Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
Thread: How To Make A Cydia Repository
11-06-2008, 10:39 PM #1How To Make A Cydia Repository
Hey everyone! I know that a lot of people want to make their own Cydia repo and don't understand Saurik's instructions. That's why I'm telling you how to do this. When I say something, you should understand it. Let's get started!
What You Need:
-Mac or Virtual Machine with Debian installed
-Fink (If your on a Mac) Get it here
OK here we go!
If the images are too small, click on them to make them big.
1. Make a folder on the desktop called "MyProgram" without quotes.
2. Make 2 folders inside MyProgram called "Applications" and "DEBIAN" without quotes. If you have an app, you make an "Applications" folder. If you have a wallpaper, you would instead of an "Applications" folder, you'd put the directory of where the wallpaper would go.
EX: For wallpaper: MyProgram > Library > Wallpapers > Wallpaper goes here
For app: MyProgram > Applications > App goes here
3. Put your .app file into the "Applications" folder. Remember, if your something like a wallpaper, put it in MyProgram > Library >Wallpapers > Wallpaper goes here
4. Now go into Spotlight, the magnifying glass in the top right corner of the screen and search "textedit" without quotes.
5. Now copy and paste the code below into TextEdit.
Maintainer: You <your email>
Name: Name of package
Package: Bundle identifier
Section: Section it could be found in
Version: version of package
Description: Description of package
Sponsor: You <http://yoursite.com>
6. After you edit, it should look somewhat like this:
7. Hit "Save As..." and save it as "control" without quotes and uncheck "If no extension is provided, use .txt"
8. Now put the control file in MyProgram > DEBIAN
9. Now Launch Terminal by going to Spotlight and search Terminal. When you open it, it should look like this:
10. In Terminal, type "cd /Users/your username/Desktop and hit enter shown here:
11. OK, copy and paste this code into Terminal: dpkg-deb -b MyProgram and hit enter.
As you can see, it says there are warnings. That's OK! When you typed that command, it made a new file called MyProgram.deb It's that easy to make a DEB file!
12. Now let's make our repo's info. Copy and paste the code below.
Origin: Name of your repo
Label: Header when the user taps your repo
Description: Description of your repo
13. When you're done editing it, it should look like this:
It does say control at the top because I just deleted the text from the control file. DON'T DO THAT!
14. Click File > Save As... and save it as "Release" without quotes. And make sure there is not extension!
15. Make a new folder on the Desktop and name it "cydiarepo" without quotes.
16. Inside "cydiarepo" make a folder called "debs" without quotes.
17. Now go back into Terminal and type this command: dpkg-scanpackages -m . /dev/null -->Packages
Then hit enter.
Notice it created a "Packages" file on your Desktop.
18. Now go back to Terminal and type this command: gzip -f Packages
Then hit enter.
Notice that it gzipped the Packages file and made a new file called Packages.gz
19. Double click Packages.gz and it will extract the Packages file. When it's done, dragthe Release file, Packages, and Packages.gz into the cydiarepo folder.
20. Now drag the MyProgram.deb file into the "debs" folder in cydiarepo.
Rename the DEB file to whatever you want. EX: Snapture.deb
21. Go to back one, and highlight everything. Then, right click and click Compress 4 Items.
Then click Compress 4 items...
It will make a file called "Archive.zip"
22. Make a folder on your site that will be the main directory of where we upload the files. Then upload the zip to that folder. I named my folder cydiademo.
23. If it makes a folder called __MACOSX, just delete that. Also delete Archive.zip.
24. Open up the Packages file and copy and paste the text below:
MD5Sum: Put the MD5 hash here (to find this out, go to http://hashemall.com and select MD5)
Maintainer: Who maintains the package <their email>
Description: Description of package
Package: Bundle Identifier
Section: Section it shows up in
Author: Who made the app <their email>
Filename: directory where the deb can be found
Version: Version of Package
Size: Unix Size (Right click on deb and click get info, and view size on disk. input the numbers ONLY, not the commas.)
Homepage: URL for More Info
Name: Name of package
When done, it should look like this:
25. Now copy and paste what you put in the Packages file into the Packages file on your desktop. Then save it.
26. Each time you modify the Packages file, you have to make a new .gz file. Type the command in Terminal: gzip -f Packages
27. In your repo folder on your site, delete Packages.gz and upload the new one. I'm not going to show a pic this time.
I think that's it! Oh yah! One more thing! Whenever you upload a new DEB, you have to change the Packages and Packages.gz files so they're up to date. Each time you cahne the Packages file, you skip a line, then copy the info you posted in there already.
It'll look like this:
So how was this tutorial? Comment.
Index of /
YouTube - RoboticShowOff's Channel
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to itouchr For This Useful Post:
11-15-2008, 06:28 PM #2
Thanks for this guide, and i know this is a stupid question, but how would i go about installing debian on a macbook running os x 10.5.5.? thanks!
11-15-2008, 07:17 PM #3
Great tutorial.. Very easy to follow. Thanks..
check your pm'sProud MMi Retired Moderator.
11-15-2008, 08:45 PM #4
the actual os? download virtualbox and download the debian iso.
It's really easy to do.
Last edited by itouchr; 11-15-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
11-19-2008, 02:26 PM #5
i got everything done, but still no show on cydia, it says i have to do some source.list but have no idea how to
11-19-2008, 04:52 PM #6
11-19-2008, 06:36 PM #7
Last edited by kanaya; 11-23-2008 at 09:00 PM.
11-23-2008, 09:00 PM #8
11-25-2008, 04:03 AM #9
If you are on debian anyway, I can recommend apt-ftparchive, from the 'apt-utils' package, which automates some of the steps above, including the checksumming.
See the bottom of CoreDev Cydia repository
11-26-2008, 07:47 AM #10
i have problem for create control, terminal say this error: /sw/bin/dpkg-deb: parse error, in file `MyProgram/DEBIAN/control' near line 4: duplicate value for user-defined field
help me pleases thanks
Last edited by kennopix; 11-26-2008 at 07:50 AM.
11-29-2008, 01:35 AM #11
12-01-2008, 07:13 AM #12
The repo ready!
but I get this error when I go to install package:
12-04-2008, 05:54 PM #13Windows
How 'bout for Windows?
12-06-2008, 12:32 PM #14
Okay, I feel pretty stupid.. but when I'm trying to save the control file, there is no "If no extension is provided, use .txt" check box. I can only save with an extension. I'm running OS X 10.5.5. How can I make this show up?
12-06-2008, 02:55 PM #15
Go up to the Format menu and choose "Make Plain Text".
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews
The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:
12-07-2008, 08:04 AM #16
Okay. Now I'm at the step "Extract" after you upload the .zip to your server, which I have done. What file am I extracting, to where, and with what? I'm using Transmit to upload the files.
Last edited by xcsic; 12-07-2008 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
12-10-2008, 04:40 PM #17
Can anybody give me an answer on this? I'd really like to get my repo up ASAP.
12-11-2008, 07:04 PM #18
12-12-2008, 04:38 PM #19
The Archive.zip. I have it up on my server, but I'm not sure what to do with the steps "Then extract..." and "23. If it makes a folder called __MACOSX, just delete that. Also delete Archive.zip."
12-15-2008, 10:49 PM #20