Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Vs Installer

Default How?!?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by f3nd3rmus1c View Post
    I would love installer too. By the way, I'm typing this from my 3G iPhone jailbroken using windows vista :] I'm on the AT&T network, fyi..
    howd u do it from vista?

Currently, the only feature that Cydia is lacking compared to Installer is the ability to easily add sources. There are only a few Cydia sources at the moment, but I see the potential in allowing custom sources such as what iAppCat.com does for Installer by creating custom personalized sources. Adding sources is currently not finished being implemented in Cydia, but the plan is to have sources be administrated from the Settings application on your device.

Here is a pretty good explanation of why Saurik created Cydia and some of the problems with Installer:

Packaging Issues with AppTapp (Installer)
    Bringing Debian APT to the iPhone (Cydia)

I really like how refreshing sources in Cydia is very unobtrusive compared to waiting several minutes for sources to refresh in Installer (especially once you have added several sources).

I'm not a thief by any means, but curious. I wonder if it's possible to "share" paid for apps from the app store through a installer now.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDee View Post
    I am unable to install OPENSSH and various other apps, it doesn't even load for me OPENSSH...

What do I do?
    -Joey
    It's possible to preinstall the apps in the custom firmware created by Pwnagetool.

1. Switch to expert mode
    2. Select your hardware
    3. Select the firmware
    4. Open the Cydia Packages section
    5. Select "Download Packages" and hit the "Refresh" button
    6. Go to "Select Packages" to include those packages of interest in the firmware
    7. Build the custom image per instructions

Quote Originally Posted by Helnaw69 View Post
    I'm not a thief by any means, but curious. I wonder if it's possible to "share" paid for apps from the app store through a installer now.
    unlikely since they can only be installed from the PC that was authorized to download them. The application names seem have an encoded hash that's specific to your iTunes account.

Quote Originally Posted by jatatla View Post
    First of all full Thankxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx to TEAM DEV again for their tremendous "i-work", to me its a gr8 service to the i-community and also millions of thankxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    to MMI site for their excellent & timely TUTORIALS.Only thing I want to say here that unfortunately no one in any site or blog hv mentioned about that "WINDOW-USERS...Pl b ready ...its comming for u too .....but no body did that.....perhapes e-1 was so excited..........................................
    Still THANKX to all
    Please type in English next time... There has been lots of mention on MMi about windows users.
    Last edited by imode; 07-21-2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. The Following User Says Thank You to imode For This Useful Post:

KerryXEX (07-21-2008)

Cydia rocks. Thanks to Saurik...very well thought of to release a version compatible to 2.0 quickly.

Anyone have any idea when summerboard is coming out for iphone 3g 2.0?

yes it works. I have jailbrake my phone with windows vista hahahah sorry if this don't belong but I had to say it now I have to learn how to use Cydia

Quote Originally Posted by imode69 View Post
    It's possible to preinstall the apps in the custom firmware created by Pwnagetool.

1. Switch to expert mode
    2. Select your hardware
    3. Select the firmware
    4. Open the Cydia Packages section
    5. Select "Download Packages" and hit the "Refresh" button
    6. Go to "Select Packages" to include those packages of interest in the firmware
    7. Build the custom image per instructions

Ah perfect... but which packages or options should I choose to add? Which are the essentials and are good?

http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/4/3/20/f_neweststsm_cb09d96.jpg

so is there a list of apps so far that do work on 2.0? I'm scared to download anything.
    PPC iMac 20" 1.8ghz 1.25GB RAM

heads up, I used the thread the below to use pwnage on my hp vsita laptop to update to 2.0 and have found if you download more than one battery package from cydia an error occurs and now I have no battery at all! im sure theres a workaround somewhere, anyone know?

Hack Attack : Dual Boot Leopard and Windows Vista | dailyApps

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Does the Jailbroken 2.0 firmware check the DRM of applications from the AppStore? Like can we SSH Apps with a DRM and use them freely on the jailbroken phone?

Agile Messenger, Converter and rRootage. That's all I need.

I hope someone can make an app that makes the GPS more useful...when I'm driving I can't exactly be staring at my iphone to see where I am and where I'm going. Otherwise I might wonder why the iPhone is telling me I'm driving right into a field...

But other than that I'm amazed at how nice these developers are to just give their hard work away when they could easily charge for it like everone else...big thanks to them.

last.fm application that actually scrobblers from the device via wifi and Cellular internet

Thanks

Cydia is just as easy to get around as Installer. True, its not as pretty as Installer, but its the functionality that matters.

I am VERY happy with my upgrade! 2.0 jailbroken AND unlocked iPhone running on TMobile USA with full Edge connectivity....now all I need is Customize to get my theme back in order

I love Cydia.

So folks.

I know i've annoyed everyone here =

So what should i do? I need to access OPENSSH but Im unable to do so because it's not installed in my CYDIA, so what to do next?

My question is - if I use the PWNAGE TOOL and build apps, will it reformat the 2.0 firmware to scratch? Or, is there an option where i can add a source in which can be the openssh?

Let me know plz cuz i wanna fix this issue.
    -Joey
    http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/4/3/20/f_neweststsm_cb09d96.jpg

@ babyjtrunks:

if you haven't figured it out yet, go to:

Jailbreaking your iPhone 3G on Windows - Hacking - iPhone - Whirlpool Broadband Forums

if you want to do it from your vista or xp machine.

what it really does is give you the custom firmware premade so all you have to do is load it on... the trick is to make sure you put the x12220000_4_Recovery.ipsw in the right place (explain in the link) so that you don't get any "error 6000"s...

good luck :]

So Cydia is the new installer? I knew this would happened when the 2.0 firmware came out. This was my secret predictions [; cuhs I already knew before the iPhone 3G came out it was gonna have some trouble with the installer and cydia cuhs the iPhone 3G is advanced and new with something much different than the iPhone 1st Generation.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

well now its the sitting and wiating game. and im glad to wait, im not sure if i will put installer on my phone, the programs are getting alittle bunched. i mean 4 stores on your phone. itunes, app, cydia, and installer is a bit over kill. im not sure what i will do. cant wait to see what people can do with 2.0. thank you devs for everything you have done, and everything you will do in the furture. hopefully (im reading zadarksies book now) i will be able to join you all
    iTouch 2.0 (free update/pwn'd)
    iPhone 3G white (pwn'd)
    MacBook Pro 15inch (using tethered)

2 broken wrists so give me a break. no more 2007 Yamaha r6

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast