Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HOW TO: iPhone Data Recovery

Quote Originally Posted by scroll1 View Post
    Hi flager,
    on the G5 (running Leopard), go into the system preferences > sharing and make sure "remote login" is ticked. It should also show you how to log in via ssh into that machine.
    I would try now to log in from the phone to the G5. At the terminal on the phone type "ssh username@ipaddress". with no inverted commas and you G5 login username and ip address info of the G5. You will probably have to type "yes" to allow the ssh connection, however eventually it should log you in. Now type "exit" to log off of the G5 and try the command on the phone:
    dd if=/dev/disk0 | ssh <username>@<computer-ip> 'dd of=iphone-dump.img'

you may need to be su user on the phone, just type su and the password alpine (I think...) to become su user on the phone.

good luck

Scroll1

Thank you for your support. The only thing that I was not doing, was the "exit" command after ssh to my G5. Now It appears I found a stone at every step I make.
    This is my problem now:
    The process works perfectly until the image size reaches 1G or 1.1G. Then the WiFi connection drops automatically.
    I have repeated the process several times but it stucks at 1G aprox. I guess it is a log out time issue not a img size reason. When I leave terminal in the iPhone, Wifi returns.
    So i need help "again" Thank you

Update: I finally can do it. I've restarted my G5 in Tiger on other volume and everything works perfectly. I've mounted the img, scanned with data rescue and NOW where I have to look for the deleted files??
    Last edited by flager; 08-21-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Umm... am I blind or is there nowhere in the steps to set a password?

When I try to ssh into my PC from my iphone, it asks for a password and I'm not sure what to put.

Ok guys i need your help i have a big problems and i dont know if this could help me.

I was on 1.1.4 then i decided to update to 2.0 with pwned ... so then i restore it to "Custom-iPhone1,1_2.0.1_5B108_Restore"

and all my pictures are gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME!

Alright, just to clear some things up;

1) Your Windows PC must have a password setup in the user accounts, and THAT'S the password with which you use to login to your PC from your iPhone.

2) If you use OpenSSH for Windows, make sure to download dd.exe and place it in the copenssh\bin\ directory. OpenSSH for Windows doesn't come with this.

So now I've got it dumping my iPhone's image, but it stops at about 1.2GB just like flager.
    However, this is only machine so I can't "start on another volume". Any suggestions on why it stops?

Thanks!

juzin: Did you have a specific question about this method of recovering files?

yes i would like to know if this method will work for my problems?

How do I find out where my photos are stored? I ssh'd in and looked up and down but couldn't find the directory.

In particular, my Camera app stops working. It takes pictures but there is no thumb nail (blank frame) and when I click a frame, it takes me out of Camera app. Thereafter the Photo app shows "No Photos".

I am trying to re-create the directory for it.

OK I had the problem where the iPhone disconnects after about 1.2 GB.

Here's what I did to ensure the phone's connection: I set the timer on the phone to 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, I'd go to settings > Wireless networks.
    Then Go back to the timer and reset it.

I don't know if the phone just needed ANY kind of activity or if having it search for networks each time kept it alive, but it worked.

Now I have the disk image on my Windows XP hard drive.

However, getting the disk image is only half the battle.

PhotoRec has a ton of settings (type of file system, which partition to choose, what the files will be named when they are recovered, should Paranoid option be turned on, etc) to configure.

Can anyone elaborate on this step?
    And what are the pictures called anyway? I don't think they are .jpg on the iPhone but some format the iPhone creates when it sync's pictures.

Thanks!

I succesfully create the dump image on my imac running leopard, to avoid the problem of the iphone that keeps disconnecting at around 1 gb I left it on the setting page for wireless connection, that solved the problem.

But now I am not able to mount the disk image created, with disk utility, I also try with a new dump image but I recive an error when attempting to mount.

The size of the image is 7.54 GB for an iphone of 8GB.

Any help is much appreciated,

thanks,

Enrico

I'm not sure about your question, Teeks. But I would just go ahead and try it.

I also have the 7.54GB image that has been sitting on my HDD for about a month.

All I want to do is save the images that were in my camera roll before my phone crashed, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that.

I try various settings with PhotoRec, but nothing coherent comes out.

Hi,

Thanks for the post !

I have a stupid question... but I just want to be sure before proceeding :

My phone is in recovery mode (the usual apple logo with the white cable under). I have to FIRST restore the Iphone through Itunes before being capable of installing SSH, connecting to it, etc... ?????

Default i Phone Contact Recovery
    The information above is awesome!

The information above is awesome! I have an iPhone where all the contacts were gone after upgrade to 2.2. They were never stored anywhere else. Then before they could be recovered itunes synced with the phone and now the backup doesn't contain the contacts either.

Are the contacts stored as flat files on the iPhone? Is so is it know where they are located in the directory structure?

Also, does itunes write over the existing backups each time or does it delete all the backup files and write the newer data files to the directory? Can I run a data recovery tool on my computer and recover the older backups files. Can these these then be used in a restore?

Thanks in advance.

wwww.tracetechnologies.us
    Last edited by jcdixon413; 12-09-2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

my img file is 11 gigabyte big

i have a windows baced desktop and a macbook with leopard

can somebody give me advise how to mount it? Because i first have to mount it if i want to use a data recovery program right???

does anywone know what kind of file the contacts are??

because i am searching for my contacts

Quote Originally Posted by arashrsf View Post
    my img file is 11 gigabyte big

i have a windows baced desktop and a macbook with leopard

can somebody give me advise how to mount it? Because i first have to mount it if i want to use a data recovery program right???

does anywone know what kind of file the contacts are??

because i am searching for my contacts

ok now i have recoverd the img. file with photorec!

very great! but does someone know where i can find my contacts?

does anybody know what kind of file it is or something?

thnx
    Last edited by arashrsf; 02-01-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Would this work if phone have not been jailbreaked
    Hi,

Do I have to have a jailbreak iphone for this to work?

Thanks for this great tip! There is some hope i guess...
    SSH on both the iPhone and Leopard is running fine...But after I run the command on the phone it gives me "Input/Output error"

Any suggestions please? i know i'm very close...!

edit:
    running as root

Thank you for the tips.

I follow steps and now here's the problem.

When I 'dd' I get the 'The output path is on a local drive. Specify the --localwrt option if you want to write to a local drive'

Then i tried to use that -localwrt option like this...

dd if=/dev/disk0 | ssh <username>@<computer-ip> 'dd of=dump.img -localwrt'
    or

dd if=/dev/disk0 | ssh <username>@<computer-ip> 'dd -localwrt of=dump.img'
    the result is same...

Anyone got any idea?

Thanks in advance.

I use 'dd' utility from Forensic Acquisition Utilities
    Last edited by sveto; 04-08-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Default please help
    I am a pianist headed for musics academy, and I recorded my interpretative degree with my iphone (15 minutes of hardcore piano pieces like La Campanella and Tarantella). the only problem is that the recording got accidentally deleted on saturday.
    I only have windows 7 on my laptop and a jailbroken 2.2.1 3G.
    Please teach me how to dump iphone data onto windows through ssh, because I have tried and tried to connect to my windows from my iphone over ssh using various ssh servers, but I havent been able to even though windows firewall and any other such security software is turned off.

Please, how do I dump iphone data onto windows?
    And also, can I only dump a specific folder from my iphone, like, say, private/var/mobile? (or something like that)

Please help, it is a very precious recording. I havent restored or written data on the iphone since saturday. THanks a lot!!!!!!!

root@sesebuntu:~# sudo mkdir /media/fuseiso
    root@sesebuntu:~# sudo fuseiso iphone-dump.img /media/fuseiso
    Supplied image file name: "/root/iphone-dump.img"
    Can`t open image file: No such file or directory
    root@sesebuntu:~# sudo fuseiso iphone-dump.img /media/fuseiso
    init: wrong standard identifier in volume descriptor 0, skipping..
    init: wrong standard identifier in volume descriptor 1, skipping..
    init: wrong standard identifier in volume descriptor 2, skipping..
    init: wrong standard identifier in volume descriptor 3, skipping..
    init: wrong standard identifier in volume descriptor 4, skipping..
    init: wrong standard identifier in volume descriptor 5, skipping..
    init: wrong standard identifier in volume descriptor 6, skipping..
    init: wrong standard identifier in volume descriptor 7, skipping..
    init: wrong standard identifier in volume descriptor 8, skipping..
    init: wrong standard identifier in volume descriptor 9, skipping..
    init: wrong standard identifier in volume descriptor 10, skipping..
    init: wrong standard identifier in volume descriptor 11, skipping..
    init: wrong standard identifier in volume descriptor 12, skipping..
    init: wrong standard identifier in volume descriptor 13, skipping..
    init: wrong standard identifier in volume descriptor 14, skipping..
    init: wrong standard identifier in volume descriptor 15, skipping..
    init: wrong standard identifier in volume descriptor 16, skipping..
    init: wrong standard identifier in volume descriptor 17, exiting..
    root@sesebuntu:~#

does this mean that my ssh connection ended before the .img could be transfered correctly? (the dump?) I have a 16 gb 3g, but the .img file I got now is only 11.4 gb. is this ok?

Also, is there a way I could do this over USB? please????? my wifi is greatly annoying me............... ubuntu, windows, doesnt matter (I dont have a mac though) please help!

Hi flager ,
    does this method also works for a jailbroken iphone with pictures from let's say a year ago. ?
    I did since then several syncs, restores, and firmware updates with itunes.

thanks for your help.

I setup a OpenSSH server on my PC (Vista) using copssh. When I try to login (ssh [email protected]) from the terminal on my iPhone, it asks for the password. I'm entering the same password as the windows user account. However it gives me a permission denied error and aborts after 3 tries.

Any help?

you will need to ssh into the iphone using root user:

ssh root@IPADDRESSOFiPHONE

password should be: dottie

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast