Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HOW TO: iPhone Data Recovery

Quote Originally Posted by 0mie View Post
    I need to recover ~600 baby pictures from my jailbroken 3.1 iPhone, but I seem to be missing BSD Subsystem and can't add any new sources. Is there anyway to get this to work? I'm probably missing something simple, but I REALLY need to get the pictures after iTunes said backup complete twice and I went to restore after my jailbreak and non of my data was there anymore

Any help? TIA
    lets see if this helps you or anyone out there.

on iphone, restore firmware, download openssh and mobile terminal.

to setup ssh server:
    download ubuntu, burn iso, boot it, select the one with no changes.

http://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linu...sktop-i386.iso

open terminal, install sshd by typing:
    sudo apt-get install openssh-server

then change password:
    sudo passwd

find your ip address, look at inet addr:
    ifconfig

now your done with the ssh server.

go to your iphone, type this in terminal:
    dd if=/dev/disk0 | ssh root@ipaddress 'dd of=/dump.img'

now go back to ssh server, find dump.img, move/copy it to your hard drive.

now reboot pc, download magicdisc:
    Mount ISO Files - Freeware MagicDisc Download

and download photorec:
    TestDisk Download - CGSecurity

mount the img file, and follow these directions to run photorec.
    PhotoRec Step By Step - CGSecurity

sorry if directions are messy, i've been working on this all day, i'm tired, n ready to sleep!

Thanks and credit goes out to Imarr28 and teeks and google search, with some yahoo answers. thanks, i'm tired, good nite!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to spoonsslick For This Useful Post:

VampiraQula (11-29-2009)

can you show more details how to use ubuntu??? and wats ip we should use? I tried my computer's IP and it came up with "connection refused".Then I used my Iphone's IP and it showed "permission denied" after typing the password. Can you help me to solve it? thanks

@ spoonsslick:

Is this being done on Windows, or Mac?

iPhone? More like MyPhone SAVAGE5's Avatar
    Thanks

So does this backup your iPhone? I recently restored my iPhone and no backups were recovered from some reason. Will this get my old contacts possibly?
    i5-

Long time reader. I don't care if you have 1 million post.

I followed the tutorial step by step, but every time i get the following error (just like PaulCelie). I tried numerous times to no success and need this to recover my daughter's baby pictures!!!!!!!!!

dd: reading /dev/disk0': invalid argument
    0+0 records in
    0_0 records out

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by 808casher View Post
    I followed the tutorial step by step, but every time i get the following error (just like PaulCelie). I tried numerous times to no success and need this to recover my daughter's baby pictures!!!!!!!!!

0+0 records in
    0_0 records out

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Yeah, same here.

same issue here:
    0+0 records in
    0_0 records out

please help.

can someone help me?
    I followed the guide and after i typed my password in I get this error message:
    Could not chdir to home directory /home/Moe: No such file or directory
    0+0 records in
    0+0 records out
    Ive got Windows 7 with OpenSSH and dd.exe.

Thanks a lot

Just FYI to everyone, I experienced many of the issues reported in this thread. I was using Windows 7. After installing Ubuntu and going that route, I was finally able to get the image to start downloading to the computer.

Default Quicker way to do all this....
    It was taking forever for the disk image to load onto my mac, so I did a little looking around and found that you can ssh over the usb by enabling tethering which was quite easy to do. Now my disk image is downloading at about 1gb/20 min rather than per hour or more.

for tethering:

step 1

iClarified - iPhone - How to Enable Tethering on Your 3.1.2 iPhone 3G, 3GS

step 2 (for ssh once tethered)

http://ex.perimental.net/

UPDATE:

So I got the disk image, ran photorec on the whole thing and it got a bunch of stuff, but none of my photos. I got the disk image right after doing a firmware restore, and I hadnt restored to a backup or taken any pictures or anything, so it would seem that my photos wouldnt have been written over yet.

just wondering if there could be anything Im overlooking... options in photorec for example that anyone had to tweak to make it work... any ideas would be appreciated!
    Last edited by shazzmere; 11-09-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Same problem, photorec found absolutely nothing from before the restore

I'm a little bit confused: should i start the dd syntax on my computer with the ssh connection to my iphone?

I just installed DD.exe to the BIN. folder and then I proceeded with the transfer method and it seems to go through but I get this little ordeal...

[email protected]'s password:
    rawwrite dd for windows version 0.3.
    Written by John Newbigin <[email protected]>
    This program is covered by the GPL. See copying.txt for details
    dd [bs=SIZE] [count=BLOCKS] [if=FILE] [of=FILE] [seek=BLOCKS] [skip=BLOCKS] [--l
    ist] [--progress]
    SIZE may have one of the following suffix:
    k = 1024
    M = 1048576
    G = 1073741824
    iPhone:~ root# dd if=/dev/disk0 | ssh [email protected] 'dd of=iphone.img'--
    localwrt
    [email protected]'s password:
    rawwrite dd for windows version 0.5.
    Written by John Newbigin <[email protected]>
    This program is covered by the GPL. See copying.txt for details

What is going on? Do i need to enter something else??

Hi

I'm trying to recover some cycorder videos from an iphone. I've gotten the image off the phone using DD, but wanted to know what the correct settings for photorec are.

I believe it is "Apple" partition type and HFS+ file system. I got a lot of .mov files out, but most are corrupted. One file did work.. so maybe those settings are correct?

Anyone know of software to recover parts of a bad .mov file?

Thanks!

guys, pardon the interruption, but I think that the best way of doing this would be directly through the USB cable, am I right? because wi-fi seems to just take FOREVER....
    I have been able to ssh into my iphone from my laptop running ubuntu 9.10 over the usb cable, but I haven't been able to do it the other way around. Do any of you guys have any ideas on this?

Quote Originally Posted by shazzmere View Post
    UPDATE:

So I got the disk image, ran photorec on the whole thing and it got a bunch of stuff, but none of my photos. I got the disk image right after doing a firmware restore, and I hadnt restored to a backup or taken any pictures or anything, so it would seem that my photos wouldnt have been written over yet.

just wondering if there could be anything Im overlooking... options in photorec for example that anyone had to tweak to make it work... any ideas would be appreciated!
    i get the exact same thing- copied the image to my pc and tried to use photorec to get my pictures back but none of my photos are there anymore, there is however heaps of corrupt .png files.
    only thing i did differently to shazzmere is attempt a restore from what i thought was a good backup within itunes.
    anyone have any ideas?

thanks for the guide though lmarr28

[edit] i have also noticed that i cannot mount the image file in magic iso or poweriso [/edit]
    Last edited by Origin_Unknown; 11-25-2009 at 06:05 AM.

I'm in the same position as others here - I have an image on my computer's drive, but it's zero (0) kb in size and contains nothing to recover.

0+0 records in
    0+0 records out
    0 bytes transferred in 0.000011 secs (0 bytes/sec)

I don't see a reply to the others here. Any ideas?

Thanks - I'm almost there.
    Last edited by thewitt; 11-26-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hey, anyone done it on windows? I am running win 7, have done everything excet i cant mount the image...? Any sdgestions? Thanks...

OK... I don't know what happened, but I finally started getting a transfer (user error?).

And now, as above, I have an unmountable image (8 Gb). I'm on OS X, what should I use to recover?

Thanks for the input.

Default How to
    Ok, wanted to return something to the community here.

I helped my gf grab files off her iphone. I didn't do this process myself, but I did the research for her, so I'm familiar with most of the issues.

*NOTE: DO NOT DO AN ITUNES "RESTORE FROM BACKUP" ON YOUR PHONE BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS. YOU'LL PROBABLY OVERWRITE A LOT OF STUFF MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO RECOVER MUCH. IDEALLY YOU HAVE A PHONE WITH A CLEAN IMAGE (DFU MODE, ITUNES RESTORE OS ONLY) AND JAILBROKEN.

We tried doing everything using Windows, but there were so many problems we gave up.

Major credit to spoonsslick and the original poster. I used spoonsslick's instructions for doing everything using a ubunto livecd. Here are my modified instructions with more details:

Linux experts or whoever, unless you believe I'm suggesting something that is VERY wrong, please don't critique as you'll just add more spam to the thread with ineffectual suggestions.

Ok, here are instructions that I know work (using WiFi):

Move your computer/laptop and iphone close to your router to maximize transfer speeds.

Download and burn ubuntu to a CD or DVD:

http://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linu...sktop-i386.iso

* I write a lot of comments in parentheses (), so don't actually type stuff in brackets.

On your computer/laptop:

Boot from liveCD (you may need to go into your BIOS and re-arrange the boot order such that your CD-ROM loads before your hard disk containing windows. google for help if you need.)

- Open a terminal window, install sshd by typing:
    sudo apt-get install openssh-server

- Update root password (I know the 2 commands below probably do the same thing, but no harm doing both):
    sudo passwd
    sudo passwd root

sudo -s (this should change you to the root user so that you have full control over your system)

fdisk -l (this should list all your hard drive partitions)

you'll see an output like the following:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hdb1 * 1 2432 19535008+ 86 NTFS
    /dev/hdb2 2433 2554 979965 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/hdb3 2555 6202 29302560 83 Linux

look on the right end of each line to find something that matches your local hard disk drive (it'll most likely say ntfs)
    find the device (line) you want, and note the /dev/XXX in the front of the line. the XXX represents your partition

mkdir /media/windows (creates a folder to link your drive)
    mount /dev/XXX /media/windows/ -t ntfs -o nls=utf8,umask=0222 (link your drive)

replace the XXX with your partition from the fdisk command

for example, on my laptop, it was this (sda2 was my partition identifier):

mount /dev/sda2 /media/windows/ -t ntfs -o nls=utf8,umask=0222

cd /media/windows2
    ls -l

the above 2 lines should display the contents of your drive. look and see if you recognize files from your HD. if you do, you're good to go. i'm not sure why spoonsslick didn't provide instructions for this because ubuntu creates a 1gb ram disk, and your iphone image will be minimum 8 gb... so you'd be stuck after transferring 1gb. if someone has better instructions on mounting a HD in ubuntu, feel free to comment.

find your ip address, look at inet addr:
    ifconfig (or is it ipconfig? my gf didn't comment, so i guess one of these commands will give it to you)

Your computer/laptop at this stage should be ready to receive and write the dd dump file.

Ok, now to iphone:

You'll need a jailbroken iphone. Google if it's not to get instructions.

Our home network uses the standard 192.168.1.### ip range standard on most routers. If you use something else, then change the first 3 octets to match yours in the instructions below.

In cydia, install terminal, mobileterminal, and openssh. Reboot iphone. I remember one of the terminals didn't actually create an icon to run the terminal program, so just install both to save time.

set phone to auto dim and set phone to a lower brightness to use less battery (in case phone runs out of power sending over wifi before the file gets transferred; someone earlier had this problem, but we didn't)

start terminal on your phone by clicking the icon:

type the following commands:

ssh [email protected] (xxx is IPHONE ip - password alpine)
    rm .ssh/known_hosts (this removes the saved host keys so you don't get permission denied error if you boot from the live cd more than once since each new boot creates an unique key that will mess everything up)

ssh [email protected] (xxx is computer ip, we run this so it will ask you if you want to save the key, type "yes")

exit (you ssh'd into the computer, "exit" gets you out since you don't want to actually be in the computer directly)

dd if=/dev/disk0 | ssh root@<computer ip> 'dd of=/media/windows/dump.img'

replace the <computer ip> with your computer ip. hopefully it'll ask you for the root password and then write to your mounted HD

if your network is fast and you can get 500k+, it'll take a few hours. make sure your phone is plugged into the wall to get maximum power recharge so your phone doesn't run out of battery partway through.

You have a dump image file. Don't try to mount using poweriso/ultraiso/magiciso as that's not what you want to do.

Google photorec and learn to use that. The first few links will give you decent instructions, or you can fool around a bit yourself. If you didn't overwrite your phone flash, you should be able to recover quite a bit.

Good luck.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to strifej For This Useful Post:

YoungDragun (01-26-2012)

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast