+ Reply
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HOW TO: iPhone Data Recovery

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Would this work on an iPhone 5 jailbroken?
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Would this work on an iPhone 5 jailbroken?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OK.. I have tried this procedure among others and I cannot access my phones internal memory. It will not mount. I have tried with putty, using wondershare, and pretty much anything else. I can SSH into it, the phone goes into DFU mode fine but I cannot mount mnt1 or mnt2. I have run across two phones now with this same problem both are iPhone 4's. The first one was running IOS7 and I assumed it was just something new but the one now is a 4 with 6.1.3 and it has never been anything newer. The only thing they both have in common is that the first one had the password tried too many times and was disabled but I got the correct password and entered it and cleared that up. Then the one now is disabled and I am not sure I can ever open it up. I cannot crack the password because the drives wont mount, I also cannot jailbreak for the same reason, and obviously trying to ssh into it to crack it or just to save the data is impossible. Is there any way around this problem?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you don't have a back up - and now you've learned that lesson - you'll need a file recovery app like File Salvage.

This will scan the disk looking for recoverable files. It will find many of the same name. IN every case always recover the largest file size.

Regards

Steven Huntt

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you have no backup of your phone then there is no way for you to recover the deleted photos, sorry it's gone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lmarr28 View Post
    Recently, I bricked my iPhone and had to restore it in iTunes. In the process, I lost a bunch of photos from my Camera Roll that hadn't been saved to my computer yet. After an endless amount of Google searching, I finally found a way to recover, or "undelete" data from the iPhone. This guide will focus on recovering photos, since that's what I had to do, but the same process could be used to recover other lost data.

What you'll need:
    - Jailbroken iPhone
    - BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH installed on your iPhone
    - Terminal (or MobileTerminal) installed on your iPhone
    - An SSH server installed on your computer (mine is running Ubuntu 7.10 with OpenSSH)
    - The 'DD' utility installed on your computer (this should be pre-installed on most Linux systems)
    - Your iPhone's IP address
    - Your computer's IP address

First, make sure that your iPhone and computer are on the same LAN. You can try to ping your computer from your iPhone (using Terminal) and vice versa, just to make sure they can see each other on your LAN. For example:
    Code:
    ping 192.168.1.215
    Next, you'll want to make sure that you can SSH into your computer from the iPhone. To do that, open Terminal on the iPhone and enter:
    Code:
    ssh <username>@<computer-ip>
    Where:
    <username> = Your user name on the computer.
    <computer-ip> = Your computer's IP address on the LAN.

If that worked, you should be prompted to enter a password for <username>. If the connection times out, then you need to make sure that you have the SSH server running on your computer and make sure that port 22 (the default SSH port) isn't being blocked by your router's firewall.

Once you know that your iPhone and the computer are talking to each other, open Terminal on the iPhone and run the following command to begin transferring the iPhone's "disk" image to your computer (be sure to run this as root using 'su'):
    NOTE: Make certain that your iPhone's screen lock is disabled first. If the screen lock comes on, it will kill the SSH connection. Also, you'll want to connect your iPhone to its charger. This transfer can take a while.
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/disk0 | ssh <username>@<computer-ip> 'dd of=iphone-dump.img'
    The above command will create a "disk" image of your iPhone (named "iphone-dump.img") on your computer. Feel free to use a different name or a different destination directory. For example: 'dd of=/home/username/iphone-dump.img'.

Also, be sure that you don't mix up the "if" (input-file) and "of" (output-file) in the command above. Doing so could wipe-out your iPhone.

After the process has completed and the iPhone's image file has been saved to your computer, you can use a program like PhotoRec to recover your photos.

I hope this helps!
    Everyone keeps saying you can't do this, but above are the directions to do it. So, my question is, has anyone else tried this? And will it work on iphone 5 jailbroken? Or do I give up.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does the above super involved solution do the asme thing as dr wondershare, etc???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lmarr28 View Post
    Recently, I bricked my iPhone and had to restore it in iTunes. In the process, I lost a bunch of photos from my Camera Roll that hadn't been saved to my computer yet. After an endless amount of Google searching, I finally found a way to recover, or "undelete" data from the iPhone. This guide will focus on recovering photos, since that's what I had to do, but the same process could be used to recover other lost data.

What you'll need:
    - Jailbroken iPhone
    - BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH installed on your iPhone
    - Terminal (or MobileTerminal) installed on your iPhone
    - An SSH server installed on your computer (mine is running Ubuntu 7.10 with OpenSSH)
    - The 'DD' utility installed on your computer (this should be pre-installed on most Linux systems)
    - Your iPhone's IP address
    - Your computer's IP address

First, make sure that your iPhone and computer are on the same LAN. You can try to ping your computer from your iPhone (using Terminal) and vice versa, just to make sure they can see each other on your LAN. For example:
    Code:
    ping 192.168.1.215
    Next, you'll want to make sure that you can SSH into your computer from the iPhone. To do that, open Terminal on the iPhone and enter:
    Code:
    ssh <username>@<computer-ip>
    Where:
    <username> = Your user name on the computer.
    <computer-ip> = Your computer's IP address on the LAN.

If that worked, you should be prompted to enter a password for <username>. If the connection times out, then you need to make sure that you have the SSH server running on your computer and make sure that port 22 (the default SSH port) isn't being blocked by your router's firewall.

Once you know that your iPhone and the computer are talking to each other, open Terminal on the iPhone and run the following command to begin transferring the iPhone's "disk" image to your computer (be sure to run this as root using 'su'):
    NOTE: Make certain that your iPhone's screen lock is disabled first. If the screen lock comes on, it will kill the SSH connection. Also, you'll want to connect your iPhone to its charger. This transfer can take a while.
    Code:
    The above command will create a "disk" image of your iPhone (named "iphone-dump.img") on your computer. Feel free to use a different name or a different destination directory. For example: 'dd of=/home/username/iphone-dump.img'.

Also, be sure that you don't mix up the "if" (input-file) and "of" (output-file) in the command above. Doing so could wipe-out your iPhone.

After the process has completed and the iPhone's image file has been saved to your computer, you can use a program like PhotoRec to recover your photos.

I hope this helps!
    I'm trying this on an iPhone 4S with a Macbook Pro using 10.9.1 Maverick.

Where would the actual .img file show up on my computer?

I also can't manage to make it work. As soon as I try to execute the final command, and type my password, nothing happens. Not an error, not any progress; the command line just stays like that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scroll1 View Post
    Hi flager,
    on the G5 (running Leopard), go into the system preferences > sharing and make sure "remote login" is ticked. It should also show you how to log in via ssh into that machine.
    I would try now to log in from the phone to the G5. At the terminal on the phone type "ssh username@ipaddress". with no inverted commas and you G5 login username and ip address info of the G5. You will probably have to type "yes" to allow the ssh connection, however eventually it should log you in. Now type "exit" to log off of the G5 and try the command on the phone:

you may need to be su user on the phone, just type su and the password alpine (I think...) to become su user on the phone.

good luck
    Right click your iPhone in your iTunes' sidebar, then select "Restore Lost Data from iPhone Backup". iTunes should ask you now what backup you want to restore from, just select the latest one (should be preselected) and it should start restoring all you data.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Do not restore with iTunes again. After that, you may check your iTunes backup first. If there is more than one backup available, you can select a previous backup. If you can find the right backup, you can recover lost data from iPhone backup.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Iphone Recovery
    Hi,

I have an iphone 5c. I just got back from Europe, plugged my iphone into my computer and accidently hit restore to a back up from a different device from 2011. After I had realized what I had done, I immediately unplugged the device and it was restored to factory settings. I lost all 1,300 of the pictures that I had taken. I have been desperately trying to recover these pictures. Apple was not able to do this, and neither were the software programs Wondershare, Vibosoft, Leawo, or iphone 5 recovery. I was wondering if this method is any different. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

+ Reply
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314