+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: tethering help

is a discussion within the

Cydia Support

forums, a part of the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

section;
So, my job keeps me out and about on a daily basis. Often times I have no wifi to tap into. I have a 3Gs 4.0.1 and a compaq presario
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default tethering help
    So, my job keeps me out and about on a daily basis. Often times I have no wifi to tap into. I have a 3Gs 4.0.1 and a compaq presario with windows xp. (dont talk crap it was free and its only for surfing the net).

To date I have:
    set up adhoc connection. . . no go.
    set up PDanet . . . no go. (kinda . . . but super slow)
    iphonemodem (both zsrelay and addition). . . no go.

I somehow got tethering set up on my phone for one hour yesterday and I was running at 11mbps. I was actually really impressive. I dont know how I got it to work but it was on PDanet under the wifi. After I disconnected I could never get my phone to connect to PDanet on anything other than usb.

Iphonemodem by addition worked fine until I updated to 4.0.1 and now it wont even open on the phone.

Zsrelay's version wont "download" from cydia and shows an "error in downloading preferences".

I tried to add my own proxy server deal that I read about on herre and created my own wifi hot spot. . . everything showed up as connected on the computer. . . the phone showed me as connected to the same ip on my sbsettigns. . . but when you go to open a page nothing would happen.

Could someone recommend a program that I can use on a daily basis that is simple to use and trouble free and will work when I want it to work and function every time?

I am looking into mywi 4.0 and I really don't mind paying $20.00 for it. . . I don't mind at all considering this will get us literally 20 - 30 days out of a month. . . traveling in a car / van / truck for 200 miles per day in a commute can get boring. . . I need internet. . . its my addiction. . . if I could plug a router cable into my ven and take the internet intravenously I would. . . until then. . . please help / comment

also. The adhoc stuff, Would there be a reason why this wouldn't work and if not what could you guess that I screwed up? I cant post my instructions if you need.

Green Apple
    Thanks

bump because i really do need some insight on this.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,037 Times in 6,930 Posts

I highly recommend mywi. Definitely the best tethering app and worth the $20. Like having a mini wifi router wherever you go.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

nice shot (09-20-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I have MyWi on my 3GS 3.1.2 and it works nicely. It's simple to use too. Never tried PDANet or other such apps.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

nice shot (09-20-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I highly recommend mywi since the it works so great i travel for work and it's worth every penny except when u go to a place with edge only. I want to rip my eyeballs out at that point. Get it well with every penny and it really is the missing app from apple. IPhone modem and PDA net used them and nothing can touch mywi

8. The Following User Says Thank You to websyndicate For This Useful Post:

nice shot (09-20-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thank you to everyone.

I will be getting this one here soon. I gave up on the PDAnet and the other programs. . . good ideas but it seems you get what you pay for.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nice shot View Post
    Thank you to everyone.

I will be getting this one here soon. I gave up on the PDAnet and the other programs. . . good ideas but it seems you get what you pay for.

does mywi allow teathering without a jailbreak? I need to teather an iphone 4.0 that can't be jailbroken.

Thanks

No it needs to be jailbroken.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Basically if your not jail broke you are left with paying apple a monthly fee to tether your phone. . . which I think I might do considering I am getting the iphone 5 when it drops this summer. . . .so to pay to have it on my phone doesnt really help me too much.

We'll see though

Holy crap talk about thinking one thing and typing another.... Embarrassing.

Thanks for catching it bro.
    Last edited by nice shot; 09-21-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Mistake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nice shot View Post
    Basically if your not jail broke you are left with paying apple a monthly fee to jailbreak your phone. . . which I think I might do considering I am getting the iphone 5 when it drops this summer. . . .so to pay to have it on my phone doesnt really help me too much.

We'll see though
    Huh?? Apple jailbreak your phone? I don't think so...