Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Poor Man's GPS

Quote Originally Posted by Alperovich View Post
    i'd rather not carry anything xtra around.
    Have you seen the some of some of these ? About the size of the average car key so no real hardship to carry one.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by santfekuss View Post
    Have you seen the some of some of these ? About the size of the average car key so no real hardship to carry one.
    yes i have seen them. Its still something xtra. i'm not saying it shouldn't be done. but the idea is of a built in feature of maps that can pinpoint your location.

Which is going to be a pain, as stated above - while software using an external GPS receiver...which could just be left in the car...would not be.
    [r a y n e]

It feels like both of these options have usefulness - much in the way Wifi & EDGE bounce back & forth. The built-in software based GPS would benefit greatly from being plugged into a real unit from time to time. In speaking with a tech at Navizon, it seems that their system is based on users mapping areas first. You can do this with a real GPS enabled phone & their software or alternatively with a laptop & bluetooth GPS unit. The software tracks as you move around and submits nodes...etc. for their software based GPS to use. The iPhone won't connect to a bluetooth GPS yet. According to the Navizon tech, Apple didn't add the Serial port driver in the Bluetooth stack.

Anyone know enough about Bluetooth stacks to hack this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hartsteins View Post
    It feels like both of these options have usefulness - much in the way Wifi & EDGE bounce back & forth. The built-in software based GPS would benefit greatly from being plugged into a real unit from time to time. In speaking with a tech at Navizon, it seems that their system is based on users mapping areas first. You can do this with a real GPS enabled phone & their software or alternatively with a laptop & bluetooth GPS unit. The software tracks as you move around and submits nodes...etc. for their software based GPS to use. The iPhone won't connect to a bluetooth GPS yet. According to the Navizon tech, Apple didn't add the Serial port driver in the Bluetooth stack.

Anyone know enough about Bluetooth stacks to hack this?

Thanks
    yeah I read that on their site, thought it was funny that you have to use a real GPS to map your zone....in order to use the fake GPS.......

SOMEONE needs to map your area with a GPS, not you

I dunno why no one has really even bothered to mention that this Software if available via the Installer through the iphone. I saw it and read some information on it and yes, this thing really does work pretty damn well, with the exception of the areas that people with GPS devices have not mapped in their system. They must be mapped by a individual GPS enabled device that is logged into their Navizon account locating themselves, I personally would love to get one of these so I can map out my entire area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12