Page 4 of 92 FirstFirst ... 23456 14 54 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Great Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Was it this cd?-imageuploadedbymodmyi1360642566.063477.jpg
    Yep! You found it! Boy we do live in the information age, don't we! I'd forgotten it was 2000. I still think of it as '97 for some reason.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,564 Times in 7,113 Posts

Very nice. Sucks you gotta pony up $1500 for something you earned. Doesn't seem right to me.

Anyway, thought we needed to move away from the other thread. Getting too hot and heavy over there. Seemed like a good distraction to bring the Grammy up since I was curious after I saw you tell someone the other day. Just never know what people have been through sometimes huh lol

Very nice. Sucks you gotta pony up $1500 for something you earned. Doesn't seem right to me.

Anyway, thought we needed to move away from the other thread. Getting too hot and heavy over there. Seemed like a good distraction to bring the Grammy up since I was curious after I saw you tell someone the other day. Just never know what people have been through sometimes huh lol
    Yeah! You'd be surprised, Simon. This place attracts a lot of people from different professions who are high-level professionals. If you think about it modding our phones is a wonderful passtime for intelligent professional people. We tend to be problem solvers in the lines of work that we do and this is just plain fun. A wonderful distraction.

Yes sucks you got a pony up money for something you earned. But there are just so many people involved with most successful records. In a way I understand it.

I'm actually more proud of the many times I was "nominated" for a Grammy for my work as a producer on other Black Gospel projects. If I had won for any of those projects I would have been been invited to the awards ceremony night and gotten the statue for free. :-) But I have no complaints. I've done what I've loved to do for my career and actually has several different careers that you hear me talk about on here. I guess part of me doesn't know what I want to be when I grow up. LOL!! I'm also a pro in video production and networking management All of which I think have come up in some of these threads at different points. In my heart of hearts I'm a techno-geek and always will be.

So are you a musician too?
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaJaay View Post
    Well, I say, if its your work, and you've put it in cydia, then it's your responsibility to update it. I will wait for modified code from Dacal, and I'll update MJSmash. Just as I would for future iOS updates. That IS my responsibility.

Also, CONFIRMED. iOS 6.1.3 BREAKS the JB. SO, with that said, if you have even CONSIDERED restoring recently, I'd do it now. If you haven't updated to ios6, don't lose your chance.
    I heard that too. How far are we away from 6.1.3 release? And I'll bet redsnow has no update to allow restore from 6.1.2 to 6.1.2 if you've saved blobs - right?

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    I heard that too. How far are we away from 6.1.3 release? And I'll bet redsnow has no update to allow restore from 6.1.2 to 6.1.2 if you've saved blobs - right?
    Not that I am aware of. also, even is redsnow is updated, a5+ processors --iphone 4s and 5 -- probably won't be able to use that method. Release on 6.1.3 in the next 2-3 weeks is my assumption. And the signing window for Apple to sign the ipa gets shorter and shorter with each new iOS update. Last time was what, 5 hours??

Also, for the love of GOD, people PLEASE take 15 seconds and download No Update from Cydia. It's prevents you from "butt-pushing" the update software button in your settings app.

I went WAAY too long without a JB, and updating Smash was a real b*tch without it. Won't happen to me EVER again. (Knock on wood)

Be careful what you download and only use RELIABLE Cydia sources.

You'll be SOL once the "I can just restore" mentality is no longer an option. I did both my iPhone and iPad last night. They were both running perfect, but I always do it as a precautionary measure before an update is released.

Of course, I have an Apple Developer account, so luckily, I do get a little more "heads up" than most of the masses. So, I'm doing my part to pay it forward. If anyone doesn't listen and take the simple precautionary steps I've described, I feel for them... But I try to help prevent people from losing their JB.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MamaJaay For This Useful Post:

Hip5 (02-25-2013), joshlogic (02-26-2013)

The Evasi0n jailbreak doesn't allow you to do an OTA update. No tweak is necessary.

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Hip5 (02-25-2013), MamaJaay (02-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    The Evasi0n jailbreak doesn't allow you to do an OTA update. No tweak is necessary.
    Was not aware of this. Was pretty sure that I was able to do an OTA update on my daughters iPod last weekend, after it was JailBroken on day 1. Thanks, KOH. Always full of valuable info
    Last edited by MamaJaay; 02-25-2013 at 02:38 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MamaJaay For This Useful Post:

Hip5 (02-25-2013), King_O_Hill (02-25-2013)

Thanks

Was not aware of this. Was pretty sure that I was able to do an OTA update on my daughters iPod last weekend, after it was JailBroken on day 1. Thanks, KOH
    I think they added it in evasi0n 1.3

Edit: was 1.2

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Hip5 (02-25-2013), King_O_Hill (02-25-2013), MamaJaay (02-25-2013)

I think they added it in evasi0n 1.3
    Good to know on 1.5 now, so should be good

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (02-25-2013)

Ohhh, Dejavu

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Ian Nicoll (02-25-2013), The_Durben (02-25-2013)

Good genereal principles to do a fresh restore right before a window signing close -- but I see a lot of you veterans talking about the dreaded accidental button push for an OTA update while jailbroken. But even if evasi0n hadn't prevented that from happening - accidental OTA update is NOT possible on a jailbroken phone. It wasn't possible on 5.1.1 either. I've tested this on three different phones - even back in 5,1,1 days - and the update fails - midway through the attempt and returns you to current software jailbroken state. I've never understood people's fear of this. I mean - I DO understand it but ONLY IF it were possible. It's not. So I guess it's just become a bit of an urban myth. But OTA updates are simply not possible when jailbroken. Only DFU restores/iTunes recovery restores will clear a jailbreak. So there's really nothing to fear - and hasn't been through both iOS5 and iOS6.
    Here you go again. If it didn't happen to you, then it can't happen to anyone. This happened to me on one of my test phones back on iOS 5. If this was not possible, why would someone have taken the time to make a tweak to prevent it. You are way out of your element here. Just because you've figured out how to edit some CSS & HTML, doesn't mean that you now fully understand how iOS works.

Why would the Evasi0n team disable this feature if there wasn't any danger of it? You need to let them know that they wasted their time worrying about this, as it didn't happen to you, so it can't happen to anyone else.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Krima (02-25-2013), Simon (02-25-2013)

So Durben - we should redownload your Widget Paks from Cydia now - and the snow/rain thing will be all solved in DB AniWeather Dual Touch?

If so - thanks, bro!!
    Grant

Good genereal principles to do a fresh restore right before a window signing close -- but I see a lot of you veterans talking about the dreaded accidental button push for an OTA update while jailbroken. But even if evasi0n hadn't prevented that from happening - accidental OTA update is NOT possible on a jailbroken phone. It wasn't possible on 5.1.1 either. I've tested this on three different phones - even back in 5,1,1 days - and the update fails - midway through the attempt and returns you to current software jailbroken state. I've never understood people's fear of this. I mean - I DO understand it but ONLY IF it were possible. It's not. So I guess it's just become a bit of an urban myth. But OTA updates are simply not possible when jailbroken. Only DFU restores/iTunes recovery restores will clear a jailbreak. So there's really nothing to fear - and hasn't been through both iOS5 and iOS6.
    I beg to differ. As my kid hit that damned update software button on my 4S, and that's why I went so long without a JB. But I don't wanna argue with anyone. I'm much too old and tired for that. Good luck to all.

Thank you, KOH and Simon for letting me know about the OTA disabling in evasion JB. I was not aware of this. I still have "no update" installed. LOL. so I'm protected both ways. Guess its like taking birth control pills AND using a condom

Enjoy your modding, fellas.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MamaJaay For This Useful Post:

Hip5 (02-25-2013), King_O_Hill (02-25-2013), NewdestinyX (02-25-2013), Simon (02-25-2013)

Thanks

I beg to differ. As my kid hit that damned update software button on my 4S, and that's why I went so long without a JB. But I don't wanna argue with anyone. I'm much too old and tired for that. Good luck to all.

Thank you, KOH and Simon for letting me know about the OTA disabling in evasion JB. I was not aware of this. I still have "no update" installed. LOL. so I'm protected both ways. Guess its like taking birth control pills AND using a condom

Enjoy your modding, fellas.
    Never hurts to have twice the protection just in case

Here you go again. If it didn't happen to you, then it can't happen to anyone. This happened to me on one of my test phones back on iOS 5. If this was not possible, why would someone have taken the time to make a tweak to prevent it. You are way out of your element here. Just because you've figured out how to edit some CSS & HTML, doesn't mean that you now fully understand how iOS works.

Why would the Evasi0n team disable this feature if there wasn't any danger of it? You need to let them know that they wasted their time worrying about this, as it didn't happen to you, so it can't happen to anyone else.
    If it were my word only I would say nothing, bro. I agree - I know my place now. I'm only speaking with the authority of many others who confirmed this for me too including a very long series of tweet that included MuscleNerd last jailbreak season. An OTA from a jailbroken state will fail on 99.9% of phone, bro. For the 0.01% of phones it can overwrite a jailbreak it's good to have these tweaks and a disable in Evasi0n itself. This was more of an issue back in iOS3 and 4 days. People got used to being afraid of it. But something Apple did. An OTA needs a 'signing phase' just like in an iTunes backup - when you're jailbroken something goes wrong in that phase - right after the package downloads to your phone and right before it goes off to try and update. I've tried it on three different phone over the last year - once by accident - which FAILED - which got me wondering. Then I tried it on 'purpose' with another 4s and and one 4 as well. It failed same spot each time. Yes - that's only three phones. But the chances of my experience being isolated on three different phones with different tweaks (other family members) is astronomical. That's why I went beyond myself out to other people with greater knowledge.

I do believe it's better to be safe than sorry. And, you're right, there's a reason why the devs still believe it's better to disable this function - but like some of us still think RAM headroom is an issue when you know it's not - don't you think it's possible that knowledgable people (like Krima and Pinoy) would want to hang onto old paradigms 'just to be safe'. This phenomenon (OCD protection of OTA) could be no different a precaution than making sure your RAM is as clear as possible. That's all I'm saying here, bro. It blows my mind that both and you and Mama have been able to use OTA to upgrade from a jailbroken state. That would obviously give cause to question the ubiquity of my claim. No problem there.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 02-25-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Thanks

Excellent question and point

If it were my word only I would say nothing, bro. I agree - I know my place now. I'm only speaking with the authority of many others who confirmed this for me too including a very long series of tweet that included MuscleNerd last jailbreak season. An OTA from a jailbroken state will fail on 99.9% of phone, bro. For the 0.01% of phones it can overwrite a jailbreak it's good to have these tweaks and a disable in Evasi0n itself. This was more of an issue back in iOS3 and 4 days. People got used to being afraid of it. But something Apple did. An OTA needs a 'signing phase' just like in an iTunes backup - when you're jailbroken something goes wrong in that phase - right after the package downloads to your phone and right before it goes off to try and update. I've tried it on three different phone over the last year - once by accident - which got me wondering. Then I tried it on 'purpose' with two 4Ses and and one 4. It failed same spot each time. Yes - that's only three phones. But the chances of my experience being isolated on three different phones is astronomical. That's what I went beyond myself out to other people with greater knowledge.

I do believe it's better to be safe than sorry. And, you're right, there's a reason why the devs still believe it's better to disable this function - but like some of us still think RAM headroom is an issue when you know it's not - don't you think it's possible that knowledgable people (like Krima and Pinoy) would want to hang onto old paradigms 'just to be safe'. This phenomenon (OCD protection of OTA) could be no different a precaution than making sure your RAM is as clear as possible. That's all I'm saying here, bro. It blows my mind that both and you and Mama have been able to use OTA to upgrade from a jailbroken state. That would obviously give cause to question the ubiquity of my claim. No problem there.
    ugh, not the percentages again. My head hurts.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (02-25-2013)

Excellent question and point

ugh, not the percentages again. My head hurts.
    Lol!!! Sorry, bro!

As far as why the evasion team would include it would be for two reasons. One MJ points to : "double protection". The other reason is what I pointed out. Just like Pinoy and Krima (and I) are a little OCD about ram the evasion team would be overcautious about OTA because of older iOS 4 and prior issues.

Thanks

Lol!!! Sorry, bro!

As far as why the evasion team would include it would be for two reasons. One MJ points to : "double protection". The other reason is what I pointed out. Just like Pinoy and Krima (and I) are a little OCD about ram the evasion team would be overcautious about OTA because of older iOS 4 and prior issues.
    I'm not too sure tbh. I've heard both sides, never tried myself. I've also heard trying to do it can leave you In recovery which would mean a restore is needed. Maybe that is why they added it to evasi0n.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (02-25-2013)

I'm not too sure tbh. I've heard both sides, never tried myself. I've also heard trying to do it can leave you In recovery which would mean a restore is needed. Maybe that is why they added it to evasi0n.
    Mine was a bootloop from hell and not even the SBSettings safe mode with the volume button would do a darn thing.

Page 4 of 92 FirstFirst ... 23456 14 54 ... LastLast