+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: UK phone number formats

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Yesterday I discovered the M68AP.plist and added international support. However, I could not get my custom number masks to work using the United Kingdom as a locale. Bizarrely, if I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default UK phone number formats
    Yesterday I discovered the M68AP.plist and added international support. However, I could not get my custom number masks to work using the United Kingdom as a locale.

Bizarrely, if I edit the UIPhoneFormats.plist file and add a 'GB' key with the number format masks I can get it to work.

This also seems to be a problem with 1.1.2 (playing with one in an o2 store seems to show now number mask at all).

I've now got a fabulous UK formatted iPhone - with dates in their proper order! But it seems remarkable that Apple switched from using 'UK' in their plists to using 'GB' for this one item and totally failed to pick up on their error - I've not seen this documented anywhere else (which makes me think it's my error somehow) but in case anyone else is trying to get the international phone formats to work this may be the solution.

(For information my masks are:

<key>gb</key>
    <array>
    <string>01### ######</string>
    <string>01#1 ### ####</string>
    <string>011# ### ####</string>
    <string>02# #### ####</string>
    <string>03# #### ####</string>
    <string>05# #### ####</string>
    <string>07### ######</string>
    <string>08## ### ####</string>
    <string>118 ###</string>
    <string>141 $</string>
    <string>+44 1### ######</string>
    <string>+44 1#1 ### ####</string>
    <string>+44 11# ### ####</string>
    <string>+44 2# #### ####</string>
    <string>+44 3# #### ####</string>
    <string>+44 5# #### ####</string>
    <string>+44 7### ######</string>
    <string>+44 8## ### ####</string>
    </array>)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rigsby For This Useful Post:

Stevonw (11-11-2007)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks alot mate!

im in the UK wirth a US iPhone and was hoping for this

EDIT : Where is this new file located?
    Last edited by Stevonw; 11-11-2007 at 07:23 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You need to edit two files - both seem to be well-known and tested edits.

First, you need edit M69AP.plist and change the value for international from false to true. Once done (I think it requires a reboot of the phone) you have a new category under your settings menu - 'International'. Selected United Kingdom and this will fix the dates, so it uses day-month format.
    The file is found in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app
    You can find a better guide here: http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10824

Second, you need to edit UIPhoneFormats.plist. If you are using 1.1.1 this is found in /System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework/PhoneFormats. A more detailed guide can be found at http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3802 (although this was originally written for 1.0.2 so has a different directory). This is the file that needs the new 'GB' formats adding.

In both cases you'll need to convert the file from binary. I've read that you don't need to convert them back before you put them back on the phone, but I did to be on the safe side.

I have to say I still find it hard to believe that Apple did this rather than consistently using either UK or GB for the international settings, so I'd be interested to hear if it works for you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default one step back...
    Hi there -

Thanks for solving the crazy issue with the number formatting... it's driving me crazy! Just a quick question... how do you get access to the plist files on your phone? I just bought my phone unlocked from the US and am a bit computer illiterate... found all these patches that are supposed to do the trick, but can't quite find a way to access the files on my iphone...

Is there some kind of software that I need to download first (for PC)?

Help someone!

Thanks a lot...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I use a Mac, so I can't speak with any authority on PC applications.

The very short guide is that you need to jailbreak your phone and then use an application that can connect via ssh ftp to the phone to retrieve, amend and then replace the relevant files.

The longer guide depends on what version of iPhone firmware you are using and, I suppose, how the original unlocker unlocked and left your phone. If the firmware is 1.1.1 you could try visiting jailbreakme.com which, apparently, automates a lot of the process (I have not used this, so cannot speak for it). Then connecting to your phone using some ftp software, WinSCP seems to the name mentioned on here, to connect to the phone. I'm happy to try and help, but my experience on this is limited to Macs.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Number formats and first day of the week
    I guess things have changed with 1.1.2?

Selecting Region Format Australia seems to make no difference to phone number formats, but the US and Canada formats do. But if I choose the UK format, Monday becomes the first day of the week.

I made the edits above to the US part of the UIPhoneFormats.plist (and chose US as my region) and my numbers look perfect, but if I make the same edits to the UK section (and chose UK as my region), nothing.

So, the question is, if international settings are now activated, where can I edit ALL of them - phone formats, first day of week, etc?