Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Down?

Quote Originally Posted by SpookyET View Post
    I wish Installer 4.0 was more popular just because of this. I do not even have Installer 4.0 installed because it lacks many packages. Nevertheless, from the design point of view, it is very close to the AppStore, for which any application installer should strive. It's easy to use and has a good looking GUI.

Cydia is 40MiB of crap. Granted, the GNU sub-system is nice, for those that need it, but it should not be a requirement for an iPhone application installer. I understand why he did not want to reinvent the wheel, like Installer, but out of all the Linux package managers, he chose one of the most complicated, if not the most complicated one. .deb packages are easy on Linux from the user's point of view, but from the developer's point of view, they are utter nightmare. They are very complicated to create. I have done a few and hated every minute of it. There are dirt-simple and robust ones like Pacman.

Cydia's GUI is a miserable failure. The developers must read the iPhone Human Interface Guidelines. It's pathetic. Not only that it is ugly and badly designed, but it also is frustrating to use. 'Loading Data', 'Reloading Data', screens are annoying, it makes the application very slow. Even on Linux, repository updates are done once a day or at N hours. They are not even done at every application restart. Doing repository updates after every operation is idiotic. OpenSuse were berated for doing it at every application restart. They would have been lynched if they did it after every operation.

App pages should be generated from the package itself, we are using a package manager after all, not from random internet web pages with ads. It makes them inconsistent. Did the ads help you keep the servers up? No. Ads in a package manager is horrible. They also contain more information that 99.99% of the user need to see.

Another GUI failure is the installation. Do I need to see dpkg output in the installation screen as if I have installed from the console on Linux? No. This is the iPhone. It's supposed to be sexy. It's supposed to have a nice progress bar. It's supposed to have a nice GUI. Give me a nice installation. Reuse the AppStore-style installation that brings you back to he SpringBoard and shows the application icon with a progress bar, or do it with a queue like Installer.

Speaking of installation, just because the main Cydia server is down, nothing installs from any repository? If you try to install anything, you will get tens of failure pop-ups instead of just one. Not deb-based package manager behaves like that. If a repository is down, obviously, the packages from that repository won't install. But, packages from other repositories do install.

Lastly, why do we need a package manager after all? Why introduce dependency hell. Why can't 3rd party applications be in the for of .IPA files and be self-contained like the ones from the AppStore.

Why make things complicated?
    Chill bro -- Where's your installer?

Just take it out on your kids or something, hell they could probably use a beating...

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

After operating a large repository for both package managers for over a year now, I have a few thoughts on this. When I first met Cydia, I was a bit critical, but now that I've got a solid amount of use in both under my belt, Cydia is FAR superior to Installer.

I wish Installer 4.0 was more popular just because of this. I do not even have Installer 4.0 installed because it lacks many packages. Nevertheless, from the design point of view, it is very close to the AppStore, for which any application installer should strive. It's easy to use and has a good looking GUI.
    Agreed that the Installer GUI was more simple than Cydia - although Cydia has gone through some major transformations, and is getting more attention on the GUI side than ever. Improvements are constant.

Cydia is 40MiB of crap. Granted, the GNU sub-system is nice, for those that need it, but it should not be a requirement for an iPhone application installer. I understand why he did not want to reinvent the wheel, like Installer, but out of all the Linux package managers, he chose one of the most complicated, if not the most complicated one.
    Installer had a buggy-at-best subsystem which was still required for a large amount of useful utilities, necessitating a 30+ MB download for users, confusing them as to what the package was and why they even needed it. Cydia circumvents this issue by BEING the subsystem as well. Rather, including it in the install. Cydia itself requires the subsystem, as does WinterBoard, and many of the more unique packages in Cydia.

AppStore gets around this by simply NOT ALLOWING users to use more complex features of the OS. Ever seen a video recorder in the AppStore?

.deb packages are easy on Linux from the user's point of view, but from the developer's point of view, they are utter nightmare. They are very complicated to create. I have done a few and hated every minute of it. There are dirt-simple and robust ones like Pacman.
    I'd have to wholeheartedly disagree on this point. .deb's were a bit of a learning curve for me, but the system is MUCH quicker now that creating Installer zip's was, and maintaining ONE HUGE Installer plist was ridiculous, and ONE error in any package would make the entire repo unreadable by Installer. That system was *very* accident prone. And of course lack of documentation - .deb's have over a decade of use, improvement, and documentation.

Cydia's GUI is a miserable failure. The developers must read the iPhone Human Interface Guidelines. It's pathetic. Not only that it is ugly and badly designed, but it also is frustrating to use. 'Loading Data', 'Reloading Data', screens are annoying, it makes the application very slow. Even on Linux, repository updates are done once a day or at N hours. They are not even done at every application restart. Doing repository updates after every operation is idiotic. OpenSuse were berated for doing it at every application restart. They would have been lynched if they did it after every operation.
    Agreed that some processes could be streamlined. Saurik is constantly working on updates in this regard, and works closely with repo maintainers and users alike. It took me days-weeks to get a response at all from Installer folks (if I got one at all), even though I maintained the second largest of the Community Repositories.

App pages should be generated from the package itself, we are using a package manager after all, not from random internet web pages with ads. It makes them inconsistent. Did the ads help you keep the servers up? No. Ads in a package manager is horrible. They also contain more information that 99.99% of the user need to see.
    Those ads go to the packagers, not Saurik. And his server going down was not because of not paying the bill, but a billing issue on the host's part.

ModMyi.com alone as a repository uses over 1.5TB (yup, 1024 GB) of bandwidth, and a whole lot of server resources to serve over 40 million requests monthly. This is NOT cheap. If you have $10k/year to simply "give" to this community just because you like modding your iPhone, then by all means host a repo our size, spend 20-30 hours a week updating, maintaining, and keeping it running smooth, and don't serve a single ad on it. I'll get you a medal.

Another GUI failure is the installation. Do I need to see dpkg output in the installation screen as if I have installed from the console on Linux? No. This is the iPhone. It's supposed to be sexy. It's supposed to have a nice progress bar. It's supposed to have a nice GUI. Give me a nice installation. Reuse the AppStore-style installation that brings you back to he SpringBoard and shows the application icon with a progress bar, or do it with a queue like Installer.
    Agreed - or at least the option to have verbose or graphical output.

Speaking of installation, just because the main Cydia server is down, nothing installs from any repository? If you try to install anything, you will get tens of failure pop-ups instead of just one. Not deb-based package manager behaves like that. If a repository is down, obviously, the packages from that repository won't install. But, packages from other repositories do install.
    This is not accurate at all. Users were merely saying that SAURIK'S packages were failing (obviously, since his server was down). And of course, that means packages which depend on his packages (his packages including MobileSubstrate, WinterBoard, and others) will also fail - this is standard debian packaging procedure. Saurik just happens to build some of the most used tools for the iPhone.

Lastly, why do we need a package manager after all? Why introduce dependency hell. Why can't 3rd party applications be in the for of .IPA files and be self-contained like the ones from the AppStore.
    Same reason the AppStore exists. You mention .ipa files from.... the AppStore. A package manager (albeit a pretty one). With thousands of packages in Cydia, and thousands more out there NOT in Cydia, a one-stop shop to check them out is a brilliant offering.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Cydia is 40MiB of crap. Granted, the GNU sub-system is nice, for those that need it, but it should not be a requirement for an iPhone application installer. I understand why he did not want to reinvent the wheel, like Installer, but out of all the Linux package managers, he chose one of the most complicated, if not the most complicated one. .deb packages are easy on Linux from the user's point of view, but from the developer's point of view, they are utter nightmare. They are very complicated to create. I have done a few and hated every minute of it. There are dirt-simple and robust ones like Pacman.

Why make things complicated?

Hi, My name is SpookyET and I a tool....You will have to forgive me, I can not appreciate the fact that Cydia is a far more useful tool than I.
    Last edited by ShotWithAnSLR; 02-03-2009 at 06:54 AM.

Not working for me

Default Cydia Down
    Its actually crashing when loading now for me. To the dude with all the opinions of Cydia - remember one HUGE thing... ITS FREE!!! YOU PAY ZERO ZILCH NADA FOR IT! Enjoy what you got or make your own.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My cydia Home page wouldn't load today, from about 7AM to 4PM. It worked after for a little bit. Now, when I open it, it just reads Loading data for 3-4 seconds and crashes. Oh god. Help!!!!

Default Cydia Down
    Mine too dude... Think global issue.. Sarauk is a good dude - im sure just a matter of time.

Yo, after Cydia came back up it kept givin me the same *****...

I got feed up with that so I did the old apt-get update, followed by the remove cydia and install cydia, another get update (no reboot between anything) and boom! She's back in business...

But I have to say, that's the the first time that whole dog and pony show ever worked for me. That apt-get biz is generaly a big fat Zero for me, but I'm generaly an idiot.

LOL - Thanks Buff! Ill give it a try -- we can both be idiots! LOL!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Did anyone get their cydia to not crash yet?

Quote Originally Posted by xAxJxLx929 View Post
    Did anyone get their cydia to not crash yet?
    Yes... see above apt commands. Mine worked after that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by expertvis View Post
    Yes... see above apt commands. Mine worked after that.
    what are the exact commands? and where do you enter them in? terminal?

Quote Originally Posted by xAxJxLx929 View Post
    what are the exact commands? and where do you enter them in? terminal?
    I'm not an expert by any stretch of the word and if you read up a bit you will see I have already established I'm generally an idiot and do tend to brick my phone once a month screwing with some.plist file I shouldn't be.

That said, this work for me earlier today and has been rock solid since after reboots and everything:

Open mobile terminal type:

apt-get update (then hit enter) I did this just to see what the hell errors where going down because nothing closes down in terminal.

When its done type:

apt-get remove cydia (hit enter) its going to then ask you to type

"Yes, do as I say!"

Do it...

Then when that wraps up type:

apt-get install cydia (and watch her go).

I did not reboot between, I never left terminal and now it works.

If you do this and your ***** breaks, I am completely void of any responsibility via the Idiot Clause I've stated above.

It's legally binding.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I didn't do that. well. not exactly.

first i had a bunch of errors due to files that didn't have persmission.

so i fixed all of those errors and then it told me a source was not readable or something so i deleted the file and cydia started working again =]

Go vis!

The idiots are getting it done today brother...

[as I am open editing a script file with a core file open as well, not backed up 4 pints into my Irish half dozen].

LOL

Nice AJ, that's the first thing I do when I have issues.

Start deleting crap that looks like "lock" or "failed" and jack every permission to a volume of 10. Sometimes it works, sometimes she boat anchors.

But I do love it so.
    Last edited by buffaloirish; 02-02-2009 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

All I'm getting today when trying to install apps from cydia is "size missmatch". What does that mean ?
    Never had issues with cydia before.

I havent downloaded anything today -- let me check and Ill let you know, If I see same.

Quote Originally Posted by lou rob View Post
    All I'm getting today when trying to install apps from cydia is "size missmatch". What does that mean ?
    Never had issues with cydia before.
    Just downloaded clear cam app from Cydia. installed fine. I had to apt-get remove cydia and then apt-install cydia yesterday and now Cydia works fine. Good luck!
    Last edited by expertvis; 02-03-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone brett k's Avatar
    Thanks

I got that size mismatch earlier today when I tried to get clearcam, now I can get it.

yea i cant get on either

size mismatch means that the hash from the .deb file doesn't match the hash from the packages index file. Just have to wait till the packager fixes the problem.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast