+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade to 16gig iphone, using touch parts

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
1. Has anyone tried this or out any serious thought into it? Is there any major reason Im missing why it wouldn't work that screams "forget it, its impossible so
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Upgrade to 16gig iphone, using touch parts
    1. Has anyone tried this or out any serious thought into it? Is there any major reason Im missing why it wouldn't work that screams "forget it, its impossible so don't even try" thats deterring anyone from exploring this idea or would it take some guts, 16gig touch, an iphone, and some old fashioned ingenuity?

Heres a link to a disassembly of the iphones components including closeups of the flash memory

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3026

2. And in the same tone, how about a media player that plays multiple codecs, if we can make all these apps how about a port of TCMP from palm os to the iSeries and play some video on our terms... I know that codecs and multiplle formats are memory hogs, but come on, if w can port GBA as well as it has come out, why not an expanded codec collection or standalone diversified media player? Perhaps a Real (like real audio) or a WMplayer port, or even better, like when the early days of osx so badly needed VLC. I realize its hard for companies like Real and VLC to licence a program for a closed source product but in theory couldnt someone write one or adapt an alrady existing one..

Sorry to put both questions in one post but if anyone has a thought on either please post it up..
    Last edited by zemper; 12-11-2007 at 07:51 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i thought about using an itouch hd but i have no idea how to do that

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Amosrock For This Useful Post:

jxdrl (01-26-2008)

Thanks

1. If you want to desolder the 100s of tiny connections holding in your flash chip, go ahead. You will then have to resolder a new one back in place while somehow managing not to screw anything up. Unless you are HIGHLY experienced, I would recommend against it. This question has been asked many times, but never attempted AFAIK.

2. Yes, in theory I dont see why it couldnt be done. It just hasnt yet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Do you see how small those soldering points are?? It was a robot that soldered them in there in the first place. So it would be cool, but a more sane way to add more memory would be to some how fashion an external card reader to the phone. Not as pretty as using internal memory but just as useful. I think I saw a post here or over at HF about an external card reader, but I can't remember where.
    2.2 pwned!!

Thanks

1. No reason it wouldn't work, if you have the time, patience and a surgeons hands.

2. Remember that the iPhone only plays videos that iTunes plays, and that's Quicktime. Don't count on Apple allowing other codecs, because a) iTunes won't to sync them to the iPhone and b) Apple won't support anything that requires a jailbroken phone. Your phone would have to be jailbroken to manually move the WMP, etc videos to it.

If anyone comes up with other codecs, its going to be this community, without Apple's help.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

I don't have the balls to attempt this. Just to let you know.

Reako

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Damn if I could get my hands on a bunch of the 16gb chips I could rake it in. I couldn't do it... but my wife actually used to do this kind of stuff for hp and then a medical component manufacurer. She did all kinds of soldering under a microscope.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    1. No reason it wouldn't work, if you have the time, patience and a surgeons hands.
    Absolutely correct. And it's already been done at least once; guy on eBay was selling a 16gb iPhone, with the memory from the iPod touch. Said he had it "professionally done". Back in the day, there were places that would increase the RAM on the Xbox using the same type of process.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    2. Remember that the iPhone only plays videos that iTunes plays, and that's Quicktime. Don't count on Apple allowing other codecs, because a) iTunes won't to sync them to the iPhone and b) Apple won't support anything that requires a jailbroken phone. Your phone would have to be jailbroken to manually move the WMP, etc videos to it.

If anyone comes up with other codecs, its going to be this community, without Apple's help.
    I use Red Kawa's Videora iPhone Converter (latest version is 3.06), which is free and converts to the iPhone just fine. Not the fastest, but hey, it works. I've converted XviD, DivX, and others, and am happy with the program.

I don't see multiple codec support, IMHO. Not even from the modding community, since AFAIK it would require a core change to how the iPhone (or the iPod Touch) processes videos. I guess it's possible, but I doubt anyone is going to tackle it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    you mentioned fashioning a memory reader, that would be incredible... ANyone have anymore info on that?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I remember about a month ago someone on ebay was selling a 16gb iphone that he modded. But i think the guy wanted like 3200 or something for it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reako View Post
    I don't have the balls to attempt this. Just to let you know.

Reako
    Me too!!! -- grrrr i bearly listen to the 2 gig music i have right now!

Thanks
    man 8 gbs is just not enough, i think apple should of put in a external memory card slot or something like that
    T-mobile Unlocked 1.1.4!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    wow....16GB..

If someone can afford to spare me a iphone and 16GB NAND, I don't mind trying soldering the tiny pins as a experiment

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

did you guys ever think about the software in the touch is completly different from the software in the iPhone. swapping the HD's and such would turn your sweet little iPhone into an touch and vice versa. you would need to extract and install the software that makes the iPhone an iPhone onto the touches HD.....no?

am i wrong?