Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Icon text

Default Icon text
    Under 1.0.2 I changed up the .plist I believe to remove the text under "phone, mail, etc." but leave the text under the upper icons.

Under 1.1.1 how do I go about this? is it controlled under m68ap.plist now? Do I just remove "displayIdentifier" from "key" under the apps I don't want to have text?

TIA

umm.. Do you have summerboard? If so.. I think there is a hide dock labels or something.
    Proud MMi Retired Moderator.

in summerboard you can take away the labels
    MyPhone is better than yours

I like to do it manually as I don't really want summerboard.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by citizentony View Post
    I like to do it manually as I don't really want summerboard.
    Easiest manual method is to simply rename the apps using only spaces: " .app", " .app" and so forth. Worked fine for me. To put more than one space, you can use Shift-Space (which uses a different ascii character assignment)

Under 1.0.2 I changed up the .plist I believe to remove the text under "phone, mail, etc." but leave the text under the upper icons.

Under 1.1.1 how do I go about this? is it controlled under m68ap.plist now? Do I just remove "displayIdentifier" from "key" under the apps I don't want to have text?

TIA
    It used to be LocalizedApplicationNames.strings but it could be the m68ap.plist that you are talking about, but either way all you need to do is delete the words from it. Delete the phone, text, etc and leave everything else alone.

I'm stuck trying to figure this out myself, except that I want to mask the app. names instead of getting rid of them.

Still no luck, plus I want a way to do it manually as well. I don't really want to have summerboard installed.

I was playing around last night and found that if I delete "displayIdentifier" from the "key" field in m68ap.plist the entire icon and it's text goes away. Leaving you with a blank spot and no access to that function.

I was playing around last night and found that if I delete "displayIdentifier" from the "key" field in m68ap.plist the entire icon and it's text goes away. Leaving you with a blank spot and no access to that function.
    Ok, I made the jump to 1.1.1. now. The m68ap.plist is the new dislpayorder.plist. You don't want to delete anything from that because it will remove the app itself from the springboard as you've experienced. You want to edit the LocalizedApplicationNames.strings which can be found under /system/library/coreservices/springboard/english

Take that and remove the names.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasper44 For This Useful Post:

citizentony (10-25-2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper44 View Post
    Ok, I made the jump to 1.1.1. now. The m68ap.plist is the new dislpayorder.plist. You don't want to delete anything from that because it will remove the app itself from the springboard as you've experienced. You want to edit the LocalizedApplicationNames.strings which can be found under /system/library/coreservices/springboard/english

Quick question, how do I make that .strings file usable? When I pull it from the phone it's just garbage from what I can tell.

Thanks

That works on the built-in programs, but what about the third party ones?

Quick question, how do I make that .strings file usable? When I pull it from the phone it's just garbage from what I can tell.
    Change the extension from .strings to .plist to open it. Change it back to .strings before you put it back on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    That works on the built-in programs, but what about the third party ones?
    You have to add the third-party programs to it, which depending on the number or apps you have, can take a while. That's why I love that summerboard does it automatically. To get the strings for the third party apps to add to it look in each third party apps folder for the info.plist.
    Last edited by Jasper44; 10-25-2007 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Change the extension from .strings to .plist to open it. Change it back to .strings before you put it back on your phone.
    I gave that a try but the file is still the same inside. I'm on XP using notepad. I tried searching for the text "phone" and removing that, but it made everything on the screen come up as it's .app name. ie. MobileCal, etc.

Can someone upload a stock converted file? There is one in the Downloads section for 1.0.2, but not 1.1.1.

tia

I gave that a try but the file is still the same inside. I'm on XP using notepad. I tried searching for the text "phone" and removing that, but it made everything on the screen come up as it's .app name. ie. MobileCal, etc.

Can someone upload a stock converted file? There is one in the Downloads section for 1.0.2, but not 1.1.1.

tia
    Convert the sucker with this

http://seto.gni.ch/xmlconvert/