+ Reply
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Vs Installer

is a discussion within the

Cydia Support

forums, a part of the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

section;
with cydia you CANNOT add sources....end of discussion
    Green Apple
    Thanks

with cydia you CANNOT add sources....end of discussion

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gothi View Post
    Why? I'd love to see a well thought out "top 5 reasons" as to why Installer is even neccessary on 2.0
    Cydia is everthing Installer is and more and already works on 2.0 so why the desire to have Installer on 2.0? Your 1.1.4 apps won't work just because Installer is on there...
    1. competion is healthy. If there were two choices, there would more desire on each side to make theirs the best.

2. Cydia is new to most end users who are not developers.

3. Until recently, developers never even considered using Cydia for the apps most end users want.

4. I don't know how well Cydia can control sources. I do know about Installer.

5. Cydia is looking more like installer. Hmmm?

Okay, that's my top 5 on why Installer should even be necessary. You don't have to buy into it if you don't like it. I understand that the apps people are crying about won't work on 2.0 regardless of the choice.

Is Cydia more stable as some say? I don't know. I know Installer has historically been very stable for me. Will it still be stable when a million noobs are pushing buttons wanting something for nothing? Remember pwn 2.0 was supposed to be Granny Simple. Knowledge is power and most Cydia users to date knew what they were doing.

I don't think it is fair to compare the future of Cydia versus the present Installer. Sure Cydia has plans for the future. So does Installer.

Will Cydia still be attractive to developers if it's cluttered with ants and lights and other useless time waster we love so much.?

Wouldn't it be better to promote Cydia and encourage usage rather than trash installer?

Sorry if this post has too much thought into it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Another vote for Installer. It never worked for me before and after upgrading to 2.0 now I've realized that I should have waited for Installer.

The entire process of installing / unlocking 2.0 went smoothly until I started running Cydia. It locked up the phone twice and hung several times within 20 minutes of usage.

I think Saurik hurried it to capture the lost market that it can't win if Null River releases a stable version of Installer before most common apps are ported.

Edit: Meant Installer, not Cydia.
    Last edited by rexian; 07-20-2008 at 07:14 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rexian View Post
    Another vote for Cydia. It never worked for me before and after upgrading to 2.0 now I've realized that I should have waited for Installer.

The entire process of installing / unlocking 2.0 went smoothly until I started running Cydia. It locked up the phone several times and hung the phone twice within 20 minutes of usage.

I think Saurik hurried it to capture the lost market that it can't win if Null River releases a stable version of Installer before most common apps are ported.
    I agree, stability has been an issue that's starting to piss me off. Three times already I've had to ssh into my phone and bounce springboard or issue a reboot command (yes I know holding home/power buttons will hard reboot but I like doing it the hard way ) I assume it's related to the cydia servers getting pegged and other random timeouts but I need to use my phone...
    Last edited by imode; 07-20-2008 at 06:16 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    I love Cydia too. In fact the only reason I also kept installer is because some of the apps I like still are not hosted on Cydia. The last time I restored my phone I used Cydia to move my apps (does so automatically) and installed as many of the third party apps as I could from it. The rest from Installer. More and more apps have been made available on Cydia since the first time I looked at it. I agree that it would be very nice to be able to add and edit sources on Cydia but I imagine that will eventually come.

I happen to prefer the UI of Cydia. As far as appearance, not much difference between the two.

Not only id PF right about people just wanting apps, I also think people get comfortable with doing things a certain way. Installer was first, we all got used to it. The first time I installed Cydia, I did so mainly to have it install a more stable BSD Subsystem and move my apps. There weren't many apps that I personally used available on its repos. I was forced to restore my phone about a week ago and just about everything I wanted was available on Cydia. Once the devs port the apps to 2.0 this will not be much of an issue.

I remember when firmware went to 1.1.3 and we had all the app issues some of us were able to get the apps working by SSH'ing the permissions or figuring out that things were in /mobile/Library as opposed to /root/Library. The packages on Installer and Cydia were eventually upgraded for the most part.

If someone like me can figure it out, so can the rest of you.

FWIW, I havent upgraded to 2.0 or bought a 3G yet for the main reason my 1.1.4 is tweaked to perfection and I am waiting for apps to be either tweakable or available in working condition installation. Frankly, what I am waiting for is Customize and or Summerboard. I know a 2.0 compatible Customize is being worked on however, to be honest, if I have some time I just may do the upgrade to 2.0 and see if I can find the png locaitons and manually install my skins and see if I can tweak any of my old apps to work.

Complaining is not productive. If you cannot control something learn to live with it, if you can control something, do something to fix it.
    You r the man!!!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Cydia's servers have been overwhelmed today, and apptapp.saurik.com (saurik's repo) has been responding slowly or timing out. He should be back soon to fix the issue. No worries...

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

What I don't get is why some of these apps and or methods work perfectly for some and don't for others. "Someone" must be doing something incorrectly whether its interpreting directions correctly, skipping a step somewhere, or whatever.

My observation is that most of the directions are fairly clearcut but often some things that are pretty obvious to a more knowledgeable soul are not always spelled out. This is where noobs can get in trouble I think.

Its like when I gave my father in law an old pc. he asked me to write up directions on how to use it. he was still "lost". I hadnt intended to have to explain things like "click" ,"point to", "highlight", "double click" was a tough one. It was extremely difficult for me to think out every obvious step to instruct him. Now most of us dont need that level of direction but its just an example.

imode69 said it best- read and research first, learn the terminology at the least, that will go along way to making things go right. Learn which tools will work with your setup. Read, read read!

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Green Apple
    Thanks

nes works on 2.0!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    I'm just waiting for AM, poof, summerboard, books, gameboy4iphone, and instinctiv. What I want to know is, is how different the 2.0 structure is compared to 1.1.4 and back.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    nice :] I'm getting kinda used to cydia as well... Just

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hey has anyone been able to tether the iphones internet connection yet using any of the proxy server applications in cydia?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I am getting a wierd error POSIK: Operation Timed out, anyone know what this is and how to fix thanks
    ------------------------------

iPhone 4
    4.1 Firmware

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gotjpeg View Post
    I'm just waiting for AM, poof, summerboard, books, gameboy4iphone, and instinctiv. What I want to know is, is how different the 2.0 structure is compared to 1.1.4 and back.
    The frameworks are different enough that the app source code will in most cases need to be changed. Certainly it will need to be recompiled and tested against 2.0. Another difficulty is that a new toolchain needs to be compiled against gcc-llvm

My guess is that it'll be another 2-3 weeks before the apps start to reappear for 2.0. Also, it's up to the author as to when they get around to doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by dallasnights View Post
    I am getting a wierd error POSIK: Operation Timed out, anyone know what this is and how to fix thanks
    Can only wait... I would say it's caused by the source repo servers getting hosed from everyone suddenly using Cydia. It's a load issue that I'm sure is being looked at.
    Last edited by imode; 07-20-2008 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

what are some good cydia sources?
    R.I.P - 8GB iPhone - Pwnd - 1.1.4 - T-MobileUSA
    R.I.P 3G- iPhone - All sorts of H4x0r'd
    32gb 3Gs - 3.1.2 Unlocked - AT&T

MacBook (White Uni) - 2.24 - 4GB - 250GB - 10.6.4
    MacBook Pro - 2.0GHz-4GB-320GB - 10.6.1
    MacBook(Aluminum Edish)-2.4GHz-250GB - 10.5.5
    MacBook Air - 1.6 - 80GB -10.5.2 - Lovin' It
    MacBook Pro - 1.83 - 80GB - 10.4.11
    12' PowerBook G4 - 1.5 - 120GB - 10.4.11

Been Cockin' Rockin' and iPhone Unlockin' since v1.0.2.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    What I don't get is why some of these apps and or methods work perfectly for some and don't for others. "Someone" must be doing something incorrectly whether its interpreting directions correctly, skipping a step somewhere, or whatever.

My observation is that most of the directions are fairly clearcut but often some things that are pretty obvious to a more knowledgeable soul are not always spelled out. This is where noobs can get in trouble I think.
    Right on! I'm a developer with 20+ years of experience and sometimes I'll screw something up because I simply forgot a step or didn't read carefully enough. Don't think I've ever run into instructions for unlock that I had to think outside the box. Just follow the exact steps and it works. However, if I make a mistake or something goes wrong I simply take a deep breath and start over. I don't immediately go posting messages like "help I bricked my iphone". Also, I usually wait about 2-3 days after somethings been announced to spend the time absorbing every issue that may arise. I just love it when a noob will try something immediately after it's been released and then scream that he can't understand it or cries when the phone is bricked.
    Last edited by imode; 07-20-2008 at 07:38 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

are you people serious?

1. cydia refreshes sources in the background, not with an annoying status bar that takes forever and blocks you from using the app until it is finished.
    2. cydia is layed out better, MUCH prettier than ugly installer, and is more organized
    3. cydia allows you to search for applications based on name and/or description
    4. cydia is already 2.0 capable
    5. cydia is developed by saurik himself, a member of the dev team who allowed you to unlock 2.0 in the first place

It doesn't matter if you don't agree with me; the dev team has decided cydia will take over and i will continue to enjoy it's advanced interface while all you installer-lovers whine and cry over 'change'.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to skatertrash For This Useful Post:

heath_rox (07-22-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone fletch33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinger7476 View Post
    Hey has anyone been able to tether the iphones internet connection yet using any of the proxy server applications in cydia?
    here ya go.

ive tested it and it works great.
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to fletch33 For This Useful Post:

Jazz2k8 (07-20-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skatertrash View Post
    are you people serious?

1. cydia refreshes sources in the background, not with an annoying status bar that takes forever and blocks you from using the app until it is finished.
    2. cydia is layed out better, MUCH prettier than ugly installer, and is more organized
    3. cydia allows you to search for applications based on name and/or description
    4. cydia is already 2.0 capable
    5. cydia is developed by saurik himself, a member of the dev team who allowed you to unlock 2.0 in the first place

It doesn't matter if you don't agree with me; the dev team has decided cydia will take over and i will continue to enjoy it's advanced interface while all you installer-lovers whine and cry over 'change'.
    oh snap, this guy lives less than 30 mins from me! Who makes Summerboard?? That's the only thing I want my jailbroken iPhone 3G for. a freaking wallpaper. I hope it gets recompiled soon enough!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mkozak View Post
    what are some good cydia sources?
    You're thinking of it wrong - there are essentially NO APPS FOR 2.0 YET. There is a half dozen or so that have been ported to work with the new firmware (MobileTerminal, NES, Erica Utilities), but for the most part, devs have to tweak and re-code their apps first, and THEN you will see the apps appear in Cydia.

You don't need to add sources - you just need to wait for the devs to get their apps 2.0 compliant and posted up to Cydia.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Banned
    Thanks

Installer is easy and more user friendly, Cydia is ugly and complicated. I dont like it but its needed for some installs.

I went back to 1.4 last night as 2.0 doesnt have any gprs/edge options and its not as friendly as 1.4. Maybe in a few weeks/months when all the apps are ported over then it might be better, till then I'm sticking with 1.4 and all the goodies