Page 6 of 92 FirstFirst ... 45678 16 56 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 1827

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: The Great Debate

  1. #101
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,595
    Thanks
    6,868
    Thanked 15,286 Times in 7,011 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Oh.. the drama. Though I know Simon will never want to admit this - this forum is not the final repository of all current possible knowledge about iOS. There are other large forums. None as large as this one - granted. But there are Kings and Krimas and Pinoys and Orbys at other forums. And this forum/blog is the 'only' one I read that didn't really know about OTA not being able to overwrite a jailbreak. MuscleNerd has said it in Twitter, now ih8. I've read this fear thing about accidental overwrite since I've been here and just never understood all the worry. As I said, it's become a bit of urban legend or OCD like the RAM getting too low thing.

    I know with my sometimes large pronouncements, I bring the reaction upon myself - of distrust in my input. And though you'll want to not believe me, I've only been wrong once in a pronouncement I've made here. Well twice, but the other time was a technicality - but who's counting. Lol!! I spend MANY hours a day studying about iOS and how it works. I'm a quick study. Went back to college at 47 and graduated Summa Cum Laude 3.985 GPA. I know how to study, gents and ladies.

    And one thing Ive learned is that a good resource person gets to be one by not just listening in an echo chamber. I think it bothers some here, the notion that its not the case that "if it's knowable about iOS" it will be found/discovered at MMI. Read wider sources, my friends, It won't take you looking thru too many searches to find backing that accidental jailbreak loss via OTA just isn't possible - as a rule. Rules have exceptions. Just not many.

    I know with the god-like status we attribute to the devs, we assume they built in the OTA failsafe in 1.3--> because it actually protects us from something. What they really understand, I think, is the 'people's' need for it - to quell 'unwarranted' fears. And I still agree with MJ's point about double protection.
    Seriously? Look where you go. Didn't I just say I knew about that since the 5.X days? Why bring up stuff like "final repository" and largest forum. You really do grandstand for no reason. No one said MMi is the final authority on iPhones. No one said we are the largest site about modding iPhones (we aren't). We are what we are.

    You and I had the same view on this OTA thing. But look at the way I handled it and the way you handled it. You pronounced the others wrong, implied they were mistaken and placed some arbitrary percentage on the situation.
    I never said any of them were wrong and instead of just proclaiming a percentage or saying it outright cannot be done I went on twitter and asked a well known dev about it. Maybe not the best dev to ask but he knows his stuff and I knew I would get a response from him where asking someone else would probably get ignored.

    Do you understand the difference in how we both approached something and why your way causes aggravation and conflict?

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

    GUNNY29 (02-26-2013), King_O_Hill (02-26-2013)

  3. #102
    My iPhone is a Part of Me The 8th Immortal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Anywhere under Heaven is my Home
    Posts
    852
    Thanks
    526
    Thanked 1,418 Times in 450 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    I spend MANY hours a day studying about iOS and how it works. I'm a quick study. Went back to college at 47 and graduated Summa Cum Laude 3.985 GPA. I know how to study, gents and ladies.
    This explains why he puts himself on a pedastol and has a condescending attitude when replying to someone's posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    My grandfather stormed the beaches of Normandy! Great stories!
    My father fought the good fight in Vietnam. Considered a "political" war (as they all are to some extent and on a different level different from the WW's). Whenever i ask, he shares his stories. The sheer will to survive, adapt and overcome in the face of certain death is certainly a tribute and testament to the strength of the human spirit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Do you understand the difference in how we both approached something and why your way causes aggravation and conflict?
    I shall reiterate...on second thought, i won't. Please refer to my statement in response to her post.
    Last edited by The 8th Immortal; 02-26-2013 at 05:30 AM.
    SIGPIC SIGPIC

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to The 8th Immortal For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (02-26-2013)

  5. #103
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,595
    Thanks
    6,868
    Thanked 15,286 Times in 7,011 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    Nooooooooooooooo!!!!! What are u doing Simon? Even if u have irrefutable evidence that NewDestiny is right u still don't agree with him. Even if God(not Gunny) himself comes down and backs up NewDestiny u still say,"meh who knows he may be wrong". You never, I repeat, never concede. Just like the brave men at Normandy u push forward no matter what. When u stare pure evil in the face u strengthen your resolve and march forward. No more thanks from me to u Simon.
    I know I know. Should have held strong. All I can say is I'm sorry and hope that one day you will find it in you to forgive me.



    Lol

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (02-26-2013), Krima (02-26-2013)

  7. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I know I know. Should have held strong. All I can say is I'm sorry and hope that one day you will find it in you to forgive me.



    Lol
    Aw man I can't stay mad at you. I'm not one to say I told u so, I'm just one to point out that I'm not one to say I told u so. We live, we learn, we move on. I forgive u and I will always answer the Krima signal for you buddy. Lol

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (02-26-2013), Simon (02-26-2013)

  9. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Do you understand the difference in how we both approached something and why your way causes aggravation and conflict?
    There's a big difference, Simon. I'm constantly put down here. You are not. Your time here lets you just say what's up and it's taken as gospel truth. I however have to 'prove' everything I say even when I come with data from sources higher than myself. King called me out on this and told me to basically shut up an 'learn my place'. I shared my sources and tried to be collegial. Then you chime in with a source and your own iPad test (all things I offered too) and you get applauded and accepted for the 'truth you presented'. King was dead wrong and still hasn't admitted it and starts talking WW2.

    This place is wonderful, by and large, but has some people a little full of themselves sometimes that need to be knocked down a peg and at times I just have to call it like it is. I'm not the only one that sees it; just the most vocal about it.

    Proof? Watch the justification of positions that will happen next and claiming that there really are the 'exceptions' and that they've had jailbreak loss over OTA. And watch the personal attacks on me that ensue.

    The topic is over for me. I helped reveal a myth and hopefully that will help others rest easier that they won't lose their jailbreak. And that's only and ever my goal here - to help.

    I DO hear aspects of your point, Simon. But you're missing a crucial perspective here too.

    Peace
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  10. #106

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MamaJaay For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (02-26-2013), Krima (02-26-2013)

  12. #107
    @NewDestiny I think what u should take away from this is that people respond the way they do with u because of your tone and delivery of this"helpful" information. When someone has established themselves as being level headed and reasonable u generally take what he says with greater weight than say someone that is argumentative and contentious. Simon has established himself as the former and unfortunately u the latter. When u brought up the whole mmi not the be all end all and trying to give legitimacy to your claim by stating how smart u are, this can be off putting to some.

    My thought is only this, if u r smart u do not have to take so many opportunities to point this out. King is obviously a smart guy with all this coding business and Pinoy with his modding skills but I rarely, if ever, hear them say how smart they are and try to force people to respect them. If u want to help just help without trying to establish yourself as one of the most knowledgeable people on here. Humility will go a long way here I think and resolve 99.91538% of your issues here. See what I did there, lol.

    I'll be back as soon as I pay the electric bill for the signal. It was so high this month y'all r breaking my wallet.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

    GUNNY29 (02-26-2013), King_O_Hill (02-26-2013), Simon (02-26-2013)

  14. #108
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,527
    Thanks
    42,256
    Thanked 17,999 Times in 6,544 Posts

    @NewD

    I'm gonna break my new rule and give another reply to this.

    1st, you can't tell me that my experience doesn't count.

    2nd, you are making the mistake that you always make in that we are talking about hacked software here. Even without it being hacked, you cannot make absolute statements about what an OS can and can't do. It is written by humans that obviously make mistakes, or jail breaking would not exist. For anyone to make a statement that implies that something is 100% impossible, just shows their ignorance to fully understand software. I don't care how good anybody thinks they are, there are always exceptions to the rules. There will always be someone that has a different experience due to any number of reasons. You seem to want to put everything into a black or white category, when there is way more gray area.

    3rd, I didn't bring up the war discussion, I just continued it.

    What did you want from me to admit, I stated what my experience was and you told me that it wasn't possible. What comment could I possibly make at that point. I'm not admitting that I was "dead wrong" in my experience, because you got a an opinion from someone on twitter or something like that. I do my own research and don't rely on what others tell me and then take it as gospel.

    Quote Originally Posted by MamaJaay View Post
    Stop that! Ewwww!

    Now I need to shower again!
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 02-26-2013 at 07:01 AM.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

    GUNNY29 (02-26-2013), Krima (02-26-2013)

  16. #109
    Don't lie King you loved it lmao

    Oh and I agree with Simon King and Krima but no surprise there.
    Click My Sig For my auros Mods

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GUNNY29 For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (02-26-2013), Krima (02-26-2013)

  18. #110
    Please move this discussion to the "The Great Debate" thread. Once again NewdestinyX has managed to fill at least another 2 pages of off topic material on yet another thread

    Edit: Thanks for moving this discussion here
    Last edited by The.Drifter; 02-26-2013 at 01:38 PM.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to The.Drifter For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (02-26-2013)

  20. #111
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,527
    Thanks
    42,256
    Thanked 17,999 Times in 6,544 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by The.Drifter View Post
    Why hasn't this discussion been moved to "The Great Debate" thread?? Once again NewdestinyX has managed to fill at least another 2 pages of off topic material on yet another thread. This is the iWidgets thread remember??

    Blasphemy!

    Are you kneeling before Zod!

    (Old superman ref) haha

    9:45AM, and I need a drink! And I don't drink.
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 02-26-2013 at 07:45 AM.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

  21. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    @NewDestiny I think what u should take away from this is that people respond the way they do with u because of your tone and delivery of this"helpful" information. When someone has established themselves as being level headed and reasonable u generally take what he says with greater weight than say someone that is argumentative and contentious. Simon has established himself as the former and unfortunately u the latter. When u brought up the whole mmi not the be all end all and trying to give legitimacy to your claim by stating how smart u are, this can be off putting to some.

    My thought is only this, if u r smart u do not have to take so many opportunities to point this out. King is obviously a smart guy with all this coding business and Pinoy with his modding skills but I rarely, if ever, hear them say how smart they are and try to force people to respect them. If u want to help just help without trying to establish yourself as one of the most knowledgeable people on here. Humility will go a long way here I think and resolve 99.91538% of your issues here. See what I did there, lol.

    I'll be back as soon as I pay the electric bill for the signal. It was so high this month y'all r breaking my wallet.
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    @NewD

    I'm gonna break my new rule and give another reply to this.

    1st, you can't tell me that my experience doesn't count.

    2nd, you are making the mistake that you always make in that we are talking about hacked software here. Even without it being hacked, you cannot make absolute statements about what an OS can and can't do. It is written by humans that obviously make mistakes, or jail breaking would not exist. For anyone to make a statement that implies that something is 100% impossible, just shows their ignorance to fully understand software. I don't care how good anybody thinks they are, there are always exceptions to the rules. There will always be someone that has a different experience due to any number of reasons. You seem to want to put everything into a black or white category, when there is way more gray area.

    3rd, I didn't bring up the war discussion, I just continued it.

    What did you want from me to admit, I stated what my experience was and you told me that it wasn't possible. What comment could I possibly make at that point. I'm not admitting that I was "dead wrong" in my experience, because you got a an opinion from someone on twitter or something like that. I do my own research and don't rely on what others tell me and then take it as gospel.
    Quote Originally Posted by The.Drifter View Post
    Why hasn't this discussion been moved to "The Great Debate" thread?? Once again NewdestinyX has managed to fill at least another 2 pages of off topic material on yet another thread. This is the iWidgets thread remember??
    I actually didn't start this one, Drifter. And now there have been a lot of gross mischaracterizations and character assassinations in some of the above quotes - but in respect for this thread - my response to them will be posted in the "Great Debate" thread.

    The Great Debate

    Back to iWidgets!
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 02-26-2013 at 08:09 AM.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

    The.Drifter (02-26-2013)

  23. #113
    Defense forthcoming... (make the popcorn )

    Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    @NewDestiny I think what u should take away from this is that people respond the way they do with u because of your tone and delivery of this"helpful" information. When someone has established themselves as being level headed and reasonable u generally take what he says with greater weight than say someone that is argumentative and contentious. Simon has established himself as the former and unfortunately u the latter. When u brought up the whole mmi not the be all end all and trying to give legitimacy to your claim by stating how smart u are, this can be off putting to some.

    My thought is only this, if u r smart u do not have to take so many opportunities to point this out. King is obviously a smart guy with all this coding business and Pinoy with his modding skills but I rarely, if ever, hear them say how smart they are and try to force people to respect them. If u want to help just help without trying to establish yourself as one of the most knowledgeable people on here. Humility will go a long way here I think and resolve 99.91538% of your issues here. See what I did there, lol.

    I'll be back as soon as I pay the electric bill for the signal. It was so high this month y'all r breaking my wallet.
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    @NewD

    I'm gonna break my new rule and give another reply to this.

    1st, you can't tell me that my experience doesn't count.

    2nd, you are making the mistake that you always make in that we are talking about hacked software here. Even without it being hacked, you cannot make absolute statements about what an OS can and can't do. It is written by humans that obviously make mistakes, or jail breaking would not exist. For anyone to make a statement that implies that something is 100% impossible, just shows their ignorance to fully understand software. I don't care how good anybody thinks they are, there are always exceptions to the rules. There will always be someone that has a different experience due to any number of reasons. You seem to want to put everything into a black or white category, when there is way more gray area.

    3rd, I didn't bring up the war discussion, I just continued it.

    What did you want from me to admit, I stated what my experience was and you told me that it wasn't possible. What comment could I possibly make at that point. I'm not admitting that I was "dead wrong" in my experience, because you got a an opinion from someone on twitter or something like that. I do my own research and don't rely on what others tell me and then take it as gospel.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 02-26-2013 at 08:09 AM.

  24. #114
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,595
    Thanks
    6,868
    Thanked 15,286 Times in 7,011 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    There's a big difference, Simon. I'm constantly put down here. You are not. Your time here lets you just say what's up and it's taken as gospel truth. I however have to 'prove' everything I say even when I come with data from sources higher than myself. King called me out on this and told me to basically shut up an 'learn my place'. I shared my sources and tried to be collegial. Then you chime in with a source and your own iPad test (all things I offered too) and you get applauded and accepted for the 'truth you presented'. King was dead wrong and still hasn't admitted it and starts talking WW2.

    This place is wonderful, by and large, but has some people a little full of themselves sometimes that need to be knocked down a peg and at times I just have to call it like it is. I'm not the only one that sees it; just the most vocal about it.

    Proof? Watch the justification of positions that will happen next and claiming that there really are the 'exceptions' and that they've had jailbreak loss over OTA. And watch the personal attacks on me that ensue.

    The topic is over for me. I helped reveal a myth and hopefully that will help others rest easier that they won't lose their jailbreak. And that's only and ever my goal here - to help.

    I DO hear aspects of your point, Simon. But you're missing a crucial perspective here too.

    Peace
    Don't you see that I didn't just say what's up and it was taken as gospel truth? I didn't just proclaim my view on things. I first took to twitter (outside MMi) to ask a dev about it for confirmation. Then I tried it out myself to see if I could confirm it personally. I didn't try to backup my position with boasts about my own knowledge of things or how much I have studied or how well I have done in college or anything else. I did some legwork in trying to prove my position on the subject. I didn't rely on my perception of how people view me. That's what gets you into these situations. Make a little effort into proving your point instead of just assuming people will roll over and believe you just because you think you know a lot.

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (02-26-2013), Krima (02-26-2013)

  26. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Don't you see that I didn't just say what's up and it was taken as gospel truth? I didn't just proclaim my view on things. I first took to twitter (outside MMi) to ask a dev about it for confirmation. Then I tried it out myself to see if I could confirm it personally. I didn't try to backup my position with boasts about my own knowledge of things or how much I have studied or how well I have done in college or anything else. I did some legwork in trying to prove my position on the subject. I didn't rely on my perception of how people view me. That's what gets you into these situations. Make a little effort into proving your point instead of just assuming people will roll over and believe you just because you think you know a lot.
    No Simon. In this case you have some blindness on this issue and aren't seeing the full picture. You're seeing a very small piece of this large topic and trying to protect others bad behavior. I stood up for myself 'after' I had presented my experience/proof and was pushed down by King. You're ignoring the order of events. YOU even had to go find your 'own proof' rather than accept my word and proof citing MuscleNerd.

    This ignoring of bad behavior is getting hard to deal with. It's very sad. And getting to a point where I can't really function here. Ellersbee and other good people have left for similar reasons. It's really sad.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 02-26-2013 at 08:21 AM.

  27. #116
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,527
    Thanks
    42,256
    Thanked 17,999 Times in 6,544 Posts

    I see that the MMI teleporter is functioning just fine!

    Ellersbee had different issues that doomed him a long time ago.

    Besides, we needed someone else to fill his spot!
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 02-26-2013 at 08:23 AM.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

  28. #117
    God I can't wait for the rebuttal. U guys have no idea how excited I am to hear NewDestinys response. Popcorn cooked, rag right by my side, and candles lit. Lets do this.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (02-26-2013)

  30. #118
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,527
    Thanks
    42,256
    Thanked 17,999 Times in 6,544 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    God I can't wait for the rebuttal. U guys have no idea how excited I am to hear NewDestinys response. Popcorn cooked, rag right by my side, and candles lit. Lets do this.
    Wow! That is so wrong!

    But very funny!

    You got Barry White playin too?
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

  31. #119
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,595
    Thanks
    6,868
    Thanked 15,286 Times in 7,011 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    No Simon. In this case you have some blindness on this issue and aren't seeing the full picture. You're seeing a very small piece of this large topic and trying to protect others bad behavior. I stood up for myself 'after' I had presented my proof and pushed down by King. You're ignoring order of events. You even had to go find your 'own proof' rather than accept my word and proof citing MuscleNerd.

    This ignoring of bad behavior is getting hard to deal with. It's very sad. And getting to a point where I can't really function here. Ellersbee and other good people have left for similar reasons. It's really sad.
    You never provided any proof man. Show me where you did and I will proclaim myself blind.

    And you really don't want to use ellersbee as a example of anything. I'm not gonna outright bash him because I was always friendly with him and thought he was a good guy, some of the things he did here though are just downright mind boggling.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (02-26-2013)

  33. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Wow! That is so wrong!

    But very funny!

    You got Barry White playin too?
    Way ahead of u buddy.

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (02-26-2013)

Page 6 of 92 FirstFirst ... 45678 16 56 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •