+ Reply
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Vs Installer

is a discussion within the

Cydia Support

forums, a part of the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

section;
I agree.. cydia is ugly.. But the fact of the matter is that I'm just more comfortable with installer.. Plus, simple things like adding and removing sources is way too
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    I agree.. cydia is ugly.. But the fact of the matter is that I'm just more comfortable with installer.. Plus, simple things like adding and removing sources is way too difficult on cydia.. :X unless, I really don't know how to use it?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Cydia is a far superior app to Installer, in backend support, stability, and pretty much every other way.

You guys aren't thinking you like Installer better, just that you like apps. Cydia is the only current 2.0 package manager, and devs are fast upgrading their apps to work on 2.0 - and Cydia is where you'll get those.

I, for one, love Cydia.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

KerryXEX (07-21-2008), lightmaster (07-22-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So are you saying none of these Apps that your Source is hsting will be able to run on Installer 4.0?

Green Apple
    Thanks

why are you guys arguing over preferences? I'm just hoping the apps aren't hard to migrate to 2.0.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Of course I'm not saying that. I'm saying who knows when Installer 4.0 will be released, but Cydia is here and now.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    Of course I'm not saying that. I'm saying who knows when Installer 4.0 will be released, but Cydia is here and now.
    Ohhh man you scared me for a minute! I was like oh no now there picking sides or something haha.

Installer.app should be on it's way soon according to this article

Nullriver to continue development of Installer.app; new info on version 4.0 - Apple News - QJ.NET

and it sounds like they match Cydia on a few things. Hope it's out soon?

Thanks

I love Cydia too. In fact the only reason I also kept installer is because some of the apps I like still are not hosted on Cydia. The last time I restored my phone I used Cydia to move my apps (does so automatically) and installed as many of the third party apps as I could from it. The rest from Installer. More and more apps have been made available on Cydia since the first time I looked at it. I agree that it would be very nice to be able to add and edit sources on Cydia but I imagine that will eventually come.

I happen to prefer the UI of Cydia. As far as appearance, not much difference between the two.

Not only id PF right about people just wanting apps, I also think people get comfortable with doing things a certain way. Installer was first, we all got used to it. The first time I installed Cydia, I did so mainly to have it install a more stable BSD Subsystem and move my apps. There weren't many apps that I personally used available on its repos. I was forced to restore my phone about a week ago and just about everything I wanted was available on Cydia. Once the devs port the apps to 2.0 this will not be much of an issue.

I remember when firmware went to 1.1.3 and we had all the app issues some of us were able to get the apps working by SSH'ing the permissions or figuring out that things were in /mobile/Library as opposed to /root/Library. The packages on Installer and Cydia were eventually upgraded for the most part.

If someone like me can figure it out, so can the rest of you.

FWIW, I havent upgraded to 2.0 or bought a 3G yet for the main reason my 1.1.4 is tweaked to perfection and I am waiting for apps to be either tweakable or available in working condition installation. Frankly, what I am waiting for is Customize and or Summerboard. I know a 2.0 compatible Customize is being worked on however, to be honest, if I have some time I just may do the upgrade to 2.0 and see if I can find the png locaitons and manually install my skins and see if I can tweak any of my old apps to work.

Complaining is not productive. If you cannot control something learn to live with it, if you can control something, do something to fix it.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

boonchutan (07-20-2008)

Thanks

i like the installer because u can add sources why cant cydia do that??
    AJ

Music is what feelings sound like....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

please mxtube now that would make my life

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have both Cydia and installer on my iphone (1.1.4). But, I have noticed that installer has more apps than cydia (probably due to more sources). Also, I am not sure how to add more sources to cydia, other than through updating the prepackaged repositories. Installer has the option of adding individual source. However, I don't have a preference for either one. My only concern is the availability of apps.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Has anyone even looked at Cydia lately? I looks like very user friendly to me. Not sure what people are talking about. And the person says that you can't add sources, i know you haven't looked at Cydia lately.

I think people don't like cydia because of all the weird developer things on there. Make it look very ugly cause you can't understand half of the junk that's up there. the majority of stuff that was up there to install was unintelligible to me. (probably cause i lack the intelligence to comprehend it all). But if regular apps started showing up i don't see any reason i would use it.

Am i missing something here?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbuster View Post
    Amen to that
    And another amen from me...AM is leaps and bounds ahead of Apollo and MobileChat.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    @ cartman13:

you probably aren't missing anything, as it was a bit ignorant of me to assume things about cydia.

i dont tend to stay in my comfort zone when it comes to technology, i love exploring, but cydia just hasn't done it for me. it's clearly my fault, as i have yet to figure out how to use it correctly.

you, along with other posters, are absolutely right in focusing on the fact that we should be looking forward to the porting of the apps into 2.0 rather than the we're directed to them.

i can't wait until the community builds up again, on 2.0 :]

Thanks

Not much to do to use Cydia correctly. Highlight an app, press install, just like Installer. ANy upgrades or changes to your installed apps will show up under "Changes" with an option to "upgrade". Uninstalling apps can be done under "Manage Apps".

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm an idiot noob who can't get this pwnage to work on my pc, how did you do it? Can you help? I've got windows xp not a mac.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Exactly, really don't care whether it's Installer or Cydia since they are really just specialized app servers. The apps themselves are compiled against the iPhone frameworks and are quite independent of was what server apps hosts them (i.e. doesn't matter if it's hosted by Installer or Cydia it's still the same app). In one year of owning an iPhone I have found only a 2 or 3 toolchain built apps that I frequently use. I'm finding the App Store a much better alternative to both especially since the quality of the apps are much higher and the sh**y ones will get pushed to the side by the review process. Oh, and really I don't mind paying if the app is worth having.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    vicdev, pwnage won't work on a pc. i used Jailbreaking your iPhone 3G on Windows - Apple iPhone - Mobile Phones - Whirlpool Broadband Forums which requires no pwnage...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to f3nd3rmus1c For This Useful Post:

Tizocman (07-20-2008)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vicdev View Post
    I'm an idiot noob who can't get this pwnage to work on my pc, how did you do it? Can you help? I've got windows xp not a mac.
    Yes... and also one who posts to the wrong thread. If you do even a bit of reading (like on the MMi front page) you'll realize that pwnage tool for Windows is not available for 2.0 firmware yet. You can download a pwnage customized firmware and use iTunes 7.7 to install it. But first you need to do the following:

1. do 1-2 days of reading/research before you post
    2. only post to relevant threads
    3. when you do post be more specific. Is it an iPhone or iPod Touch? Is your phone the original or 3G phone?
    Last edited by imode; 07-20-2008 at 05:48 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to imode For This Useful Post:

Tizocman (07-20-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I just can't wait for more apps..until then I don't see the point in jailbreaking.
    Especially since the PC method is more time consuming.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbplayer5's Avatar
    Thanks

Complaining about the looks of Cydia is like criticizing your grandmother for sending you a birthday check in a card that was pink. Get over it, you still got the money.