+ Reply
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Vs Installer

is a discussion within the

Cydia Support

forums, a part of the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

section;
I really don't get how some of you people are saying cydia is "complicated". You scroll through the different sections or search, then press "install" and after it's done, you
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I really don't get how some of you people are saying cydia is "complicated".

You scroll through the different sections or search, then press "install" and after it's done, you hit "close window". omg i'm genius ***orz!

Installer would have to "update sources" foreeevverrrrrr before i ever got to use it, cydia doesn't have this problem.

Also, I don't believe installer had any of the terminal/networking packages that cydia has.

My only problem with 2.0 is that randomly ( i mean sometimes 4 hours, sometimes 30 minutes) it'll restart by itself. I'm texting/gaming and then the screen flashes to the pineapple and restarts.

Is anyone else getting this bug or is it just my phone?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just upgraded to 2.0 and cydia not working. How to change permission mentioned in page 1 in this thread?
    Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Are there any services such as iappcat.com for Cydia? Is it even possible to have a service like iappcat.com for Cydia? Made it so simple for me to share my app selections with friends and keep mine easy to re-install.

Green Apple
    Thanks

cydia pwns.

especially once more apps get ported to 2.0

Green Apple
    Thanks

I used to use installer but I gave cydia a try and it's great you people who can't even try something or except change how do even survive in life nothings always easy or stays the same and cydia is here to stay so if u can't except change GTFO

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    first one!!! yes
    want installer tho
    seriously? please don't pull that "first post!" crap here...
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

The new FW 2.0 have a little bug that re-boot it self if you don't re-boot every 24 HR or so, and sometime if you are doing to much on the phone or have way to many apps. that will make it to re-boot too so apple have to fix that problem
    Last edited by DarkDragonAn; 07-20-2008 at 09:06 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Never had a strong desire to try Cydia much until now, but like it. It seems a lot smoother and quicker. Happy to have it as long as the devs choose to use Cydia, which with MMi's full support and Cydia the only way to get 3rd party apps (not sanctioned by Apple), then there's a good chance it'll happen.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

agile messegner would make my day too

Banned
    Thanks
    islsk is needed!!

Why would u want to unlock a 3g iPhone to tmobile if it doesn't support 3g?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I want Agile messenger too

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can't wait for Poof, Lexicon and TuneWiki
    Last edited by jasonisjericho; 07-20-2008 at 10:14 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

As long as were requesting/hoping for apps, I'll throw in my hopefulls for 2.0.

MobileScrobbler (I doubt cause last.fm already has an app store app and wouldn't want to get on apples bad side.)

Inteliscreen (Sounds like its on the way)

Summerboard and or customize (probably the only thing stopping me from the 2.0 switch)

And springdial (?????)

iPhone? More like MyPhone acaijr73's Avatar
    Thanks

Who cares how Cydia looks..... You have a group of people working their tails off providing you with FREE software regardless of what it is and people goin B*TCH about how it looks... U should be sayn THANK YOU cuz if they stopped or didnt do it at all where would everybody on this site or any of the iphone sites be..... SOL......

Thank you MMI and all DEVs for doin wa your doing...........
    1) 16Gig 1ST GEN IPHONES 3.0 Unlkd /PWND/BNeutered

1) 16Gig 3G IPHONE BLK PWND, 3.1.2 F/Unlkd

1) 32Gig 3G(s) IPHONE 3.1.2 F/Unlockd/Blackra1nd

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I installed Cydia on my 1.1.4 iPhone. I thought it looked ok, not really much different from Installer.app so I don't really understand the flaming that it has caused.

Anyhoo, Here's my wish list for 2.0:

GPsPhone
    BossTool
    VNC
    PhoneZap
    Australian Carrier logo and phone number format support (A must for me!!!)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by acaijr73 View Post
    Who cares how Cydia looks..... You have a group of people working their tails off providing you with FREE software regardless of what it is and people goin B*TCH about how it looks... U should be sayn THANK YOU cuz if they stopped or didnt do it at all where would everybody on this site or any of the iphone sites be..... SOL......

Thank you MMI and all DEVs for doin wa your doing...........
    Have the feeling this will all be moot in 6 months when people fully embrace the app store... why?

1. Quality of the apps is already much better than what was available from Installer sources.
    2. Ratings feedback on App Store to push the crap to side-lines will keep apps relevant and usefull (iBurpz anyone??)
    3. Would rather pay $5-10 for quality than nothing for a POS
    2. Official SDK is much easier to develop quality apps especially since I've got Interface builder and a simulator (not to mention a remote debugger that works)
    3. Getting things built with llvm toolchain is a pain and also stuck with an out of date gcc (same could be said for xcode though).
    4. Points 2&3 mean as a dev I'd rather target stuff for the AppStore because it's 10x easier.
    4. I can distribute my app in App Store for free (sans my $99) then later charge for it if people like it plus get rating feedback. We can't all be hermits like Richard Stallman.

That being said there will always be a place for Installer/Cydia since Apple seems reluctant to expose OS internals in the SDK. That is, I'll still need to turn to Installer to get: BSD, JAVA, IM, MMS etc. I do believe that the heyday (1 whole year) of Installer/Cydia is passing though.

Quote Originally Posted by wazzosan View Post
    I installed Cydia on my 1.1.4 iPhone. I thought it looked ok, not really much different from Installer.app so I don't really understand the flaming that it has caused.

Anyhoo, Here's my wish list for 2.0:

GPsPhone
    BossTool
    VNC
    PhoneZap
    Australian Carrier logo and phone number format support (A must for me!!!)
    Dude, this thread is about Cydia on firmware 2.0. Providing a wishlist isn't going to make things go faster. It's up to the person who wrote the app. Why don't you send him/her and email and ask when they'll get around to porting your favourite app??

Also if you upgrade to 2.0 you won't need to worry about Aus carrier support.
    Last edited by imode; 07-20-2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well its good to hear about the Aus carrier support. That's one more tick on my list

I totally understand that I won't speed anything up by posting a wish list. However, I haven't upgraded to 2.0 just yet as I wanted to make sure that all of my critical apps/features/hacks were covered (and yes, I could probably live without GPSphone but it sure does make my 1 hour bus ride to work bearable!).

One of the things that I love about the iPhone is the fact that is uses a very linux-esque package manager. I also love the fact that you can mess around with the file system. I figure that I have bought the device and don't need to be told what i can and can't see or use. I think you make a very good point about Installer/Cydia offering apps that go against the agreement for SDK development such as BSD subsystem, SSH etc...but also stuff like SIP clients. I am looking forward to seeing more like this, I don't know if anything like that is available via the app store.

iPhone? More like MyPhone JoeyDee's Avatar
    Thanks

I am unable to install OPENSSH and various other apps, it doesn't even load for me OPENSSH...

What do I do?
    -Joey
    http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/4/3/20/f_neweststsm_cb09d96.jpg

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Thankx
    First of all full Thankxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx to TEAM DEV again for their tremendous "i-work", to me its a gr8 service to the i-community and also millions of thankxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    to MMI site for their excellent & timely TUTORIALS.Only thing I want to say here that unfortunately no one in any site or blog hv mentioned about that "WINDOW-USERS...Pl b ready ...its comming for u too .....but no body did that.....perhapes e-1 was so excited..........................................
    Still THANKX to all

My iPhone is a Part of Me MattMac's Avatar
    Thanks

Woo. Cydia for the win!
    xD
    Well done saurik, your a legend!
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP