+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [HOW-TO] Get around the application space limit your iPhone

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Instructions Executing the commands below will remove your application space limitation so that you're only limited by the device's drive. Your apps will share the same space available to your
    Thanks

Post [HOW-TO] Get around the application space limit your iPhone
    Instructions

Executing the commands below will remove your application space limitation so that you're only limited by the device's drive. Your apps will share the same space available to your media files. The approach is to create a symbolic link to the Application folder and move the actual folder to the media partition.

NOTE: This guide assumes you have jailbreaked your iPhone and installed the necessary Unix binaries, either manually or by using some sort of semi-automated/automated jailbreak method.

WARNING: Although this seems to work just as intended, it's not been tested for more than a number of hours, meaning that it's entirely possible it could somehow break in the future. Therefore, only do this at your own risk!
    1. SSH into your iPhone using the SSH client of your choice; I recommend putty, which you can download here.
    2. Move your applications folder to the /private/var folder by typing the following:

Code:
      mv /Applications /private/var/Applications
    3. Change directory to / by typing

Code:
      cd /
    4. Create a symbolic link to the Applications folder's new location:

Code:
      ln -s /private/var/Applications Applications
    5. Type the following to get a directory list of /, so we can make sure the symbolic link was created correctly:

Code:
      ls -la
      In the list that comes up, you should have an entry similar to this one:

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 25 Oct 12 22:31 Applications -> /private/var/Applications
    6. Alright, seems like it worked.. Now all you have to do is reboot your iPhone! Do that now.
    7. To further make sure it's working correctly for you, enter the Installer app and check the available space at the bottom. It should be higher than it was previously, as you've moved away all space-intensive apps. Try installing an app larger than 1MB (MobileChat for example) to see that the amount of available space stays the same.
    8. Done! Install away!

Troubleshoot:
    • When creating a symbolic link on the iPhone for the Applications, if you use mv to move the apps to /private/var/Applications and then reboot the phone, applications will not start.

To fix this, just
      Code:
      cp -r /Applications /private/var/Applications
      and then
      Code:
      rm -fr /Applications
      Then create the symbolic link as usual.
    • You'll have to remove the NOEXEC flag from /etc/fstab to be able to launch applications after this manipulation.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ReVan For This Useful Post:

Grimace (10-31-2007), JMIGUELES (11-07-2007), rotaryheadrx7 (11-11-2007), soulpilot (10-30-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

REVAN could you be more specific regarding the Troubleshooting and why is it necessary? how can it be avoided? what do you mean by:
    You'll have to remove the NOEXEC flag from /etc/fstab to be able to launch applications after this manipulation.

Thanks@

Banned
    Thanks
    Did anyone else successfully do this? Are there any problem? Does it work with 1.1.1? Can it be reversed back?

Developer
    Thanks

so what's the verdict? this method is safe?

i'm really running out of space... even deleted most of the custom ringtones...
    any idea what other stuff i can remove?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I did it, it seem to work since installer doesnt say running out of space anymore but whenever I watch a movie, it just quit a few minute into it. It never happen before until I did this hack, can someone confirm?

Developer
    Thanks

i did not remove the NOEXEC flag
    but i mv my applications to ~/Applications
    it works

Green Apple
    Thanks

Worked for me flawlessly!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peeInMyPantz View Post
    i did not remove the NOEXEC flag
    but i mv my applications to ~/Applications
    it works

Hai Bro can you upload screenshot how to use method about this ?

Thx.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi, i did everything stated but now my camera just shoes a blank screen where i cant click on the "take photo" button!

The camera roll still works though,

Help?

Thanks

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Excellent guide... Worked flawlessly so far.. Thanks!
    - iPhone 8gig and 16gig 3G - 3.0 - JailBroken + Unlocked to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan & Total Internet Plan.
    - iPod Touch - UnJailBroken
    - XBOX 360 - Modded Firmware - XBL (my s/n)
    - XBOX - Software Modded - XBMC
    - Dell Inspiron 1521 - [B]Vista Ultimate and
    running Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.5.4 (YES! Mac OS on an Dell PC)

Green Apple
    Thanks

@ReVan : Thx alot Bro your guide method is 100% Working Perfect on my iPhone with FW 1.1.1........It's Coolzzz........

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I tried to do this several times and came up with this:

mv: /bin/: Permission denied
    mv: /bin/: terminated with 1 (non-zero) status: Cross-device link

Any idea what that means?

If it helps I usually go into the phone to add/delete things manually through the Finder...

Thanks

ReVAN...am i able to do this on 1.0.2...ive upgraded but decided to stay with 1.0.2....thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone RC_OZ's Avatar
    Thanks

instead of move. try copy then remove. I use a similar but differrent guide and it worked for me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It will work on 1.0.2, 1.1.1 and 1.1.2!

I did not follow the exact steps but basically it is a symlink from /Applications folder to /private/var/Applications

So far everything is working fine!

Thanks for this "HOW-TO"!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i tried to use this guide..i followed it step by step..i got the applications -> /applications thing u needed..i rebooted my iphone and now my dock is empty... and like the phone/ipod/safari.. everytihng is gone..its just a black screen with a silver rectangle at the bottom

im running a iphone with 1.12 firmware..i tried to SSH back in but it said "connection refused"..does anyone know how i can fix this?
    i dont want to restore it because if i do ill have to do the WHOLE jailbreak/unlock thing again

thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just tried tried this through terminal on the iphone and it seems like it has worked so id like to say thinx for the info, also just wanted to ask once the applications folder is moved to private/var/applications should the origial application still be shown on the main directory.

thanx....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ReVan View Post
    Instructions

Executing the commands below will remove your application space limitation so that you're only limited by the device's drive. Your apps will share the same space available to your media files. The approach is to create a symbolic link to the Application folder and move the actual folder to the media partition.

NOTE: This guide assumes you have jailbreaked your iPhone and installed the necessary Unix binaries, either manually or by using some sort of semi-automated/automated jailbreak method.

WARNING: Although this seems to work just as intended, it's not been tested for more than a number of hours, meaning that it's entirely possible it could somehow break in the future. Therefore, only do this at your own risk!
    1. SSH into your iPhone using the SSH client of your choice; I recommend putty, which you can download here.
    2. Move your applications folder to the /private/var folder by typing the following:

Code:
      mv /Applications /private/var/Applications
    3. Change directory to / by typing

Code:
      cd /
    4. Create a symbolic link to the Applications folder's new location:

Code:
      ln -s /private/var/Applications Applications
    5. Type the following to get a directory list of /, so we can make sure the symbolic link was created correctly:

Code:
      ls -la
      In the list that comes up, you should have an entry similar to this one:

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 25 Oct 12 22:31 Applications -> /private/var/Applications
    6. Alright, seems like it worked.. Now all you have to do is reboot your iPhone! Do that now.
    7. To further make sure it's working correctly for you, enter the Installer app and check the available space at the bottom. It should be higher than it was previously, as you've moved away all space-intensive apps. Try installing an app larger than 1MB (MobileChat for example) to see that the amount of available space stays the same.
    8. Done! Install away!

Troubleshoot:
    • When creating a symbolic link on the iPhone for the Applications, if you use mv to move the apps to /private/var/Applications and then reboot the phone, applications will not start.

To fix this, just
      Code:
      cp -r /Applications /private/var/Applications
      and then
      Code:
      rm -fr /Applications
      Then create the symbolic link as usual.
    • You'll have to remove the NOEXEC flag from /etc/fstab to be able to launch applications after this manipulation.
    Dear Revan,

I am interested with your instruction. I see it similar to Bosstool sofware that I found it in installer. Could you please suggest me what is better for Iphone? your manual way or automatic way by installer (bosstool)? Cz I see some complaining from others regarding this issue.

Kvyanh.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peeInMyPantz View Post
    so what's the verdict? this method is safe?

i'm really running out of space... even deleted most of the custom ringtones...
    any idea what other stuff i can remove?
    delete all the other language supposrts you don't use! they're everywhere. And that acknowledgement.html ("Legal" in Generel-About-Legal), edit it. or just simply leave the Apple Icon, and delete the Acknowledgment-iPod.html it should save you lotsa space.