+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Deactivating my iPhone (AT&T)

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
So I recently sold my phone, and wa wondering. Can I simply remove my sim and restore my phone? My plan is to simply do that, use an older generation
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Default Deactivating my iPhone (AT&T)
    So I recently sold my phone, and wa wondering. Can I simply remove my sim and restore my phone? My plan is to simply do that, use an older generation phone by moving my SIM card onto it, then wait until the next iPhone come out and upgrade to that. Will that work or cause any problems? Do I need to call AT&T and deactivate my phone? What will that do? Will it completely remove my number from our plan? Or will it just unassociate my number with that specific iPhone?

Any help is welcome. Perhaps just tell me how you sold your AT&T phone and what you had to do. thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 15,203 Times in 6,978 Posts

Take your sim out and restore like you said. You can put your sim in another iPhone no problem.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Mrteacup (08-28-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Take your sim out and restore like you said. You can put your sim in another iPhone no problem.
    So no need to call in and "deactivate"? Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    So no need to call in and "deactivate"? Thanks!
    Nope! Unlike CDMA devices, the SIM card is the sole thing that controls cellular service with a GSM phone. Remove the card, and that telephone can't make/receive calls etc. with your number. Insert it into a new phone, and that new phone is now activated with your telephone number. If you need a different sized SIM, AT&T can issue you a new correctly sized SIM card, usually free of charge.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

Mrteacup (08-28-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Nope! Unlike CDMA devices, the SIM card is the sole thing that controls cellular service with a GSM phone. Remove the card, and that telephone can't make/receive calls etc. with your number. Insert it into a new phone, and that new phone is now activated with your telephone number. If you need a different sized SIM, AT&T can issue you a new correctly sized SIM card, usually free of charge.
    Wow one step ahead of me! I was wondering about the sim problem, forgot I had a micro sim in my iPhone!