Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Edit Predictive Text (T9) on iPhone

Default Edit Predictive Text (T9) on iPhone
    I am on a quest to find a way to edit the iPhones predictive text word bank. I would love to delete some words and add words that I feel I use more regularly then the options it provides. Has anyone come across an app that does this or found the file that houses the words its uses? It seems like something that should be pretty easy to edit... Any help would be great!

Thanks

I agree. The ability to edit the "word bank" will be sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by skizkit View Post
    I am on a quest to find a way to edit the iPhones predictive text word bank. I would love to delete some words and add words that I feel I use more regularly then the options it provides. Has anyone come across an app that does this or found the file that houses the words its uses? It seems like something that should be pretty easy to edit... Any help would be great!

Thanks

How about a t9 dialpad to text? That's my last beef I have with the iphone. Everything else I can live with.

It was so easy texting with one hand, not even looking at the phone with a t9 dialpad, but now i have to use a whole keypad, which I'm getting used to, but not as easy as the dialpad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Idea
    I don't have an iPhone at hand to check but I'd guess that whatever file does contain the "dictionary" would be in the SMS.app package folder? Have you looked through the files in there to see what is available?

Do you know if the iPhone adds words automatically to it? or is the dictionary pre-set? It might all help in finding where exactly it is.

the iphone has a built in dictionary and a dynamic (user changed) database, it follows the built in first then the dynamic (which if ur curious is located at /var/root/Library/Keyboard/dynamic-text.dat)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wesgarner View Post
    the iphone has a built in dictionary and a dynamic (user changed) database, it follows the built in first then the dynamic (which if ur curious is located at /var/root/Library/Keyboard/dynamic-text.dat)
    Excellent, but do you know the location of the built in dictionary that is not normally user changeable. Since that kicks in first it stands that certain words would need to be removed from there to give preference to some of the dynamic ones we create.

/System/Library/KeyboardDictionaries
    pick your choice from there :-)

Thanks

Default Ace
    /System/Library/KeyboardDictionaries
    pick your choice from there :-)
    If only life could always be that simple

haha exactly, does anyone know what kind of database files these are?

here's the program to extract and create those files http://code.google.com/p/iphoneshop/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jandrad View Post
    here's the program to extract and create those files http://code.google.com/p/iphoneshop/
    I have been using this for extracting artworks. Unfortunately it's unable to dump the dictionary files from 1.1.2 so it's of no use at the moment, looks like we're stuck with the standard dictionary on 1.1.2. Unless someone as an alternative method?

Quote Originally Posted by alias_neo View Post
    I have been using this for extracting artworks. Unfortunately it's unable to dump the dictionary files from 1.1.2 so it's of no use at the moment, looks like we're stuck with the standard dictionary on 1.1.2. Unless someone as an alternative method?
    It does support dictionary editing for 1.1.2, it doesn't support artwork editing for 1.1.2. I dumped the english dict, http://r_apidshare.com/files/80707519/english.zip.html (Remove _)

I couldn't attach it, I don't know why!!

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneMadness View Post
    How about a t9 dialpad to text? That's my last beef I have with the iphone. Everything else I can live with.

It was so easy texting with one hand, not even looking at the phone with a t9 dialpad, but now i have to use a whole keypad, which I'm getting used to, but not as easy as the dialpad.
    I've gotta say, I couldn't agree more. This would be really sweet and it would be so fast with the touch screen.

Has anyone tried to do this yet??

Quote Originally Posted by st3v3y View Post
    I've gotta say, I couldn't agree more. This would be really sweet and it would be so fast with the touch screen.

Has anyone tried to do this yet??
    This is something I am also looking for. Number 1 request I would have period. Any ideas if someone is working on something like this. I used to have a w810i and loved T9. Thanks.

Where exactly is this located? I don't quite understand just HOW you get to it. I'm assuming the iphone has gotta be hooked up to your mac?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to change a few words that come up every time I type a certain word, as it's starting to bug the hell out of me.

You could either SSH into the phone (WinSCP for instance, look online for tutorials) or use a file browser on the iPhone itself like iFile (which is well worth the price regardless). Worst case, you could use Mobile Terminal and the "cd" command to change directories, but that could get really cumbersome even with tab-completion (swipe in upper-left direction).

Edit - Nevermind, I was so very very close but so far, lol. Something to do with the IDX files I think too. Recreated the timestamps for the file, just incase that was what was causing it to stop doing ANY spell check apart from names in the phone directory. I suppose if anyone knows how to do this it's going to be someone who has a higher knowledge of the iPhone OS than I do, lol.

So I was getting insanely annoyed with continuously having to correct the whole "LOL", "WTF" and "ATM" suggestions that the iPhone made. Thanks to one of the posters here I was able to snoop about and figure out that a file for the acronyms is stored here :

/System/Library/TextInput/TextInput_en.bundle

(if you're using english)

Depending on which keyboard layout you're using you'll want to open the file (through SSH), in GB case : Unigrams-en_GB.dat (with notepad) replace the acronyms with the small case letters and save.

The changes should be instant.

Hope this helps people in a similar situation as me!

Although I should point out that for some reason this seems to change the whole file and means that all the non-name corrections to stop working. Now all I need to do is figure out HOW to stop that happening and I'm set!
    Last edited by TheDoctor87; 01-24-2010 at 06:00 AM.

im impressed you got this far bro, ive not seen any1 do this asof yet
    but goodluck

Like A Boss

Not to resurrect an old thread, but this still hasn't been done and I'd love to do it as my first foray into iPhone (jailbroken) programming. I'm still a complete objective C noob, as it's very different than every other language I know, so if anyone wants to help or could do it quicker, be my guest. I just want to see it done.

The project you mentioned (albeit old) looks like they at least tried to figure out the iPhone's binary dictionary format used in the TextInput bundles. Here is some information on how the files are encoded:

DictionaryFormat - iphoneshop - iPhone keyboard dictionary file binary formats - Project Hosting on Google Code

That was as of 1.1.2, so it may have changed significantly by now. My guess is if we could crack this code, creating an app to edit the dictionary would be fairly simple.

To get started, check out the System/Library/TextInput/TextInput_en.bundle/Unigrams-en_US.dat and .idx files. My first objective is going to be changing the autocorrect for LOL to lol.

One thing I noticed immediately is that the header section of one of the files supposedly lists the number of words in the file. If the user above edited it (and added a word or something), that might be why errors were occurring. I'll try some things myself. If you edit this, be sure to back up your whole TextInput folder first, as you will probably break things.
    Last edited by reanimationxp; 05-10-2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

There already is an app for editing the dictionary - it's called Inspell. It's quite useful, but I wanted to work out how to edit and delete words that take priority over words I'd prefer to use. I'm not too good with SSHing into my phone, as I don't understand what all the files do etc. I would love any help on this, to properly begin to be able to custom the look of my phone and do some interesting things. Any pointers in the right direction would be pretty useful

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast