Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HOW TO: iPhone Data Recovery

Default Trying to get image
    I'm trying to follow the guide posted here but Terminal keeps crashing on my iPhone. Is there another way to get my iPhone's image w/o using Terminal? Or could someone tell me how to get Terminal to work (in layman's terms). All I'm trying to do is recover some photos/videos my toddler deleted before I was able to back up my phone. I'm using Windows XP, and iPhone 4, iOS 4.0.2, jailbroken with limera1n.

So far I've also tried just mounting my phone as a drive, but photorec doesn't recognize it, neither does any other recovery software I've tried.

Hi,

I originally had the "terminal crashing" problem as well. It means that your version of mobile terminal is not compatible with cyndia.

To fix: Install a different version of mobile terminal.
    To do this, add a different repository to your iphone and download terminal from the new repository.

Im sorry that i cant give you a new repository address to try. I dont have the iphone I was working with anymore. (it was my uncles)

But just hunt around the internet for repositories, check if the mobile terminal version is a different version than the one on your iphone, if it is, download it and try!

Hope this helps!

Good luck everyone!

Found a compatible version at Index of /repository with specific instructions at Learn How To Install MobileTerminal V4.2.6 The Easy Way! [iOS4 Compatible Version] | iJailbreak - Apple iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Apple TV Jailbreak, Unlock, Cydia News

Still remains to be seen whether I can recover my lost photos, but now I'm one step closer lol

Ok, now I'm ready to create the image but it keeps asking me for the user's password for my computer. It is not accepting the only password I know of. Ideas?
    Last edited by dkirklin; 01-12-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Photoc rec does not properly read the content
    Quote Originally Posted by 143voltron View Post
    I've sent it over to you. Keep us posted pls.
    Hi,

I have iPhone 4 16GB - IOS 4.0.1 - Jaibroken (jailbreakme).
    I have managed to get my 16GBytes img file with DD (ubuntu).
    Then I ran photorec with this img as input file - It's well recognised, and it had been parsed , but with no result.
    Photorec did not even recognised a .jpg that was present onto my IPhone. Therefore I am suspecting photorec is not able to properly parse and recognise patterns inside the img file.

Could you please send me this link you are referring to, that I can try it, or any clue to properly parse this DD image file.
    That's would be appreciated. Regards.
    AlexC.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the same problem reported by many on this thread also. I was able to get an img of my phone 4, running 4.2.1 saved on my computer. I have ran photorec several times and nothing is returned. I read somewhere that after 4.0, the raw img is encrypted and cannot be decrypted. Can anyone here confirm this? Has anyone been successful restoring pictures from 4.2.1?

Thanks,

I read this thread but i still have problem witch creating image of my iphone4 4.2.1

I used macOS and when i tryin copy iphone to computer i use command:

dd if=/dev/disk0s2s1 | ssh test@my_computer_ip 'dd of=iphone4.img'

resource is busy

They create iphone4.img but is size=0kb
    Last edited by PPCjonathan; 01-26-2011 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 143voltron View Post
    I have found a program similar to Iphone backup extractor!!!!!!!

I'm a window user and usually there are backup extractor out there for mac's for free. Until I found this program, I have been searching the web for weeks and weeks to retrieve pics of my newborn and son that I had lost. I have read blogs, threads dating back to 2008, I was so determine that my wife thought that I was cheating on her with the pc lol.

I know this is silly but to some of us...pictures are priceless.

There is no commands needed, don't have to use mobile terminal just download and find your last backup.

Don't forget to hit the thank you button if I have helped you.
    Can you please share what program you found? Thanks a bunch! (PM me if possible)

will this works on iphone 4 ?

Can I recover deleted voice nemo from iphone4?
    What program is the best for this.
    I have iphon partition image

Default hfs explorer browses well , data size are the good ones, but can not get them readable
    Hi Guys,

Some updates I would like to share with the community on my previous post in this tread.
    Recap : HW : iPhone 4 / ios4.0.1 / PC ubuntu 10.10 for getting disk image / PC windows for post-processing with HFSexplorer, HxD.
    (I have lost around 3 months of my personnal pictures taken during my holidays with my wife, as I did not use iTunes to charge the iPhone ... know it's big mistake now ...)

Here are the updates : (many brackets to explain)
    I got my 15GB rdisk0s2s1 (without unmount). (dd stuff, with BS=4096 with netcat over the WIFI...).
    Photorec does not recognise something (we know)....

But : I ran hfsexplorer : all my trees of data are there and clear (all can be browsed), with the clear names of files, and the correct data files size (I've used iFiles onto my IPhone, and I made some checks with plist files for instance, and even one clear picture I put especially on it in order to be sure I can get at least one ...)
    Once I am asking to extract a file from hfsexplorer : data file is extracted with but unreadable (it's a mess of hexa values instead of the expected files signature in hexa for plist, or for my picture).

What's wrong here, any clue ?
    Thanks for your help.
    AlexC

Hi guys,

Just to say that I have made a successful dump of a 3GS that I restored (version 4.2.1). Impossible to get back one photo, 5 sqlite files but nothing interesting in it...

Has someone ever managed to restore any data from a 3GS or 4 ?

Steph

PLease some help. I m trying to make the img file throu usb. Everything is good but i have one problem.When it starts copying the iphone disk and creating the img file the speed is very good but the img file richs the 60 MB it starts copying really very slow or some times stops. Can anyone help?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Last edited by anu0512; 03-24-2011 at 07:49 AM.

This is my first post and I have found the information in this thread to be immensely helpful. Thanks for the help thus far.

I have a 1st gen iphone and a win7 computer. I downloaded an iphone 4 app on my iphone and it blew up my iPhone(it would get stuck booting and would stay on the silver apple). I had to do a restore on my phone to get it to boot up again. Unfotunately, I didn't backup my iphone so the restore killed all of my data.

I was able to get through the following:

1. Jailbreak my iphone. (Download Spirit to Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3, iPad 3.2, iPod touch 3G | Redmond Pie). The Cydia How-to section explains how to install OpenSSH and change the root password of the phone.

2. Transfer the DD image as outlined in the 1st post of this thread. I installed VMplayer (VMware Player: Run Windows 7, Chrome OS - Free Download for a Virtual PC) on my Win7 computer and installed Ubuntu 10.0.4 (Download | Ubuntu) and then installed VMware Tools on it (file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/VMware/VMware%20Player/help/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm#href=t_install_tools_from_command_line_ with_tar_or_rpm.html&single=true)
    Afterward, I installed OpenSSH on it. (Ubuntu Starter Guide - SSH Server). I also created a shared folder between my Win7 Host and Ubuntu guest. Note I had to reinstall the VMware tools after OpenSSH was installed for some reason (vmware - Ubuntu 10.04: an error occurred while mounting /mnt/hgfs - Super User). I ran the SSH DD command from my iphone to the Ubuntu VM and was able to download the iphone disk image. Took me about 1GB every 2 hours if I remember correctly via my Wireless G network. The image was stored in my linux home folder. I then copied it to the shared location so that my Win7 host could get to it.

3. I downloaded Windows version of PhotoRec and used it to scan the DD image that was stored in the shared location (PhotoRec Step By Step - CGSecurity). It took a few hours for it to finish scanning the DD image. I then used the Win7 search function to scan and search all the recovery directories for photos (jpg) images. I searched for *.jpg and added the filter to only display images that were greater than 300Kb. I was able to get all my previously lost pictures back.

Now, this is where I'm stuck. I want to retrieve/recover my notes and contacts. I found that PhotoRec has found a bunch of .sqlite files and as I understand it this is the extension used by both the Notes and Contacts. All the posts I've seen so far getting to the Contacts and Notes involve accessing a previous iPhone backup so these posts were not too helpful in my case. I did find a Firefox add-in that can read the .sqlite extension; however, I have not been able to get much data out of the opened .sqlite files (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...qlite-manager/). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is this 100% confirmed that it will NOT work for an iPhone4 4.2.1 ?

Is there ANY solution at all? I desperately need to recover a bunch of photos that were lost.

I got a new iphone 4 and went on a mini vacation, took a ton of photos. When I got back I synced up the phone to my laptop but apparently the photos did not save... not realizing it, I did a restore from backup, copying my 3gs info over to my iphone4. Thus.. losing all the new photos.

Please.. please.. please if someone has any kind of a solution please help. I cannot bear to think of these memories going to trash

Default dd code correction
    Just to correct the incorrect code for creating an image of your iPhone using dd...The correct code is as follows:

Code:
    dd if=/dev/rdisk0s2 bs=4096KB | dd of=iphone-dump.img
    Original Post:
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarr28 View Post
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/disk0 | ssh <username>@<computer-ip> 'dd of=iphone-dump.img'

Key Search Phrases:
    How to recover lost iPhone data. How to recover iPhone backup data. How to recover deleted iTunes iPhone backup data. How to recover files from iTunes iPhone Backup. iPhone data recovery. iPhone data rescue.

I read a post elsewhere in which posixninja confirmed that in 4.0 and later the raw dump will be encrypted.

n iOS4 all the files on the user partition are now encrypted, and are decrypted on the fly when requested. this is why dumping raw devices no longer works.
    No-one has solved this yet. But if someone is motivated enough the encryption details are stored in /private/var/keybags/systembag.kb

[QUOTE=bu11etpr00f;5885780]Just to correct the incorrect code for creating an image of your iPhone using dd...The correct code is as follows:

Code:
    dd if=/dev/rdisk0s2 bs=4096KB | dd of=iphone-dump.img

Hi, that worked for me , but how to save on PC not on ihpone ? The other codes doent work for me. i get error.

This is very difficult. Is there any other possibility to recover photos ? I have recovery software, but they can not acces my iphone. Any ideas ?
    Last edited by Hanuta; 03-23-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neenja View Post
    Is this 100% confirmed that it will NOT work for an iPhone4 4.2.1 ?

Is there ANY solution at all? I desperately need to recover a bunch of photos that were lost.

I got a new iphone 4 and went on a mini vacation, took a ton of photos. When I got back I synced up the phone to my laptop but apparently the photos did not save... not realizing it, I did a restore from backup, copying my 3gs info over to my iphone4. Thus.. losing all the new photos.

Please.. please.. please if someone has any kind of a solution please help. I cannot bear to think of these memories going to trash
    I'm in the same situation. I'm using Windows Vista, iPhone 4 with 4.2.1 OS.. Is there any way to save these photos?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

For anyone not as computer savvy as all you, pls explain all this. my iphone 3g from hell just crashed 4 the 3rd time. it crashes arbitrarily. i was receiving a text message & phone call at the same time, got the white screen of death & then the familiar pic of the usb to hook up to itunes. i've been thru 3 phones on 3g alone. we're not even gonna talk about the original phone. this time, i lost notepad & pics that i really need 4 work but i dont under stand dd, open ssh & all this other stuff. i have a toshiba qosmio windows xp media edition that runs off a pcmcia card. no home network. what do i need to download 4 this?

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast