Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Firmware reveals hidden Applications & Widgets

Default iPhone Firmware reveals hidden Applications & Widgets
    iPhone Firmware reveals hidden Applications & Widgets

Folks at iPhoneology have been doing some digging into iPhone's firmware and guess what? they have stumbled onto some very interesting stuff. One of the system preference files has revealed possibilities of hidden iPhone applications & widgets waiting to be unlocked by a firmware upgrade.

While browsing through iPhone's firmware, they came across one of system preferences file called “Default ApplicationState .plist” which revealed not only some expected names like "Weather", "Phonebook" and "MobileiPod", but as you can see in the screenshot below, it also revealed some interesting names like "Unit Converter", "Transalation" & "Radio"; applications and widgets which are not currently available on the iPhone in any shape or form.

While the "Unit converter" seems to be a conversion application & "Translation" seems to be a translation widget (just guessing), the application that has got me excited of the three is the "Radio". We all know that the iPod has not had a radio for years and the radio functionality was only introduced recently with the iPod Radio remote accessory so the chances that Apple will introduce this capability in the iPhone are slim.

However after seeing the screenshot; we cannot rule out the possibility that Apple could be looking to introduce streaming mobile radio on the iPhone in the near future. Also the fact that these names have already made it to the iPhone's firmware indicates that each of these iPhone applications or widgets should get unlocked with a firmware update.

The screenshots look quite genuine and iPhonelogy guys have also confirmed that the icons on the first image above are not the actual icons but are ones captured from Mac OS X Tiger widgets (the only part that was doubtful).

You might call it wishful thinking, but earlier we were only wishing for Apple to unlock the iPhone to help us do some customizations currently only possible with iPhone hacks like custom ringtones or custom backgrounds, with today's revelation we are also hoping for new iPhone applications to be unlocked as well with the FIRST firmware upgrade.

Thanks iPhoneology!

[Images and source courtesy iPhoneology]

i would like to say that one of our members had actually come up with this a week ago or so.
    ARTHURSDOMAIN
    ModMyI.com Apps Reviewer

Retired ModMyi.com Moderator

Follow me on twitter: twitter.com/laynem

Reviewed Apps:
    Oregon Trail, Who Has The Biggest Brain, Lock Puzzle, Tweetie

Want an app reviewed? PM me with the app name

iPhone? More like MyPhone Shimizu1006's Avatar
    Thanks

yah. that was me: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146

and we came to the conclution that "radio" is most likely the fieldtest app.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Yup. I emailed Gizmodo (original runner of the story today) a week ago when you found that, shimizu. Apparently they liked running it from those other guys instead.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Meanies. Get the more known people =/ lol

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

meh

Thanks

im glad gizmodo gave me some credit. Lets go check how many other sites this is posted on w. other peoples names...

EDIT__it says tyler from iphoneology..
    guess thats how the cookie crumbles
    Last edited by Shimizu1006; 07-30-2007 at 09:00 PM.

i actually found that a while ago and tried to set it up to a button as i did with address book and neither worked.. no big deal. its no real "discovery".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drunknbass View Post
    i actually found that a while ago and tried to set it up to a button as i did with address book and neither worked.. no big deal. its no real "discovery".
    Well then I still get credit because I was the first one to post it so I actually have proof that I found it. And if its "no real discovery" then how come its all over those other apple sites?

(sorry if that sounded rude; I tend to get really defensive)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Just shoot them an email, they're pretty good about changing stuff.

Thanks

thanks. will do so.

they forgot to throw ichat in there

lol. I did not catch that. Did they not say they were adding IChat or is that a rumor?

pretty much everythings a rumor at this point..
    apple hasnt officially said anything.

i dont think its a real discovery because it doesnt do anything, and anyone looking at any of the plist files would find it. and thats pretty much the 1st thing youd look at when you want to do anything different to your phone. and the whole thing about discovering "widgets" id think the widget icon found in the iphone would be enough of a giveaway.

Thanks

i was kind of hoping radio might enable the phone to send out radio waves as supposed to receiving the radio. it would be cool to play a song and turn on radio to work as an ipod fm transmitter.