G and 3GS using PhotoRec. Hope this helps.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Simple recovery from backup
    If you have iTunes backups then it's easy to browse and recover the contents udner all operating systems with the free iPhoneAnalyser tool. Available on https://sourceforge.net/projects/iphoneanalyzer/.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Succeeded everything but...
    Ok hi everyone,

so I successfully did everything, got a 20 GB .img file sitting on my hard drive, scanned it with photorec, recovered a whole bunch of stuff I don't need to recover, including all kinds of website info, pictures and music...

But I still can't find the very files I actually care about: MY NOTES. I got over a 1000 .txt files from the recovery and they don't seem to be there. Has ANYONE recovered deleted notes from an ipod touch that has been restored? If most stuff from the native built-in apps are still present in the img file, logically the notes should also be there.

Can anyone help please? Am I overlooking something? What format do you think notes are in? or would I get different results if I ran the scan using different settings? Do I need special software to read certain format types? help!!!

regards.

by the way, here's the link that helped me. I used Ubuntu and everything runs smoothly if you do it right (scroll down to "extract individual files from recovered image" and follow the instructions):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

On what level the iPhone must run that i can make an image.
    Did this work in DFU?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

In Normal mode, as it usually runs. It just needs to be jailbroken with openssh and MobileTerminal installed

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi guys just wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light.

I have a iPhone 3GS 32gb (new boot ROM), jailbroken with blacksn0w.

I SSH-ed into the iPhone using an Ubuntu live-cd, and managed to dump a 30gig image using the following command:

dd if=/dev/rdisk0s2 bs=4096KB | ssh [email protected] 'dd of=/media/windows/dump.img'

I've run Photorec on the file under Windows, and it has recovered a lot of png and txt files, but no jpg. The jpg option is definitely selected in Photorec.

I did notice however that there was a 29gig .GPG file, which according to google is an encrypted file.

I'm curious - none of my music (which would easily be a few gig) nor photos have been recovered. Could they be inside the GRP file?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I got the 8gb phone and image file size is 7.6gb. When tried to mount image in the magicdisc software, error says "Failed to mount image". Any one with same problem have any info to solve? Need help to recover some photos. I also have itune backup but asking for the passcode that never been setup so don't know.

TIA.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, I have a 3GS, I dumped rdisk0s2s1 from cyberduck trough wifi.
    When I put it in a windows partition and then start photorec from windows, it dont founds anything of photos taken before restore.....
    WTF? why photorec doesnt found anything? it recovers a .swc file of about 10 GB or more but i ran out of space??
    Any suggestions of what i can do??
    thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

Im getting the same error as most of the other people.
    0 byte img and dunno wtf to do with it

just installed ubuntu and openssh on it and im still getting the same error

dd: reading '/dev/disk0': Invalid argument
    Last edited by nave3d; 05-03-2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    thanks for your great guide
    got my contacts databese from a restored phone, couldn't get them from anywhere else because my hdd broke at the same time
    repect man

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by army113 View Post
    thanks for your great guide
    got my contacts databese from a restored phone, couldn't get them from anywhere else because my hdd broke at the same time
    repect man
    Would you mind giving a short step-by-step run-through of the process you used to recover your contacts database? My phone got bricked in that Rock debacle and I'm trying to recover as much data as possible, but don't know where to look for my contacts and notes and the like... Many many thanks in advance!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecos View Post
    Would you mind giving a short step-by-step run-through of the process you used to recover your contacts database? My phone got bricked in that Rock debacle and I'm trying to recover as much data as possible, but don't know where to look for my contacts and notes and the like... Many many thanks in advance!
    First you have to reinstall the firmware (i guess you already did) and jailbreak it. You might also get an Ubuntu Live CD (or some other distro)
    Do not install any apps except those that I tell you (unless you want to lose more data than you already did):
    • OpenSSH

After installing those apps I connected to my iPhone with
    Code:
    ssh -l root <your-phones-ip>
    Type this into the computer terminal, not iPhone's.

On your iPhone set your screen to never lock and connect it to a power source. You might also want to put it near the router for faster transfer speeds.
    Then in your terminal connected to the iphone issue the command
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/disk0 | ssh <username>@<computer-ip> 'dd of=iphone-dump.img'
    You can also add a path in front of iphone-dump.img

Then you have to wait, the terminal gives no output about it's progress but you can monitor the file size in file browser on your computer.
    When it's finished (you have acces to the terminal again) install testdisk to your PC.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install testdisk
    Cd to the directory you saved the iphone-dump.img and use the command
    Code:
    sudo photorec iphone-dump.img
    After the program starts click enter and than select [Mac] Apple partition map and than pick File Opt and select the file types you want to recover (sqlite for contacts and other databases, jpg and png for pictures - just take a look and you will see).
    Than go back to the menu and than click Search.
    Click enter and pick [Other] and than choose where you want to save the recovered files. Make sure you have enough space. You navigate with left and right, when you get to the desired folder click on the line with one dot and click enter. Than the search starts. It might take a while.
    Than you can browse the recovered files and find the ones you need.

Worked great for me, got my contacts back but lost the SMS database tough.
    If somebody didn't understand something just contact me and I'll try to explain better. And again thanks for the original guide to lmarr28.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to army113 For This Useful Post:

devonian69 (05-09-2010), guls_guys (05-15-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Looks very promising - Will give it a shot and hope for the best... Thanks so much!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecos View Post
    Looks very promising - Will give it a shot and hope for the best... Thanks so much!
    I finally got the raw dump to start copying over last night. If its 16GB, its going to take over a day to copy with connection on my laptop. I should have a better idea of what I have to work with by tomorrow night after work.

Army113's guide is very helpful!

I will post again with any news. Hopefully I'll be able to recover at least 50% of what was lost.

Definitely be mindful of storage space. I am using an old laptop and started the whole process before realizing that the ubuntu partition wouldn't hold the disk image. I hooked up an external hard drive and it appears to be storing it without any problems.

Does anyone know if an interrupted file will still work? Just in case something happens, will I be able to try and use that portion to pull files from it? (if it happens, I'll know for sure I guess).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well the first time I tried this procedure the dump process stalled at 7GB (8GB iPhone 2G) and the recovery program didn't have any problems reading the files. AFAIK in searches directly in the disk sectors so it doesn't really care about fully copied files and stuff like that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Windows 7
    iPhone 3GS
    Cygwin

It starts writing on my laptop but the phone reboots when ~767mb is written, i got three equal big *.img, same problem each time.
    What could be wrong? I have set bs=1M, could that affect it? dont now what to try with...

/Rikard

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well i don't know really. I haven't tested it with Cygwin as my HDD is broken. But perhaps you could enable system log on your phone and see if anything useful comes up. And perhaps you could try the command without "bs" option. I didn't really need it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So I got a full disk image 15GB. I ran Photorec and it didn't find anything aside from the OS pictures.

I haven't deleted the img but I am not sure what I should do now. Does anyone have any recommendations? If I would have waited one more day I would have seen that someone figured out how to repair the damage that the Cydia/Rock update did. sigh...

+ Reply
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast