Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: installed programs dont show up

Default installed programs dont show up
    I have noticed that when I install a program via Cydia the programs dont show up as icons.. Is that normal is there another way to launch them now? Is this something someone knows about? They show up in the modify section. I only have my main screen with icons and 4 extra ones on the 2nd screen.. Any suggestions?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Try rebooting your iphone. Ie, restarting the homescreen.

just did held down power+home and reset 2 times.. still no icons..

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

What version firmware are you using? If its 2.0, ALOT of the apps DONT work for 2.0 yet.

1.1.4 it installed some apps but then it stopped showthing the icons.. i looked with poof! and it doesnt show them there either

Only app I have installed was Make it mine. Showed up after a reboot and works fine.

Which application(s) are you talking about? Most don't have icons.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Again, please confirm your current firmware and the exact programs you're trying to install.

Please explain this to me: I have successfully jailbroken my 2G, 2.0 apple unlocked phone. I have downloaded Cythia. I have installed and tried ssh - works fine. However, under the Manage command, is says I have a whole pile of applications installed. Under Install it lists a huge amount of apps.

It is, from organization point a nightmare for me to figure out what is what. Is there a doc somewhere which would show me what my system should look like after installing Cythia? What I can and cannot delete?

For the most part, it's going to look exactly like it did before you installed cydia. very few of the installed packages have icons.

for example, the ssh server. it's running in the background, unless you shut it down manually. the proxy must be started manually from a terminal session (free internet on your laptop, anyone?). the x applications run, but you have to display them on another machine (remote desktop for windows, LOL). many of the things installed are command line programs or libraries.

if you want to know what the individual packages are, you'll have to google each one.

i think people are expecting something out of cydia that it, at this point in time, cannot deliver, simply because many of the apps people are used to haven't been ported.

Quote Originally Posted by iLanny View Post
    Please explain this to me: I have successfully jailbroken my 2G, 2.0 apple unlocked phone. I have downloaded Cythia. I have installed and tried ssh - works fine. However, under the Manage command, is says I have a whole pile of applications installed. Under Install it lists a huge amount of apps.

It is, from organization point a nightmare for me to figure out what is what. Is there a doc somewhere which would show me what my system should look like after installing Cythia? What I can and cannot delete?
    Last edited by vinividiiphone; 07-27-2008 at 01:55 AM.

ok, thanks. i would like to put some sanity into what is on my iPhone. the newer release of cydia does look much better. i would like to know, which of the stuff cydia installed i can delete. i am only interested in ssh(d) and basic unix - I'd like to loose the development stuff but am afraid that I might break something.