+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia wont start anymore after adding a new source

is a discussion within the

Cydia Support

forums, a part of the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

section;
Hi, After I tried to add a new source to Cydia it crashed, and now when I hit the Cydia icon I see a blank page for a few seconds
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Cydia wont start anymore after adding a new source
    Hi,

After I tried to add a new source to Cydia it crashed, and now when I hit the Cydia icon I see a blank page for a few seconds and then it closes.

I've tried to reinstall Cydia using Terminal on my iBook, but I always end up with this error:

"Reading package lists... Error!
    E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/rep.sources.co.il_._Packages
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened."

Please help

Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Resolved Similar Issue
    I had this problem the other day, couldn't find anyone else that had the same problem nor any clear details on how to fix the issue.
    I visited the sarik irc channel and a person helped me a little bit.

Theres a number of conditions I'm assuiming you have:

Windows OS Computer
    OpenSSH installed on your iphone (installed via cydia or installer)
    Putty installed on your computer
    Wifi connection to computer

First let me appologise if I don't completely explain myself or miss a step, i'm writeing this off the top of my head and I have only performed this myself once, succesfully.

------
    Open putty and connect to your iphone's ip address using the SSH protocal
    login using username: root / password: alpine (or the password you changed it to when you installed OpenSSH on your iphone)

Type in: apt-get remove cydia
    you'l be prompted to confirm with: Yes, do what I say!
    If you don't confirm correctly you will receive an abort message

once uninstalled type in: apt-get install --force-yes cydia

Cydia will reinstall.
    Click on Cydia on your iphone and it should open with no problems.

Hope this helps.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wazza647 For This Useful Post:

Arkillez (01-11-2009), esingleterry (03-19-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, those commands just give me the same error (as reported in my first post)...

I use a Mac btw (iBook), but I don't think that makes any difference... I can connect to my iPhone fine using Terminal (similar to Windows' Putty).

I'm really stuck here. I just want to reinstall Cydia without having to restore everything through iTunes... Are there any other alternatives than using SSH? Any ideas anyone? Anything? Please let me know

I just got my iPhone two days ago, and in addition to no bluetooth file transfer, having such a locked down system in my smartphone is really starting to bug me... If only it had a proper file manager... *sigh*

Thanks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beva922's Avatar
    Thanks

Try navigating to->>>/private/var/stash/Applications.mHoVWr/Cydia.app/Sources
    >Then delete the source you added...that's all I can give you...its really a crap shoot

Oh wait...never mind I didn't realize your failed attempt at a re-install sorry
    Last edited by Beva922; 08-31-2008 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Beva922 For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (02-06-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Never mind
    Got it sorted. (well, sort of... ) Using Cyberduck I just deleted the file: rep.sources.co.il_._Packages under /var/lib/apt/lists/. I also deleted rep.sources.co.il_._Release

I can't believe I didn't think of that before seeing as that was the name of the sourse causing problems, and the path was right there in the error I got...

However, when I started Cydia the sourse was still there and I couldn't delete from Cydia, nor did it show up under /Cydia.app/Sources in Cyberduck.

Well, at least it works now, though it seems a more buggy than before. It even made my iPhone restart - which never happened before...

I even opened Termial again and typed in: apt-get remove cydia, confirmed the message I got and then typed apt-get install cydia. Finally I typed in: apt-get update (which took some time to finish). But that didn't make any difference, and i had to delete the rep.sources.co.il files all over again... What a headache...

Anyway, like I mentioned, at least Cydia will start up now, but I just don't understand why I can't get completely rid of that stupid source...

Thanks anyway for your replies.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default W00t
    Thats great news, I'm glad you got it working.
    Sorry, as I said in my first reply I might of missed somthing out.. I also got an error the first time round. I used filezilla, ftp'd to the iphone, backed up the problematic file (just in case), deleted it the file off the iphone than tried again to remove than reinstall .. it worked.

Congrats

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

the apt-get update didn't fully work for me. It gets stuck at the zodttd at 99%

Cydia is acting very odd for me. It shows to install things but then when I hit 'return to cydia' then the home button it hangs, turns black, the time bar remains then flashes to the home screen.
    Then the item may not show on my home screen (if it has an icon).

I installed apple sliders. It looked good. but then they weren't there. even after restart.

ANd cydia seems to crash every now and then. weird.

(winpwn 2.5, 800mb partition. 2.0.2, did restore from backup, tried again without restore from backup same issues)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
    Got it sorted. (well, sort of... ) Using Cyberduck I just deleted the file: rep.sources.co.il_._Packages under /var/lib/apt/lists/. I also deleted rep.sources.co.il_._Release

I can't believe I didn't think of that before seeing as that was the name of the sourse causing problems, and the path was right there in the error I got...

However, when I started Cydia the sourse was still there and I couldn't delete from Cydia, nor did it show up under /Cydia.app/Sources in Cyberduck.

Well, at least it works now, though it seems a more buggy than before. It even made my iPhone restart - which never happened before...

I even opened Termial again and typed in: apt-get remove cydia, confirmed the message I got and then typed apt-get install cydia. Finally I typed in: apt-get update (which took some time to finish). But that didn't make any difference, and i had to delete the rep.sources.co.il files all over again... What a headache...

Anyway, like I mentioned, at least Cydia will start up now, but I just don't understand why I can't get completely rid of that stupid source...

Thanks anyway for your replies.
    i mate,

i had the same painful prob also, and i followed the same steps as you did with no luck.

however ive managed to work it out and it 100% works. do as follows.

ssh into your fone or pod, navigate to etc/apt/sources.list.d- now find the file cydia.list open it with text edit if your using a mac, inside you will find what your looking for "rep.sources.co.il" and simply delete it. this is exactly what i did and worked a charm.

good luck
    Last edited by poobaa7; 09-05-2008 at 05:20 AM.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to poobaa7 For This Useful Post:

andresegal (01-06-2009), calvin_gsc (10-09-2008), coupletea (11-30-2008), Cowboyfromhell4 (09-10-2008), kilr.ryd (01-30-2009), reanimationxp (02-06-2009), wmduarte (01-08-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    thanks pooba!, worked 100%.

can we add sources like that too?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    hi mate glad to help. im not sure ive not tried it yet though i'd imagine you can. let me know how ya go.

rob

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by poobaa7 View Post
    i mate,

i had the same painful prob also, and i followed the same steps as you did with no luck.

ssh into your fone or pod, navigate to etc/apt/sources.list.d- now find the file cydia.list open it with text edit if your using a mac, inside you will find what your looking for "rep.sources.co.il" and simply delete it. this is exactly what i did and worked a charm.

good luck
    Thanks for the guide. That damned source is a pain in the ***. I panicked and I didn't want to reinstall cydia and have all my apps screwed up. Thank god for google and you!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't mean to butt in but, I had the same problem with Cydia not opening. I installed Cydia and Installer via quickpwn.exe file about 3 days ago. I also got winterboard and a bunch of cool things. Last night loaded NES then the package 1 nes thing, after that I downloaded makeitmine. I then clicked on the Cydia logo it tries to open then it takes me back to the home screen. Unfortunately, I do not understand anything you guys spoke about in this board because I am a NOOB sorry. I have done a lot of research trying to figure out how to fix my problem. First thing I did was try to reload cydia with the quickpwn.exe file but, that didn't work. Then I hear about this "openSSH" thing. I have no idea what that is or what SSH stands for. I tried to find a definition but I could not find one. Is SSH an abbreviation for something. What does it do and can I get it without cydia? I read about a way to make a list of all the apps I got then restoring the phone through itunes but, I could not get instructions on how to make a list and save it so it will load back to the phone via itunes. Is this a way to fix my problem? If so is there a tutorial for this? If not can you explain to me what I should do to fix it. If you say I should just restore the whole thing can you tell me how to do that also. pleeease.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

your the greatest pooba... worked 100% for me.

Thanks

i mate,

good luck
    Thanks a lot, I have the same problem and with your help, it was resolved...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Cydia Not starting Returning to home Screen "Resolved"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza647 View Post
    I had this problem the other day, couldn't find anyone else that had the same problem nor any clear details on how to fix the issue.
    I visited the sarik irc channel and a person helped me a little bit.

Theres a number of conditions I'm assuiming you have:

Windows OS Computer
    OpenSSH installed on your iphone (installed via cydia or installer)
    Putty installed on your computer
    Wifi connection to computer

First let me appologise if I don't completely explain myself or miss a step, i'm writeing this off the top of my head and I have only performed this myself once, succesfully.

------
    Open putty and connect to your iphone's ip address using the SSH protocal
    login using username: root / password: alpine (or the password you changed it to when you installed OpenSSH on your iphone)

Type in: apt-get remove cydia
    you'l be prompted to confirm with: Yes, do what I say!
    If you don't confirm correctly you will receive an abort message

once uninstalled type in: apt-get install --force-yes cydia

Cydia will reinstall.
    Click on Cydia on your iphone and it should open with no problems.

Hope this helps.
    I just wanted to say thanks to all. I was in a tight spot there for a minute. But with all the good advice here on the forums I got through it. I used Putty to ssh my way in like I read here on the posts and it finally worked. I could not get it to work via WinSCP but with Putty I was able to put that final command "Yes, Do As I say"....whew what a relief.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hello if some one ca please help me.. i am having problems with cydia i dont know why or what i did but it just doesnt open.. it starts to then crashes... reading the forums everyone says to oppen ssh and, unfortunatley i have no idea what that is or how to do it so i dont have to completly restore the phone..

i'm using windows xp, and have iphone 3g... my installer still works so if i can open ssh with it that would be great.. If someone can please give me a step by step or, also if there is a tutorial for it tx..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i mate,

good luck
    Thanks a gazillion, worked like a charm, had been bothering me for about a month.

Thanks. Unfortunately i thought i backed up my .png file in /tmp but a reboot removed all those anyhow that was my mistake, didnt realise the system clears the tmp directory up after a reboot, thought it would be just like regular linux.

anyhow problem is solved, i can always reinstall cydia and get back almost everything i need.

Thanks again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beva922 View Post
    Try navigating to->>>/private/var/stash/Applications.mHoVWr/Cydia.app/Sources
    >Then delete the source you added...that's all I can give you...its really a crap shoot

Oh wait...never mind I didn't realize your failed attempt at a re-install sorry
    Added a source I was trying to remove manually. Will try looking here.. exactly what I was looking for.

edit: Not at all what I was looking for. This is just a bunch of PNG files for the various repos that are legitimately installed. Did you even check here before posting? Fail. Will try suggestion from a couple posts down.
    Last edited by reanimationxp; 02-06-2009 at 09:30 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ive tried almost all these methods with putty and i keep getting an error when i type apt-get remove cydia i have no experience in terminals at all i even try entering it in my iphones terminal with no luck i've tried the other ways that was listed by pooba but they come up as commant not found can somebody please help me i dont wanna rehack the phone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i mate,

good luck
    Is this also the solution for the following problem:
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/cydia-s...data-help.html