+ Reply
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Updates

is a discussion within the

Cydia Support

forums, a part of the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

section;
no black screen after 4 ou 5s ...
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by parms95 View Post
    time for a restore

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chevyderth View Post
    you are going to be missing a handful of files in /sbin and about 9 files from /usr/sbin

here's some ziped dir's from a working iphone Index of /iphone

I think I found all the files I need, going to attempt a reboot soon :
    You are a lifesaver. Got your files did an apt-get -f install and was able to get what I needed. **** ROCK. I was led to believe it was an apt-get based system. Thanks again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupus Yonderboy View Post
    You are a lifesaver. Got your files did an apt-get -f install and was able to get what I needed. **** ROCK. I was led to believe it was an apt-get based system. Thanks again.
    also there are pictures of the dir and the permissions i put up there too.. really thanks should go out to Lunatik_ on IRC (EFNet) who supplied me with these files off his iphone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So now that we know whats missing is there any way to get the files onto borked phones via irecovery or some such?

Have some pics on my phone that have not been synced yet and am reluctant to wipe and reinstall just yet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kandoko View Post
    So now that we know whats missing is there any way to get the files onto borked phones via irecovery or some such?

Have some pics on my phone that have not been synced yet and am reluctant to wipe and reinstall just yet.
    I don't think so man...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think it's funny chpwn, surak, possiden, you guys all blaming rock, I've had issues with the update and rock has NEVER been installed on my phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stfudvs View Post
    I think it's funny chpwn, surak, possiden, you guys all blaming rock, I've had issues with the update and rock has NEVER been installed on my phone.
    Yeah I was wondering about that myself..

Thanks

Same here. Can't open Cydia anymore, it just crashes to SB.
    Quote Originally Posted by stfudvs View Post

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hi everyone.

This error happened to me too. Basically I saw that Rock had updates and just proceeded to update without checking what was being updated. Long story short, it seems that doing this update/upgrade via Rock deletes some of your bin/sbin files for whatever reason and that then causes the updates/upgrade to fail as outlined in this thread.

I'm not going to get into a debate about which is better, Rock or Cydia, but rather point out that thanks to chevyderth, I was able to correct the problem and update/upgrade without further errors.

you are going to be missing a handful of files in /sbin and about 9 files from /usr/sbin

Thank you so much for this. For anyone else experiencing problems mentioned in this thread, these files are all you need.
    1. Download these zip files and extract them
    2. Connect your iPhone to your computer and open iPhoneBrowser (or whatever allows you to browser/edit/replace files on your iPhone)
    3. In iPhoneBrowser, navigate to the relevant directories on your iPhone and open them - they will open in the right windowpane of iPhoneBrowser - then copy the files you are missing from the relevant extracted zip file to your iPhone by selecting and dragging from your file explorer to the correct directory in iPhoneBrowser
    4. Once all the files are copied to the correct directories on your iPhone, close iPhoneBrowser
    5. On your iPhone, open Cydia app and when it pops up the upgrade options, choose the "upgrade all" option
    6. The upgrade will now work without errors and once complete you'll be good to go

Edit: If you use Rock, after the update/upgrade in Cydia, Rock will still list that updates are available on the app icon (on your springboard). But once you click the Rock app and open it, it will refresh and realise the updates/upgrades have already been done and all will be back to normal.

This worked for me on my jb 3G 8gb iPhone (Model: MB489x - Baseband: 05.12.01).

Thanks again to chevyderth for providing the required files.

Cheers
    Nef.
    Last edited by Un-Nefer; 05-04-2010 at 09:37 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Un-Nefer For This Useful Post:

didli (05-05-2010), Matchstick (05-05-2010), MinuteDreamer (05-30-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parms95 View Post
    Hi, i'll have the same problem, both Rock & Cydia failed to update to the last version of Cydia Installer. *
    In my case, i've just solved it :
    In Rock, instead of trying updating the Cydia Installer, i chosed "reinstall" option. Now, the version is 1.0.3172-68 and work fine.

I hope it will help you.
    This worked for me. thats a big help

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

how is this a rock problem?

I am getting the same thing in cydia and havent touched rock. This has been going on for days now , how is this not fixed or removed yet?

Im kinda pissed at this point. I had to restore my phone yesterday. Had the same thing happen to me with the silver apple logo then instant power off. I restored and then got the error and googled and found my way here.

So i reinstalled cydia installer from like the post above said. I fear rebooting again due to this god awfulness.
    Last edited by aimetti; 05-05-2010 at 05:19 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tried this solution and finally got all updates on my iPod Touch 2G (3.1.2 / blackra1n) done.

But i fear rebooting because of the following errors:
    Code:
    Marks-iPod:/sbin root# fstyp_hfs
    -sh: /sbin/fstyp_hfs: Bad CPU type in executable
    Marks-iPod:/sbin root# newfs_hfs
    -sh: /sbin/newfs_hfs: Bad CPU type in executable
    Marks-iPod:/sbin root# mount
    -sh: /sbin/mount: Bad CPU type in executable
    Marks-iPod:/sbin root# fstyp
    -sh: /sbin/fstyp: Bad CPU type in executable
    Marks-iPod:/sbin root# fsck
    -sh: /sbin/fsck: Bad CPU type in executable
    fsck_hfs works for whatever reason.

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aimetti View Post
    how is this a rock problem?

I am getting the same thing in cydia and havent touched rock. This has been going on for days now , how is this not fixed or removed yet?

Im kinda pissed at this point. I had to restore my phone yesterday. Had the same thing happen to me with the silver apple logo then instant power off. I restored and then got the error and googled and found my way here.

So i reinstalled cydia installer from like the post above said. I fear rebooting again due to this god awfulness.
    There is going to be a giant treatise, complete with log outputs of Rock showing it, step by step, doing the wrong thing with these packages (so bad that dpkg screams out in pain trying to convince the person calling it that they are doing something wrong, not that Rock cares, of course), that is going to be posted here sometime in the next day.

That said, there could totally be multiple problems: the people who tried the upgrade with Rock are definitely 100% screwed, and that is not the fault of the upgrade. So far there sounds to be a large number of these people. Meanwhile, I've found maybe four people, total, who have experienced this issue and were not using Rock.

I therefore feel rather confident that we are dealing with two issues. It seems all nice and tidy to think there must be one underlying bug, but that's way too simple, especially when the non-Rock users are in such a tiny minority and we have clear-cut evidence of a Rock bug.

So, can you tell me: did you ever uninstall the system-cmds or diskdev-cmds package? The former comes with Cydia, and the latter is an Essential package that comes as an upgrade. If you have ever previously removed either of these two packages, you were already screwed, and this new firmware-sbin package is going to fail to install.

(Which is an important point: firmware-sbin failing to install is just an indicator that you are already screwed. That package itself is not causing any of the issues anyone is experiencing: that is because, somehow, the packages diskdev-cmds and/or system-cmds were uninstalled or upgrade in the wrong order relative to firmare-sbin.)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

pretty sure i never removed any of those.

when i get home ill restore again. I rebooted to see if it happened again after attempting the bin/sbin/ replacement etc and now it just hangs on the apple logo.

Ill reload everything and install just cydia again and post back .

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Bit peed off...
    Ok so I am one of the unlucky few who managed to download the *broken* updates to Rock/Cydia (not getting into that one...)

Then by a sheer stroke of bad luck put my phone into recovery mode in order to get my ECID and save it to Umbrella to secure my Blob ID after being warned that Sauriks servers were becoming overwhelmed due to the release of Spirit.

I am now stuck with a 3GS which was pwned to 3.1.2 with the ver 4 baseband and ultrasn0w unlock which will not boot. Now I know I can just DFU and restore but I have some photos/contacts on their which I have not synced yet (stupid I know but i have just returned from 4 weeks in the US!)

So the question is - mainly to Saurik - will I ever be able to fix this issue without a restore? Or is their a way to access the files whilst in Recovery mode (I think this was taken away from iBoot??) in order to get my files back before I reluctantly restore my Phone???

Aaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!
    Last edited by sandyb; 05-05-2010 at 07:40 AM.

dxe
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    There is going to be a giant treatise, complete with log outputs of Rock showing it, step by step, doing the wrong thing with these packages (so bad that dpkg screams out in pain trying to convince the person calling it that they are doing something wrong, not that Rock cares, of course), that is going to be posted here sometime in the next day.

That said, there could totally be multiple problems: the people who tried the upgrade with Rock are definitely 100% screwed, and that is not the fault of the upgrade. So far there sounds to be a large number of these people. Meanwhile, I've found maybe four people, total, who have experienced this issue and were not using Rock.

I therefore feel rather confident that we are dealing with two issues. It seems all nice and tidy to think there must be one underlying bug, but that's way too simple, especially when the non-Rock users are in such a tiny minority and we have clear-cut evidence of a Rock bug.

So, can you tell me: did you ever uninstall the system-cmds or diskdev-cmds package? The former comes with Cydia, and the latter is an Essential package that comes as an upgrade. If you have ever previously removed either of these two packages, you were already screwed, and this new firmware-sbin package is going to fail to install.

(Which is an important point: firmware-sbin failing to install is just an indicator that you are already screwed. That package itself is not causing any of the issues anyone is experiencing: that is because, somehow, the packages diskdev-cmds and/or system-cmds were uninstalled or upgrade in the wrong order relative to firmare-sbin.)
    Saurik

I never uninstalled any of these packages - either manually or via a GUI option.

I did however fall into the Rock trap.

I think I have fully recovered though from information in this forum

I was able to fake out the /usr/sbin/nvram file and do a manual apt-get upgrade. I was still missing files in /bin, /sbin and /usr/sbin and just restored those files from zips posted on this thread.

Are there any tests I can do to see if my phone will reboot normally??

I can now go to Cydia normally and no updates are found. Would it be wise to re-install (from Cydia) the firmware-sbin package?

Thanks

Dan

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Me the idiot , i accidentally copied the entire bin and overwrote it with the new files up top. word to the wise dont do what I did. Unless you want to stare at a silver apple logo all day.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there a firmware-sbin package in Cydia? I couldn't find one.. ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    aimetti, I presume you did all this after a restore? or were you able to update the files with the phone in recovery mode?

Still hoping to get my files off an unbootable 3GS at the moment!