+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia didnt relocate files

is a discussion within the

Cydia Support

forums, a part of the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

section;
I just repwned my iPhone for the third time this week and for some reason Cydia didnt do the whole "reorganizing please wait". It has every other time but this
    iPhone? More like MyPhone mfleigle's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Cydia didnt relocate files
    I just repwned my iPhone for the third time this week and for some reason Cydia didnt do the whole "reorganizing please wait". It has every other time but this (I used winpwn this time as opposed to pwnagetool). So is there a package in cydia that I need to reinstall? I tried manually symbolic linking it but no luck.

EDIT manual instructions (this is exactly what bosstool did, and not the same as cydia) This is different than what cydia does since cydia puts the moved folders in stash with random characters after there names (I hated that) :

Here is to manually move apps, fonts, and ringtones:

From: applei.ph - Re:LOW disk space on my iphone - applei.ph FORUM

Copy paste each line in WinSCP or Terminal.
    Note: This will only work if you have a working BSD Subsystem installed on your iPhone.

To move Fonts:

cp -Rp /System/Library/Fonts /private/var/mobile/Library/
    mv /System/Library/Fonts /System/Library/Fonts.old
    ln -s /private/var/mobile/Library/Fonts /System/Library/Fonts
    rm -rf /System/Library/Fonts.old

To move Ringtones:

cp -Rp /Library/Ringtones /private/var/mobile/Library/
    mv /Library/Ringtones /Library/Ringtones.old
    ln -s /private/var/mobile/Library/Ringtones /Library/Ringtones
    rm -rf /Library/Ringtones.old

To move Applications:

cp -Rp /Applications /private/var/mobile/
    mv /Applications /Applications.old
    ln -s /private/var/mobile/Applications /Applications
    ln -s /private/var/mobile/Applications /private/var/root/
    rm -rf /Applications.old
    Last edited by mfleigle; 07-24-2008 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks

If you're referring to firmware 2.0, since you can assign whatever size you want to the root partition, there's no need to relocate anything.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I've had the same experience. On several phones, Cydia simply created the relocation and symlinks automatically, but for some reason, on the latest pwn I did, it hasn't done that. Of course I could simply do an advanced pwn, and resize the partition as Eurisko suggests, but I prefer the idea of the symlink, since it's hard to anticipate the app space I'll want.

It's easy enough to do the move manually and create the symlinks, but before I do, I'm curious as to what triggers the Cydia relocation. Anyone know?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yep, the same issue as mfleigle. Cydia no longer relocate apps directory after updating today. Please help.

Thanks

Were you guys aware that the /Applications directory is already symlinked by Apple?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Were you guys aware that the /Applications directory is already symlinked by Apple?
    Bossprefs says 0 mb out of 500mb free. So Apparrently not on mine, and is there a way to resize the partition in winpwn? My fake mac doesnt like pwnagetool 2.0

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Actually, 2.0 has two applications directories, the apps from App Store are installed at second partition, but system apps and Cydia apps are installed at 500MB partition.

Thanks

I looked in the firmware bundles for winpwn 2.0 and see where it tells the software to make the partition 500mb so I could probably change that to be 750 right? But why should I decrease my iPod partition (I already dont have enough space for all my music), when I could symlink only the space I need?

And PS can the partition be smaller than 500 for 2.0? Or is that the new Apple default. I know 1.0.0-1.1.4 was only 300.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The decrease in size for the Media partition is fairly minimal, if ~250MB of music makes the world of difference for you, perhaps you should make playlists with the most-wanted songs and have those sync to the phone. I'm able to fit what I actually listen to on my 16GB phone with room to spare for videos and all, I know for a fact I don't listen to every single track in my library.
    I came, I saw, I forgot what the hell I was there for.

Thanks

I updated my original post with work-around instructions, which I find better than Cydia's auto-reorganization. I did reboot in between moving fonts, apps, and ringtones. And now have 150 mb free (which is more than I had before I restored and cydia HAD moved crap)
    Last edited by mfleigle; 07-24-2008 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by felixwoo View Post
    Actually, 2.0 has two applications directories, the apps from App Store are installed at second partition, but system apps and Cydia apps are installed at 500MB partition.
    Ya, that's why I said /Applications and not /var/private/mobile/Applications

Thanks

This morning Cydia had an update that automatically did the relocation on the 1 phone that hadn't worked previously. Apparently, it was a bug that's just been corrected.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    This morning Cydia had an update that automatically did the relocation on the 1 phone that hadn't worked previously. Apparently, it was a bug that's just been corrected.
    Yeah I just opened cydia and it said re-organizing, but it didnt move much. I only have 51mb free. I had to restore last night (Appstore corrupted my springboard.plist and I was stuck at the boot screen with no SWOD)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mfleigle View Post
    Yeah I just opened cydia and it said re-organizing, but it didnt move much. I only have 51mb free. I had to restore last night (Appstore corrupted my springboard.plist and I was stuck at the boot screen with no SWOD)
    51MB free about right. What it does is to symlink the root Applications folder to the other partition, so that when you add new apps they won't eat into that free space. Go ahead and add an app or 3, and you shouldn't see that 51MB free space change at all.