Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: cydia-phobia

Thumbs down cydia-phobia
    I dunno about all of you guys, but cydia has forced me to restore 4 times in 2 days now. frankly im scared to use the damn thing.

What happens is i install a few things last time it was quake then i press the button on the bottom that says close window, first it looked like my initernet just kept downloading something then the middle pending icon appeared and started going in circles, home button stopped responding.

I sat and waited and waited and waited, for about a half hour. It just froze. i finally rebooted it holding both buttons down and it just got stuck at the boot screen.

so this time i'm too scared to use cydia, am i being too paranoid?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboyfromhell4 For This Useful Post:

jor8064 (10-07-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone cockyjeremy's Avatar
    Thanks

That's definitely weird. I've downloaded many things.. sliders, apps, games, etc from Cydia and i've had no problems at all.

I've not had that kind of problem either. Cydia has once 'stopped' during a download (or so it seemed), then the phone went to sleep, and I ended up having to reboot, but not restore. It finished the download the next time I opened Cydia (IIRC).

I've had this happen several times on the App Store just today, even when the phone didn't sleep. The download would hang at the end, once it rebooted on it's own, the other time I was able to turn it off and back on. In both cases, the download resumed.

i guess im just vewy unwucky

I never did use cydia after going to 2.0 with my 1st gen phone. Is there an easy way to remove it without doing the pwnage thing again?

I'm quite happy with the appstore free apps.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bleeditout2130's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cockyjeremy View Post
    That's definitely weird. I've downloaded many things.. sliders, apps, games, etc from Cydia and i've had no problems at all.
    Same here...

The one way to possibly save your phone when that happens is to SSH in and see if you can remove the program you were installing and reboot from there.

This saved me a few times with an app from Installer on my old phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboyfromhell4 View Post
    I dunno about all of you guys, but cydia has forced me to restore 4 times in 2 days now. frankly im scared to use the damn thing.

What happens is i install a few things last time it was quake then i press the button on the bottom that says close window, first it looked like my initernet just kept downloading something then the middle pending icon appeared and started going in circles, home button stopped responding.

I sat and waited and waited and waited, for about a half hour. It just froze. i finally rebooted it holding both buttons down and it just got stuck at the boot screen.

so this time i'm too scared to use cydia, am i being too paranoid?
    Yes it does stick to the boot screen for me too.

This happens way too much in Cydia. I will be removing it when Installer comes out.

BTW, you literally have to wait about 10 minutes but the phone will boot.

I have had the same problem. I'm on my 10th restore in about a week. I say F*** Cydia. The only way to get anything to install is to not have any AppStore apps installed. It works fine then. But as soon as you sync your apps and try to install something off of Cydia the phone turns into a big pile O' bricks. Can't wait till Installer comes out. Cydia can lick my bunghole.
    Peace out to the homeboys puffin on the hydro

LOL, wait for RipDev's installer. This one will be licking your holes very often.

I have the same cydia "fear" I just feel like I can't control any of it. It installs all sorts of things when you first run it. there isn't an easy way to uninstall. It seems to download faster than installer but installer just has such a better GUI and it will always be my choice for apps because i've never had a problem with it.

Been checking every 4 hours for installer 2.0/ hurry RiPDeV

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Same thing just happened to me. Installed Boss Tool, waited for 20 minutes..nothing, so I force restart...and stuck at Apple - time to restore AGAIN. Cydia is a huge f*ing piece. Worthless.

sorry for the bump, but i'm suffering from the same problems

Hope Cydia can fix them once and forall. Very anoying!

Hello

to the guys, which had problem:
    how big was your partition and how much memory was left on the iphone befor the problem came up?

the same question to these guys which never had a problem? I asume it has to do something with one of these resons because I also had that problem several times in the past and it was gone after I increased the partion using for apps at the Pwnage tool and installed all cydia apps before I synced the iPhone.

Regards, Tommy