Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Poor Man's GPS

Default Poor Man's GPS
    Feel free to move this thread if its not in the correct place.

How hard would it be to a have Maps use the iP's built in locater that 911 (and the NSA) uses? It wouldn't be super precise, but would be more than good enough as a starting point. What about via a website that pulls up a Google Maps link?

Just a thunk.

Quote Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
    Feel free to move this thread if its not in the correct place.

How hard would it be to a have Maps use the iP's built in locater that 911 (and the NSA) uses? It wouldn't be super precise, but would be more than good enough as a starting point. What about via a website that pulls up a Google Maps link?

Just a thunk.
    id go out on a limb and say, very... at this point i dont think anything is impossible in time, but... never know.

also thread moved to file mods/iphone based programs
    ARTHURSDOMAIN
    ModMyI.com Apps Reviewer

Retired ModMyi.com Moderator

Follow me on twitter: twitter.com/laynem

Reviewed Apps:
    Oregon Trail, Who Has The Biggest Brain, Lock Puzzle, Tweetie

Want an app reviewed? PM me with the app name

Default i dunno
    i logged onto my website using AT&T's edge and it states that im a visitor from some other state other than where i am right now. However when i was using the wifi with my local cable internet provider, and visited teh website from my iphone then it was very accurate.

So in reality i doubt this would be a very handy feature if you want to rely on AT&T's edge.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exoram View Post
    i logged onto my website using AT&T's edge and it states that im a visitor from some other state other than where i am right now. However when i was using the wifi with my local cable internet provider, and visited teh website from my iphone then it was very accurate.

So in reality i doubt this would be a very handy feature if you want to rely on AT&T's edge.
    so your saying that knowing were u are via using the maps feature would not be a good idea? your smoking crack man. this would be awesome. it would help with active tracking while using the map feature to find something.

im smoking crack?....no the idea is great...knowing where u are based on your ip address is awesome and probably a good idea if your phone is using wifi.....but if your using wifi...im guessing you already know where u are, however if you are using AT&T's edge then your ip doesnt mean anything. I live in jersey but when i use edge, my ip address is based somewhere in maryland. So this poormans gps would tell me im in maryland when im actually in jersey.

How would that even be convenient? Honestly it doesnt make sense to me, but Alperovich if that helps you out in any way...by all means good for you.
    Last edited by exoram; 08-17-2007 at 09:43 AM.

It's not technically a built-in locator that's in a phone. 911 operators and the like have the ability to triangulate.

Any phone that has built in GPS that can utilize it has a seperate GPS chip built in.

On the other hand, if a third party navigator application can be written for iPhone, you could use an external Bluetooth GPS Receiver.
    [r a y n e]

Livin the iPhone Life iphonejeff's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exoram View Post
    but if your using wifi...im guessing you already know where u are.
    DUH!!lmao!!!
    mod edit, old signature removed

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    It's not technically a built-in locator that's in a phone. 911 operators and the like have the ability to triangulate.

Any phone that has built in GPS that can utilize it has a seperate GPS chip built in.

On the other hand, if a third party navigator application can be written for iPhone, you could use an external Bluetooth GPS Receiver.
    Actually, even phones without GPS have to be aware of their own position. Federal law required like three or four years ago that all new cell phones support position reporting for 911. The phone must be able to supply it's location within like a 50 foot radius.

Quote Originally Posted by Sintex View Post
    Actually, even phones without GPS have to be aware of their own position. Federal law required like three or four years ago that all new cell phones support position reporting for 911. The phone must be able to supply it's location within like a 50 foot radius.
    Which is triangulation.
    [r a y n e]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sintex View Post
    This was actually in operation even 13 yrs ago when I was a level 3 site tech for at&t. The idea of the poormans gps is sweet but you're focusing on the wrong address. As said before your ip or edge address could (and will) locate your nearest ip center which could be miles away & will change depending on traffic amount. The way cell phone tracking works is through your esn (electronic serial number). THAT'S what we need to tap into to make this work. The only problem is that this information portion is located in a area that's untouchable for now. If this was released it would make a lot of people happy. I hate the google maps when ever i actually need it it load so slow.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I believe that an program very similar to Navizon would be pretty sweet with the iPhone. It was designed for windows mobile devices, but it acts as an software based GPS reciever for people who have no reciever and it bases its positioning off of cellphone towers and wifi access points. Then if we could implement that into Google Maps would be even sweeter. If it was possible to port this appilcation over to iPhone would be flawless.

http://www.navizon.com

Green Apple
    Thanks

Geohot had something like this as his next project, and he said that he gave up when he found out it would need extensive modifications to the firmware

Source: http://opengsm.blogspot.com/

He was going to do it via triangulation on the cell towers which is more complex than this idea, so i'm guessing it would at the very least be -very hard-

This is a lot like how Loran works. Assuming that the cell tower locations are all known, then an application could use the relative signal strenghts of the various towers that are 'seen' by the phone, and triangulate an approximate location. Take a look at the Cell Information in Field Test. At the moment, I have information about 7 cell towers. If we knew exactly where they were, it could be possible to figure out where exactly I am, assuming I didn't know already.

- Jason

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

hmm this would be an awesome addition...

why not just bluetooth to an external gps device?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markland556 View Post
    i'd rather not carry anything xtra around.

iPhone? More like MyPhone xfsasx's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markland556 View Post
    Thats what i was thinking

actually, i'd rather use real gps via bluetooth than rely on poorly triangulated positions, anyone whose ever driven in Europe will know how bad GPS cab be when it comes to your position on roundabouts or in ye olde vilages, also, google maps isnt great at point to point navigation, consider having to re-calculate a journey on route, on the fly based on google maps, I'd much rather use teleatlas maps on TomTom or equivilent

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    actually, i'd rather use real gps via bluetooth than rely on poorly triangulated positions, anyone whose ever driven in Europe will know how bad GPS cab be when it comes to your position on roundabouts or in ye olde vilages, also, google maps isnt great at point to point navigation, consider having to re-calculate a journey on route, on the fly based on google maps, I'd much rather use teleatlas maps on TomTom or equivilent
    its still a step down unless its all built in. idea here is internal operation with nothing additional. no one is saying that a external devices shouldn't also work but something internal, so that atleast when i open map, i can easily search for something around me.

basally just something else so that we don't have to relay on something external or xtra but still have the option of having the external device also.

u need to call CTU and ask them to track u constantly.

In order to triangulate, u need to have made phone calls using other cell towers. Then they need something to keep track of which tower u used recently.

So, u will need access to their network servers, "No".
    911 can do it because they r the POPO,
    they can request these types of information under emergency situations or with a court order.

wait for that GPS transponder ... much more likely to happen than the former.
    Best Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast