+ Reply
Page 5 of 91 FirstFirst ... 34567 15 55 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Great Debate

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
Originally Posted by MamaJaay Mine was a bootloop from hell and not even the SBSettings safe mode with the volume button would do a darn thing. I just asked ih8snow
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,775 Times in 6,871 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MamaJaay View Post
    Mine was a bootloop from hell and not even the SBSettings safe mode with the volume button would do a darn thing.
    I just asked ih8snow on twitter. He said it was not possible to OTA update a jailbroken device. So I would say evaders added it to evasi0n to 1: prevent recovery/boot loop which would mean losing jailbreak. 2: take away the annoyance of seeing the OTA thing pop up.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (02-25-2013), NewdestinyX (02-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,429 Times in 4,281 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I just asked ih8snow on twitter. He said it was not possible to OTA update a jailbroken device. So I would say evaders added it to evasi0n to 1: prevent recovery/boot loop which would mean losing jailbreak. 2: take away the annoyance of seeing the OTA thing pop up.
    Thanks for corroborating the statements I'd heard too, Simon. MuscleNerd mentioned it as not possible too. But I would totally agree with the Evasi0n team wanting to disable it for the other reasons. MJ's situation was like that. But I'm left wondering if an OTA attempt is what brought the boot loop or if it was something else. If something else caused the bootlup then the loss of jailbreak had nothing to do with OTA.

Suffice it to say - having double protection is good.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 02-25-2013 at 09:47 PM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

iPhone? More like MyPhone kenboyles72's Avatar
    Thanks

Hate to beat a dead horse, but I have done an ota while jailbroken, I think it was for 5.1.1. I was at work when the jailbreak released, so I did an ota at work. That way when I got home, all I had to do was the JB, not the update as well.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenboyles72 For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (02-25-2013), Simon (02-25-2013)

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,296 Times in 5,962 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kenboyles72 View Post
    Hate to beat a dead horse, but I have done an ota while jailbroken, I think it was for 5.1.1. I was at work when the jailbreak released, so I did an ota at work. That way when I got home, all I had to do was the JB, not the update as well.
    Well Ken, apparently you and I are the .01%'ers!

Man I love percentages! That was for you Simon!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Simon (02-25-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Well Ken, apparently you and I are the .01%'ers!

Man I love percentages! That was for you Simon!
    Someone better tell ih8snow lol. Ok, I'm gonna for it on my iPad right now. That is the only device I have evasi0n 1.0 on so no OTA blocker.

Nope. No go on it. Just shot back an error every time during the preparing part. Rebooted and now it is just stuck on checking for updates.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

When someone says... "I think.. it was 5.1.1....". well let's just say after 3 personal tests and dev backing - I'm not gonna back down from my position. If it happens its rare to nonexistent post ios5. Ken I'm not saying it didn't happen to you or King or MJ. I'm saying well, those cases are pretty isolated and from what I've read - not possible at all on ios6... something to do with API Ticket verification step being impossible to complete OTA when a phone is jail broken.

Thanks

Can't believe I'm backing newdestiny up for once lol. The world has gone crazy. ih8snow is sticking to his not possible line. So I dunno what to say anymore about it.
    I'm not touching that percentage though lol

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Can't believe I'm backing newdestiny up for once lol. The world has gone crazy. ih8snow is sticking to his not possible line. So I dunno what to say anymore about it.
    The info is not original with me. I would not call something an. 'Urban myth' without backing from an authority MUCH higher than myself. As King points out - I'm an apprentice modder only. But I am a very well-read person when I comment on these matters and have done careful testing and research.

Did you verify ih8's statement by testing your own iPad as you mentioned you would?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    The info is not original with me. I would not call something an. 'Urban myth' without backing from an authority higher than myself.

Did you verify ih8's statement by testing your own iPad as you mentioned you would?
    I never thought it was possible either but that's just from info from twitter. I think from ih8snow originally back in the 5.X days when OTA was introduced. I don't think I saw any other devs say the same thing but they may have.

Yes I tried it with my iPad. No go. Just gave me an error during preparing update part every time. I updated my previous post with this.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (02-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,177 Times in 2,276 Posts

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!! What are u doing Simon? Even if u have irrefutable evidence that NewDestiny is right u still don't agree with him. Even if God(not Gunny) himself comes down and backs up NewDestiny u still say,"meh who knows he may be wrong". You never, I repeat, never concede. Just like the brave men at Normandy u push forward no matter what. When u stare pure evil in the face u strengthen your resolve and march forward. No more thanks from me to u Simon.
    Last edited by Krima; 02-25-2013 at 08:58 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (02-25-2013), Pinoy (02-25-2013), Simon (02-26-2013)

Thanks

My grandfather stormed the beaches of Normandy! Great stories!
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Krima (02-25-2013), Pinoy (02-25-2013), Simon (02-26-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone kenboyles72's Avatar
    Thanks

When someone says... "I think.. it was 5.1.1....". well let's just say after 3 personal tests and dev backing - I'm not gonna back down from my position. If it happens its rare to nonexistent post ios5. Ken I'm not saying it didn't happen to you or King or MJ. I'm saying well, those cases are pretty isolated and from what I've read - not possible at all on ios6... something to do with API Ticket verification step being impossible to complete OTA when a phone is jail broken.
    Yeah, post 5.1.1 may be different, i haven't tried it, nor could i possibly do it. Ever since the 5.1.1 update, I have gone in and deleted the launch daemon for ota checks and install (don't need an update no how since i'm jailbroke), so my phone never stood a chance of it updating ota.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to kenboyles72 For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (02-25-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    Nooooooooooooooo!!!!! What are u doing Simon? Even if u have irrefutable evidence that NewDestiny is right u still don't agree with him. Even if God(not Gunny) himself comes down and backs up NewDestiny u still say,"meh who knows he may be wrong". You never, I repeat, never concede. Just like the brave men at Normandy u push forward no matter what. When u stare pure evil in the face u strengthen your resolve and march forward. No more thanks from me to u Simon.
    Oh.. the drama. Though I know Simon will never want to admit this - this forum is not the final repository of all current possible knowledge about iOS. There are other large forums. None as large as this one - granted. But there are Kings and Krimas and Pinoys and Orbys at other forums. And this forum/blog is the 'only' one I read that didn't really know about OTA not being able to overwrite a jailbreak. MuscleNerd has said it in Twitter, now ih8. I've read this fear thing about accidental overwrite since I've been here and just never understood all the worry. As I said, it's become a bit of urban legend or OCD like the RAM getting too low thing.

I know with my sometimes large pronouncements, I bring the reaction upon myself - of distrust in my input. And though you'll want to not believe me, I've only been wrong once in a pronouncement I've made here. Well twice, but the other time was a technicality - but who's counting. Lol!! I spend MANY hours a day studying about iOS and how it works. I'm a quick study. Went back to college at 47 and graduated Summa Cum Laude 3.985 GPA. I know how to study, gents and ladies.

And one thing Ive learned is that a good resource person gets to be one by not just listening in an echo chamber. I think it bothers some here, the notion that its not the case that "if it's knowable about iOS" it will be found/discovered at MMI. Read wider sources, my friends, It won't take you looking thru too many searches to find backing that accidental jailbreak loss via OTA just isn't possible - as a rule. Rules have exceptions. Just not many.

I know with the god-like status we attribute to the devs, we assume they built in the OTA failsafe in 1.3--> because it actually protects us from something. What they really understand, I think, is the 'people's' need for it - to quell 'unwarranted' fears. And I still agree with MJ's point about double protection.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 02-25-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Thanks

My grandfather waited until I was older until he told me of his adventures during WWII. It was really wild hearing about it from someone that was actually there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    My grandfather waited until I was older until he told me of his adventures during WWII. It was really wild hearing about it from someone that was actually there.
    My "father" was there. Amazing period in history.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,795 Times in 3,028 Posts

Oh.. the drama. Though I know Simon will never want to admit this - this forum is not the final repository of all current possible knowledge about iOS. There are other large forums. None as large as this one - granted. But there are Kings and Krimas and Pinoys and Orbys at other forums. And this forum/blog is the 'only' one I read that didn't really know about OTA not being able to overwrite a jailbreak. MuscleNerd has said it in Twitter, now ih8. I've read this fear thing about accidental overwrite since I've been here and just never understood all the worry. As I said, it's become a bit of urban legend or OCD like the RAM getting too low thing.

I know with my sometimes large pronouncements, I bring the reaction upon myself - of distrust in my input. And though you'll want to not believe me, I've only been wrong once in a pronouncement I've made here. Well twice, but the other time was a technicality - but who's counting. Lol!! I spend MANY hours a day studying about iOS and how it works. I'm a quick study. Went back to college at 47 and graduated Summa Cum Laude 3.985 GPA. I know how to study, gents and ladies.

And one thing Ive learned is that a good resource person gets to be one by not just listening in an echo chamber. I think it bothers some here, the notion that its not the case that "if it's knowable about iOS" it will be found/discovered at MMI. Read wider sources, my friends, It won't take you looking thru too many searches to find backing that accidental jailbreak loss via OTA just isn't possible - as a rule. Rules have exceptions. Just not many.

I know with the god-like status we attribute to the devs, we assume they built in the OTA failsafe in 1.3--> because it actually protects us from something. What they really understand, I think, is the 'people's' need for it - to quell 'unwarranted' fears. And I still agree with MJ's point about double protection.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    Lol!!! Love that scene. But c'mon, Pinoy, I deserve a little gloating on this one..

Thanks
    Thanked 13,795 Times in 3,028 Posts

Lol!!! Love that scene. But c'mon, Pinoy, I deserve a little gloating on this one..
    All in fun my friend. No ill intent on my end.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinoy For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (02-25-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    All in fun my friend. No ill intent on my end.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ahh_boi's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MamaJaay View Post
    I beg to differ. As my kid hit that damned update software button on my 4S, and that's why I went so long without a JB. But I don't wanna argue with anyone. I'm much too old and tired for that. Good luck to all.

Thank you, KOH and Simon for letting me know about the OTA disabling in evasion JB. I was not aware of this. I still have "no update" installed. LOL. so I'm protected both ways. Guess its like taking birth control pills AND using a condom
    Errmmm, then maybe install the resetall killer as well to prevent anyone from touching that dreaded reset all which i think will affect the jailbreak???