+ Reply
Page 89 of 92 FirstFirst ... 39 798788899091 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 1827

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Great Debate

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
I did mention that the 2 that I have are Navigon. I keep them with me in the car and when I travel as a backup. Because you are correct
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,911 Times in 6,519 Posts

I did mention that the 2 that I have are Navigon. I keep them with me in the car and when I travel as a backup. Because you are correct Simon, you never know when you might need built in maps. But I also have Navigon on my iPhone too!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (06-11-2014), Simon (06-11-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 7,004 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    I did mention that the 2 that I have are Navigon. I keep them with me in the car and when I travel as a backup. Because you are correct Simon, you never know when you might need built in maps. But I also have Navigon on my iPhone too!
    Oh did you? I just saw NewD's post on it. Whoops lol. Well I was talking about the iPhone apps from navigon having the maps built in, no data required when on the go. And they update automatically just like any other App Store app over wifi. Really a must have app for anyone traveling abroad who doesn't want crazy roaming charges from having to use apple/google maps. Unless they get a prepaid sim with data wherever they are traveling I suppose, but that's an extra cost too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (06-11-2014)

Thanks

I agree, I love the phone app for those reasons. Sometimes the stand alone units are nice too as they free up the phone for calling and texting while driving!
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (06-11-2014), Simon (06-11-2014)

Thanks

Yes, cause that's what you want to be freed up to do while driving lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

RKO1195 (06-11-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Just to confirm I was talking about NAVIGON for ios as well, and if I get a text…well you don't text and drive do you!

Thanks

Of course! I call it multitasking! Besides a new study shows that actually talking on the phone is far more dangerous than texting.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,149 Times in 4,594 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Oh did you? I just saw NewD's post on it. Whoops lol. Well I was talking about the iPhone apps from navigon having the maps built in, no data required when on the go. And they update automatically just like any other App Store app over wifi. Really a must have app for anyone traveling abroad who doesn't want crazy roaming charges from having to use apple/google maps. Unless they get a prepaid sim with data wherever they are traveling I suppose, but that's an extra cost too.
    I agree, I love the phone app for those reasons. Sometimes the stand alone units are nice too as they free up the phone for calling and texting while driving!
    Yeah, Simon.. I heard what I thought was King's meaning: separate units - old fashioned windshield mount puppies.. .. I'll put Google Maps and AppleMaps up against any other iOS GPS app.. Just as accurate. Why in the WORLD would I pay for a turn by turn app.

Of course! I call it multitasking! Besides a new study shows that actually talking on the phone is far more dangerous than texting.
    I read that too. Not sure I agree - but it's interesting to think about. Wonder how they did the testing..
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Simon (06-11-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Yeah, Simon.. I heard what I thought was King's meaning: separate units - old fashioned windshield mount puppies.. .. I'll put Google Maps and AppleMaps up against any other iOS GPS app.. Just as accurate. Why in the WORLD would I pay for a turn by turn app.

I read that too. Not sure I agree - but it's interesting to think about. Wonder how they did the testing..
    Accuracy was never the issue with me. Being able to use without a data connection is biggest feature for me and anyone traveling outside their country I would think.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (06-11-2014)

Thanks

Default Widget Weather
    Exactly Simon. Also nothing updates faster than an app with built in maps than having to wait for a server. I can't tell you how many times that I've driven past the street I needed to turn onto because Apple or Google is too slow in updating my position. Never happens with Navigon. It's just a better system!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (06-12-2014), Simon (06-11-2014)

Thanks

Accuracy was never the issue with me. Being able to use without a data connection is biggest feature for me and anyone traveling outside their country I would think.
    But you're IN your country? LOL!.. How many people do you know that regularly travel outside their country, bro? Maybe that's a very 'American' notion - since USA is such a big place. But I hear ya..

Exactly Simon. Also nothing updates faster than an app with built in maps than having to wait for a server. I can't tell you how many times that I've driven past the street I needed to turn onto because Apple or Google is too slow in updating my position. Never happens with Navigon. It's just a better system!
    It's strange.. because I've just never experienced a single problem with Maps or Google Maps.. It's always perfect, always current and I never miss a turn. So I would never go 'seeking' a system like Navigon since I've never experienced failure.. I'll sure take your word for it that it's great.. I just would have no reason to seek it out. I had a Tom Tom in my car -- PATIENTLY waiting for the day that my phone could do it. The moment my phone could do I've never turned back - and don't miss a single feature of my TomTom.. Is there anything Navigon can do, FEATURE-wise, that Maps or Google Maps can't? That might be more the thing that interests me.. 'cause you can't really sell me on the 'accuracy' angle..

Quote Originally Posted by shamjosh View Post
    Hi
    Just sent the files to you
    I'll check them out when I get home...

Thanks

But you're IN your country? LOL!.. How many people do you know that regularly travel outside their country, bro? Maybe that's a very 'American' notion - since USA is such a big place. But I hear ya..
    You're kidding right?

Thanks

I too owned navigon devices long before there were reliable app equivalents. I still travel to places that have crap service. I do travel to some countries that I'd rather use the old devices, as I'm given one of the company world phones or sometimes the sat phone. But I've still yet to find a better app than Navigon for turn by turn directions. If you've never missed a turn then you must drive at 50% of the speed limit. You are very lucky, as everyone else that travels has also had the same issues as I do. Anyways, it's nice to have a backup.

Thanks

Default Widget Weather
    I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone that doesn't travel outside my country. Be pretty sad if I did lol, given where I live.

Think of Europe. You guys are used to driving long distances and be in a different state but still same country and data is fine, no roaming. They drive to their next "state" and it's a totally different country.

Think how many people travel to the US every day? Got tourist figures? I bet the number is insane.

Trust me, all these people would rather an app with maps preloaded, not one that needs data to load them on the fly. Apple/google maps good for locals, bad for travelers. Personally I don't need either here. Not much need for turn by turn or map apps on a 21 mile long Island lol. Completely necessary when I travel though, which is always outside my country.

Just think about all the millions of people traveling outside their country this week and for the next month. Cookie for anyone that can tell me why that would be, hehe

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (06-12-2014), EricB78 (06-11-2014), Mary48336 (06-12-2014)

Thanks

Default Widget Weather
    I understand your point, Simon.. But don't believe it to be millions traveling outside their "state" (European) per your example. But even if so.. For TRULY millions of us in the US (China, Canada, Russia, etc)- there is simply no need to "buy" a turn by turn app when Apple and Google have provided us with a highly accurate FREE one that updates maps automatically in the background with little to no data usage. As I said, it simply never would've occurred to me to buy one since I've never missed a turn using apples or Google's. And I use my turn by turn directions all day every day in my work.
    The first time I "miss a turn", or need turn by turn when I'm in Spain ( i'm there a couple times of year but someone else always drives me around) or for other traveling abroad then I might consider Navigon.

But we can move on from this. My guess is we're probably boring people with this topic. :-)
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 06-12-2014 at 08:13 AM.

Thanks

You have seen those new contraptions called planes flying overhead right? I think you are vastly underestimating the number of people who travel to other countries. Try to break free from the enclosed world you perceive yourself to be in and open your eyes to the whole world that is actually out there.

Tourism figures just for the US are in the millions: http://travel.trade.gov/view/m-2014-I-001/index.html

Thanks

Default Widget Weather
    We we're talking about "the alleged" MILLIONS of Europeans traveling to their neighboring countries on the roads, Simon.. How did you make the jump to "all the world's tourists"???! Lol!! Boy you really wanna be right on this one.. C'mon, bro.. You know what I mean.. The average person - among billions - who travel daily - will never need to buy Navigon. That's the main point.. BOOOY have we gotten into the weeds.. Lol!

Thanks

We we're talking about "the alleged" MILLIONS of Europeans traveling to their neighboring countries on the roads, Simon.. How did you make the jump to "all the world's tourists"???! Lol!! Boy you really wanna be right on this one.. C'mon, bro.. You know what I mean.. The average person - among billions - who travel daily - will never need to buy Navigon. That's the main point.. BOOOY have we gotten into the weeds.. Lol!
    We weren't talking about Europeans Grant. I used Europe as one example, that's it. We were always talking about the whole world, every person that travels to a different country, everywhere. Isn't that what these apps support? They aren't just useful in the US. Bermuda alone gets 500,000-700,000 people from other countries a year visiting my little 20 mile island, not that they need gps apps here, just saying.

and don't fret, this convo will be getting moved to great debate in a minute.

Thanks

Default Widget Weather
    We weren't talking about Europeans Grant. I used Europe as one example, that's it. We were always talking about the whole world, every person that travels to a different country, everywhere. Isn't that what these apps support? They aren't just useful in the US. Bermuda alone gets 500,000-700,000 people from other countries a year visiting my little 20 mile island, not that they need gps apps here, just saying.

and don't fret, this convo will be getting moved to great debate in a minute.
    That was NOT the context of the whole conversation, Simon.. You're applying some fancy direction change tactics to make your point.. The context was a comparison between the average one person in their country driving daily as compared with those that travel abroad for work or pleasure.. OF COURSE travelers will want a non roaming device for GPS.. I have never for a moment disputed that. Why would I?!

The point is there is zero difference in accuracy between Navigon and Apple maps or Google. And the average person who uses a GPS daily, in their own country, which is the vast majority of people that use GPS's BY FAR, will never need to "buy" a GPS app. That's the point that seems pretty obvious in all this to me. If you choose to believe otherwise, then by all means go "buy" a GPS app. When I travel to foreign countries I buy a prepaid Sim card when I'm in the country. So still I don't need Navigon. No roaming.

Thanks

That was NOT the context of the whole conversation, Simon.. You're applying some fancy direction change tactics to make your point.. The context was a comparison between the average one person in their country driving daily as compared with those that travel abroad for work or pleasure.. OF COURSE travelers will want a non roaming device for GPS.. I have never for a moment disputed that. Why would I?!

The point is there is zero difference in accuracy between Navigon and Apple maps or Google. And the average person who uses a GPS daily, in their own country, which is the vast majority of people that use GPS's BY FAR, will never need to "buy" a GPS app. That's the point that seems pretty obvious in all this to me. If you choose to believe otherwise, then by all means go "buy" a GPS app. When I travel to foreign countries I buy a prepaid Sim card when I'm in the country. So still I don't need Navigon. No roaming.
    That was the context of the conversation I was having. I was never disputing the claim you made to King about a person who doesn't travel abroad needing a gps with maps built in. Read my posts and you'll see I agreed with you on that, in that situation the choice between the two becomes personal preference.
    I was always arguing the point about the amount of people who do travel overseas and how they would need a gps app with maps built into as opposed to apple/google maps. My only issue with your statements was what you do with a lot of things, understimate the amount of people that don't live like you and the people around you do. It's funny that as soon as I started laying out facts with real numbers your whole argument went away from that and towards trying to make me look like I am playing games by changing the conversation.

Or we were both just having two different conversations at the same time without even realizing it lol. < I am thinking this may be the case.

In summary:

1: I agree with you about people within their own country that in comes down to personal preference between the two types.
    2: From what I can see you agree with me that people travelling outside their country maps built into app would be better.
    3: Only thing I can see now that we disagreed on is the number of people who travel outside their country (this was the only point I was ever trying to make).

Thanks

That was the context of the conversation I was having. I was never disputing the claim you made to King about a person who doesn't travel abroad needing a gps with maps built in. Read my posts and you'll see I agreed with you on that, in that situation the choice between the two becomes personal preference.
    I was always arguing the point about the amount of people who do travel overseas and how they would need a gps app with maps built into as opposed to apple/google maps. My only issue with your statements was what you do with a lot of things, underestimate the amount of people that don't live like you and the people around you do. It's funny that as soon as I started laying out facts with real numbers your whole argument went away from that and towards trying to make me look like I am playing games by changing the conversation.

Or we were both just having two different conversations at the same time without even realizing it lol. < I am thinking this may be the case.

In summary:

1: I agree with you about people within their own country that in comes down to personal preference between the two types.
    2: From what I can see you agree with me that people travelling outside their country maps built into app would be better.
    3: Only thing I can see now that we disagreed on is the number of people who travel outside their country (this was the only point I was ever trying to make).
    We have not/have never had a disagreement about the high number of those who travel abroad or their needing an alternative to roaming-based GPS, Simon. You love trying to 'open my worldview' - but that's not necessary - and was NEVER any part of our discussion. It was YOU who turned the corner trying to prove that MANY travel. Look carefully at my post about the 'it's not MILLIONS that travel' it was VERY obvious I was referring to your SPECIFIC example about Europe. Not sure how you missed that context.. Though I KNOW when I start throwing 'numbers' out - it 'pricks' an old habit in yours of loving to 'set NewD 1.0' straight! LOL!! I know you can't help yourself. But my statement in that post was pretty darn clear as I read it again.. Millions, who LIVE ABROAD, where distance between neighboring countries is not much (as in Europe), do NOT travel to their neighboring countries BY THE MILLIONS and therefore would STILL not to need to worry about roaming charges while using a phone app-based GPS.. Now you still may even disagree with THAT statement.. If you can show me figures of European natives that travel to neighboring countries "DAILY" and "BY THE MILLIONS".. bring it on-- and I'm only too happy to 'broaden my worldview', bro.

But I'm in agreement (have always been in agreement) with your first 2 statements.. #3 you're still wrong about with regard to Europe and other smaller continents. The number is not 'millions', 'DAILY'.

But we're good, Simon... You're almost 100% on your stats.. You're the best at that.. And I'm almost ALWAYS overstating my point.. LOL!!..

My real argument is a little more with KoH that Navigon is 'more accurate' than Apple Maps or Google Maps. Don't believe that for a minute..
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 06-12-2014 at 09:46 AM.