+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problem with MergeList! Please help!!

is a discussion within the

Cydia Support

forums, a part of the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

section;
Hi everyone! This happened to me two days ago, i've been reading about the problem and what to do but still nothing this it is what appear to me every
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation Problem with MergeList! Please help!!
    Hi everyone! This happened to me two days ago, i've been reading about the problem and what to do but still nothing

this it is what appear to me every time i try to open cydia:

Wow, you excceded the number of package names this APT is capable of.

Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/list/cydia.winterboarder.com_._Packages

The packagelist or status file could not be parsed or opened

all cydia packages i've installed disappeared. I don't know what to do i read on a few sites to go to /private/etc/apt/sources.list.d and edit the list but it gave me another error pretty much the same except this time
    said somethig like

Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/list/apt.zuijlen.eu_iphone_main_binary-someotherbullshit_Packages

i reedited the list and left everything like before

so please someone could hepl me? i dont know what to do!

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

I'd say just restore. It's better to start fresh than have an issue like this always lurking in the shadows, waiting to happen again.

It's really just better to restore bud.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to H4CK3R For This Useful Post:

leo.819 (07-29-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you so much! But im new using ios i made my first jailbreak with 5.1 so when you say restore you mean cydia or the ipod! And by any chance you know where i could find a tutorial for it! Again thank you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leo.819 View Post
    Hi everyone! This happened to me two days ago, i've been reading about the problem and what to do but still nothing

this it is what appear to me every time i try to open cydia:

Wow, you excceded the number of package names this APT is capable of.

Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/list/cydia.winterboarder.com_._Packages

The packagelist or status file could not be parsed or opened

all cydia packages i've installed disappeared. I don't know what to do i read on a few sites to go to /private/etc/apt/sources.list.d and edit the list but it gave me another error pretty much the same except this time
    said somethig like

Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/list/apt.zuijlen.eu_iphone_main_binary-someotherbullshit_Packages

i reedited the list and left everything like before

so please someone could hepl me? i dont know what to do!
    Can you connect with SSH or MobileTerminal?

If so, can you try:

# dpkg -l |wc

and see what that reports?
    (dpkg [dash] L [pipe] wc)

Quote Originally Posted by leo.819 View Post
    Thank you so much! But im new using ios i made my first jailbreak with 5.1 so when you say restore you mean cydia or the ipod! And by any chance you know where i could find a tutorial for it! Again thank you!
    He probably means "restore the iOS system" which is a bit of a bummer, because you'll have to manually reload/reconfigure everything again afterward.
    Last edited by raduga; 07-29-2012 at 04:12 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to raduga For This Useful Post:

leo.819 (08-01-2012)

Official SaurikIT Support
    Thanks

This "Wow, you exceeded the number of package names" error message happens because Cydia is currently based on a version of APT that can only support having 65k packages available from your installed sources.

Luckily you don't have to restore to fix this problem. Instead, you can fix the problem by removing some of your sources (by going to Manage -> Sources -> Edit on iPhone/iPod touch or to Sources -> Edit on iPad). That will put the number of available packages below 65k so that you can use Cydia again.

If some sources seem to not have a "remove" button when you try to remove them, that usually means they were installed as packages. Go to Manage -> Packages on iPhone/iPod touch (or to Installed on iPad), find the package with the source's name, and uninstall that package.

Keep in mind that pretty much the only way to get to this error message right now is to have several pirate repositories installed (since the default repositories only add up to 41k packages, and legitimate non-default repositories tend to be small). So, to work around this limitation, it's best to uninstall pirate repositories and keep legitimate ones. The default legitimate repositories are BigBoss, Cydia/Telesphoreo, Dev Team, ModMyi, and ZodTTD/MacCiti.

(I know this is an old thread, but I'm posting an answer since the thread comes up in Google searches for this error message.)