Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Vs Installer

Default Cydia Vs Installer
    Wich one should I use i already am using installer but Cydia seems cool from what i've heard

what do u prefer?
    Latest Sig

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

You can read all about Cydia here: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/news/39...cydia-out.html

The quick answer: Both are good. There are many programs that are only available via Installer though so it's a good idea to have both.

i use installer. for the non-devs out there i dont see the point in cyndia, it has no ability to easily add sources on the go so its limited to whats up there already, not cool. installer has WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy more stuff on it so untill cydia catches up i dont need it. no point in having both especially if you have to use installer to get cyndia LOL, defeats the point. but if you jailbreak and it comes with it then why not keep it

Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    i use installer. for the non-devs out there i dont see the point in cyndia, it has no ability to easily add sources on the go so its limited to whats up there already, not cool. installer has WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy more stuff on it so untill cydia catches up i dont need it. no point in having both especially if you have to use installer to get cyndia LOL, defeats the point. but if you jailbreak and it comes with it then why not keep it
    Yeah, what he said.

Can it be, that I have cydia and not installer?
    I thought you needed installer to get cydia on the phone, but I only see and have the cydia icon?

This thread has already been posted.!!!

A link or a quick answer would've helped a newbie like me more!

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

first one!!! yes
    want installer tho

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    want installer tho
    Why? I'd love to see a well thought out "top 5 reasons" as to why Installer is even neccessary on 2.0
    Cydia is everthing Installer is and more and already works on 2.0 so why the desire to have Installer on 2.0? Your 1.1.4 apps won't work just because Installer is on there...

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to gothi For This Useful Post:

Broomhead (07-20-2008), canook2008 (08-01-2008), innovaciones (07-22-2008), kcrmson (07-22-2008), MattMac (07-21-2008), moppsy (07-20-2008), neondragon (07-20-2008), Numberzz (07-20-2008), PrplHaz4 (07-20-2008), stlcaddie (07-22-2008)

I would love installer too. By the way, I'm typing this from my 3G iPhone jailbroken using windows vista :] I'm on the AT&T network, fyi..

Windows Vista? What are you talking about?

As to the other post, I agree. Cydia is the EXACT same as Installer, and to me, it has more features and feels more stable. I think its fine, no need for Installer here
    i LOVE apple.

Same here !!

Quote Originally Posted by f3nd3rmus1c View Post
    I would love installer too. By the way, I'm typing this from my 3G iPhone jailbroken using windows vista :] I'm on the AT&T network, fyi..
    How did you do that?

I want:
    Agile messenger
    installer
    Nes emulator
    GBA emulator
    Bosstools
    ect...

if anyone can get Agile Messenger that would make my day

Quote Originally Posted by zerobrand View Post
    if anyone can get Agile Messenger that would make my day
    Amen to that

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbuster View Post
    How did you do that?

I want:
    Agile messenger
    installer
    Nes emulator
    GBA emulator
    Bosstools
    ect...
    well NES is there already

@ wannagotopopeyes:

sorry if i was vague, i meant i WAS typing the response on my 3G iphone, and that the 3G iPhone was jailbroken using my windows vista PC. not any shennanigans like my 3G iphone would be running apple vista or some sh*t like that :P my apologies.

and, for windows users who have a 3G iphone on AT&T (since it can't be unlocked yet), if you just follow these directions to jailbreak/activate(but again, i'm making it clear it won't unlock for other carriers)... then you're golden!
    Last edited by f3nd3rmus1c; 07-20-2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: i can't spell... :X

I changed the permissions on Cydia on my newly pwned 2.0 iphone to 777 admin root and now it doesnt work. Any Ideas. I changed it back to 755 and it still didnt work

UPDATE:
    All these files inside Cydia.app need to be 6755 permission admin:root
    Cydia
    Cydia_
    Test

and Cydia.app is 755 Admin:root

Hope this helps anyone else having issues
    Last edited by joejoe123; 07-20-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Cydia is more than ugly. Absolutly Un-Apple.

Yes, seriously I hope Nullriver updates Installer.app soon! This is the only thing that is keeping me from Jailbreaking right now. I've never been a fan of Cydia it always seemed to not work as well as Installer.app and yea I think we all know the 1.1.4 apps aren't going to run. I mean I know it pretty much has all the same sources and apps as Installer but not a fan. Another thing is Cydia has a pretty horrible UI compared to Installer.app.

Boo to Cydia haha.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast