Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Call has highest Priority

Default Call has highest Priority
    I wish there was a way so that when you are using edge for safari, if a call cam in it would top the data transfer and take the call instead of sending it straight to voicemail. will that ever be possible?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

no as with all phones that use edge calls can not come in while edge is running.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    no as with all phones that use edge calls can not come in while edge is running.
    Not neccesairly....As my T-Mobile MDA will accept calls while on EDGE network, and disables edge, once call has ended, EDGE kicks back in automatically. Only way it was done with a few registry hacks, and also it depends on the radio version implemented within the phone itself. Radio 2.19 and 2.69 were the only two that allowed it, others would go to voicemail. xda-developers.com for more info.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

interesting. I'll have to check that out. do you know of any phone that does that stock?

I have never had an EDGE phone capable of disabling the data network for a call. Would be pretty cool though.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    interesting. I'll have to check that out. do you know of any phone that does that stock?
    Not sure, as to with my T-Mobile MDA and all the various phone made by HTC all required this same radio version in order to this. Not sure of any that does it by stock.

I think it's area based.. cause atleast in my area, calls come in while i'm using EDGE.. never fails on me. But don't quote me on this.. I have a hard time believe people when they tell me if edge is active, a call won't come in.

Look at the SK3, it's always on EDGE and calls come in.

Are you sure your data connection is active?

As I understand it, with most EDGE phones, they will not maintain an EDGE connection unless it's necessary. So you can be browsing the web, and unless you are in the process of dowloading or uploading information, the call will go through.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

On windows mobile devices there's a registry tweak to where you can keep your data connection always on, as I used that for IM clients and mapping cell towers for Navizon and I can assure you I still recieve calls on my phone. Edge disconnects and as soon as call is over, it re-establishes. So maybe its device based.

Post Edge Classes
    I think it's area based.. cause atleast in my area, calls come in while i'm using EDGE.. never fails on me. But don't quote me on this.. I have a hard time believe people when they tell me if edge is active, a call won't come in.
    These articles have the best simple explanations of the info I've seen:
    http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/07/2...while-on-edge/
    http://applephoneshow.com/index.php/archives/604

The real dope is available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPRS
    and various patent sites.

Essentially a Class A or B Device on a NOM1 Network Segment should be able to get calls while data is in progress (data will stop while voice is in progress). A Class A (Pseudo device using Dual Transfer Mode) should be able to do both voice and data at the same time w/o 2 radios.

Note: From what I've read, most every AT&T tower people are encountering are NOM2 (somehow that's no real surprise).

... That felt way to much like going back to school... I'm going to get some ice cream.