+ Reply
Page 18 of 91 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 28 68 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 1802

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: The Great Debate

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
Originally Posted by Simon Really not needed. It's not his real name. It's his member name. If he wants it all lower case that's his decision. Nothing uneducated or disrespectful
...
  1. #341
    ----NewD 2.0---- NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,577
    Thanks
    3,952
    Thanked 8,720 Times in 4,403 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Really not needed. It's not his real name. It's his member name. If he wants it all lower case that's his decision. Nothing uneducated or disrespectful about it. Tons of members have all lower case member names. My first member name here was x98car. I think someone calling me X98car back then would have just looked silly.
    Not to people who grew up in my generation, Simon.. I would have used the capital X.. Just 2nd nature. .. But I respect people's requests. But his original reasoning was my 'shouting at him' by all capitals. That argument doesn't hold water. But I'm content to use "dsg" - no sweat.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  2. #342
    dsg
    dsg is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life dsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,811
    Thanks
    3,413
    Thanked 1,932 Times in 755 Posts

    all caps on a forum or email is classed as shouting, Netiquette
    Last edited by dsg; 06-19-2013 at 10:53 PM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

    look here all grammar police, indulge me.

  3. #343
    ----NewD 2.0---- NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,577
    Thanks
    3,952
    Thanked 8,720 Times in 4,403 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    all caps on a forum is classed as shouting, Netiquette
    Please don't quote an opinion blog at About.com as if its authoritative. Very few would subscribe to that very old notion now. Capitals are used all the time on forums and this forum and has no perception or intent of any kind as shouting.

    We can just stop here by agreeing to disagree. But there is no forum rule against capitals either. Just know - that when I'm using capitals I'm NOT shouting. Just emphasizing or "setting off" certain comments. All good, bro!
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 06-19-2013 at 11:01 PM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  4. #344
    dsg
    dsg is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life dsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,811
    Thanks
    3,413
    Thanked 1,932 Times in 755 Posts

    ok, I didn't use About.com as authoritative, just a link so you could see the meaning

    Edit: I still regard it as valid like you regard the first letter of a name should be capitalised, we all have something I guess
    Last edited by dsg; 06-19-2013 at 11:08 PM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

    look here all grammar police, indulge me.

  5. #345
    ----NewD 2.0---- NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,577
    Thanks
    3,952
    Thanked 8,720 Times in 4,403 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    ok, I didn't use About.com as authoritative, just a link so you could see the meaning

    Edit: I still regard it as valid like you regard the first letter of a name should be capitalised, we all have something I guess
    Yep. Agreed.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  6. #346
    Super Galactic Moderator Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omicron Persei Eight
    Posts
    5,680
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 570 Times in 521 Posts

    Can we stop making mountains out of molehills please?!

    Ironically, I typed this post solely using capital letters. Huzzah regexp!
    Last edited by Orby; 06-19-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Because my grammar teacher came and yelled at me for poor adverb placement. D:

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

    Alfroggy (06-20-2013), dsg (06-20-2013), Jato_BZ (06-19-2013)

  8. #347
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,351
    Thanks
    6,724
    Thanked 15,052 Times in 6,933 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Not to people who grew up in my generation, Simon.. I would have used the capital X.. Just 2nd nature. .. But I respect people's requests. But his original reasoning was my 'shouting at him' by all capitals. That argument doesn't hold water. But I'm content to use "dsg" - no sweat.
    People in your generation didn't have the internet. There was no such thing as user names. On the internet it can be seen as disrespectful to not type someone's username exactly how they have it. Obviously that was not your intent though and you didn't use all capitals so I don't understand the shouting argument either.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

    Krima (06-20-2013)

  10. #348
    Full Moon Krima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nashville, Tn
    Posts
    3,051
    Thanks
    3,879
    Thanked 7,542 Times in 2,383 Posts

    Dammit, it looks like I missed some completely pointless and yet completely AWESOME.

    Sorry grant I missed this. Wait, do I cap your first letter or last? I'm so confused now.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

    Simon (06-20-2013)

  12. #349
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,351
    Thanks
    6,724
    Thanked 15,052 Times in 6,933 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    Dammit, it looks like I missed some completely pointless and yet completely AWESOME.

    Sorry grant I missed this. Wait, do I cap your first letter or last? I'm so confused now.
    You didn't miss it. I have a feeling could just be getting started lol

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

    Krima (06-20-2013)

  14. #350
    Full Moon Krima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nashville, Tn
    Posts
    3,051
    Thanks
    3,879
    Thanked 7,542 Times in 2,383 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    You didn't miss it. I have a feeling could just be getting started lol
    I hope your right buddy.

  15. #351
    ----NewD 2.0---- NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,577
    Thanks
    3,952
    Thanked 8,720 Times in 4,403 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    People in your generation didn't have the internet. There was no such thing as user names. On the internet it can be seen as disrespectful to not type someone's username exactly how they have it.
    So on emails and texts to family, friends and coworkers, you dont capitalize the first letter of their first name? Nonsense, simon. (see how stupid that looks to use a lower case letter after that comma for a person's 'screen NAME'.. It's still a "name", bro, and as a rule first letter should be capitalized as in all corresponsence.
    ... and you didn't use all capitals
    In fairness to dsg, yes I did. I edited my post from DSG to Dsg after he mentioned it.
    so I don't understand the shouting argument either.
    Thx for understanding..

    Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    I hope your right buddy.
    How 'bout "hope YOU'RE right", instead of "YOUR right", bro..
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  16. #352
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,351
    Thanks
    6,724
    Thanked 15,052 Times in 6,933 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    So on emails and texts to family, friends and coworkers, you dont capitalize the first letter of their first name? Nonsense, simon. (see how stupid that looks to use a lower case letter after that comma for a person's 'screen NAME'.. It's still a "name", bro, and as a rule first letter should be capitalized as in all corresponsence.
    In fairness to dsg, yes I did. I edited my post from DSG to Dsg after he mentioned it. Thx for understanding..

    How 'bout "hope YOU'RE right", instead of "YOUR right", bro..
    Emails and texts to family members have nothing to do with someone's screen name on a forum. Not a very good comparison, losing your touch?

    Using me as an example is a little different since my username is my real name. It is also a capital S in my username so my argument that it is polite to type someone's screen name exactly how they have it still holds true. If your screen name was newdestinyx I would type it like that in posts. However if I was calling you by your real name in a post I would of course type it with a capital G for Grant.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

    Krima (06-20-2013)

  18. #353
    Full Moon Krima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nashville, Tn
    Posts
    3,051
    Thanks
    3,879
    Thanked 7,542 Times in 2,383 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    How 'bout "hope YOU'RE right", instead of "YOUR right", bro..
    How about you say "about" instead of "bout" and call me "Bro" and not "bro". Lol

    I hope u can at least recognize how silly this is man. Forums, text, twitter, etc aren't subjected to the same rules as a formal email. To harp on this one area and dismiss so many other things is just plain stupid to me.

    It just comes across as wanting to be so right about something that you don't care what that something is. Just my opinion

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

    Simon (06-20-2013)

  20. #354
    2k1
    2k1 is offline
    Sug Luv Super Moderator 2k1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hammond Louisiana
    Posts
    34,051
    Thanks
    1,815
    Thanked 7,062 Times in 4,204 Posts

    I think we need a hug

  21. #355
    ----NewD 2.0---- NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,577
    Thanks
    3,952
    Thanked 8,720 Times in 4,403 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Emails and texts to family members have nothing to do with someone's screen name on a forum. Not a very good comparison, losing your touch?
    Like I said Simon its a generational thing. I don't expect you to embrace it or even "get it". Not losing my touch at all. You just have no cultural reference point - therefore easy to dismiss by you. You're making an artificial distinction between forum/social media and "official email". Weak argument bro IMHO- as many of the youngest generation think email is "something their parents do". Forums, Twitter, Facebook are some folks' only formal communication.

    I will grant you the 'real name' versus 'screen name' argument to a point. But to people my age.. ANY addressing of a person is - it's just more polite to capitalize first letter. I've done it for the entire time I've been here as do others and I've never been challenged. And many of the 'kids' here call me "newd".. I never say anything about it..

    grant

    Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    How about you say "about" instead of "bout" and call me "Bro" and not "bro". Lol

    I hope u can at least recognize how silly this is man. Forums, text, twitter, etc aren't subjected to the same rules as a formal email. To harp on this one area and dismiss so many other things is just plain stupid to me.

    It just comes across as wanting to be so right about something that you don't care what that something is. Just my opinion
    This is your dismissive perspective to almost all of my arguments, krima.. so I've grown sorta deaf to this input. Sorry bro. But hey, GOOD to cyu!

    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    I think we need a hug
    Thanks, 2K..
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 06-20-2013 at 09:04 AM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  22. #356
    Full Moon Krima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nashville, Tn
    Posts
    3,051
    Thanks
    3,879
    Thanked 7,542 Times in 2,383 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post

    This is your dismissive perspective to almost all of my arguments, krima.. so I've grown sorta deaf to this input. Sorry bro. But hey, GOOD to cyu!

    Thanks, 2K..
    It's my perspective almost all the time because your behavior is consistent and therefore my arguments are as well.

  23. #357
    ----NewD 2.0---- NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,577
    Thanks
    3,952
    Thanked 8,720 Times in 4,403 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    It's my perspective almost all the time because your behavior is consistent and therefore my arguments are as well.
    My opinions are always well considered and intended to educate those onlookers. You can choose to learn or dismiss. You almost always choose to dismiss.. And therefore you never learn and grow, Krima. As my dad used to say.. "Wise up!.."
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  24. #358
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,351
    Thanks
    6,724
    Thanked 15,052 Times in 6,933 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Like I said Simon its a generational thing. I don't expect you to embrace it or even "get it". Not losing my touch at all. You just have no cultural reference point - therefore easy to dismiss by you. You're making an artificial distinction between forum/social media and "official email". Weak argument bro IMHO- as many of the youngest generation think email is "something their parents do". Forums, Twitter, Facebook are some folks' only formal communication.

    I will grant you the 'real name' versus 'screen name' argument to a point. But to people my age.. ANY addressing of a person is - it's just more polite to capitalize first letter. I've done it for the entire time I've been here as do others and I've never been challenged. And many of the 'kids' here call me "newd".. I never say anything about it..

    grant

    This is your dismissive perspective to almost all of my arguments, krima.. so I've grown sorta deaf to this input. Sorry bro. But hey, GOOD to cyu!

    Thanks, 2K..
    IMO your argument is weak. There is no comparison between an email to family/friends and posting on a public forum under a made up name. Nothing artificial about the difference at all. Seems to me you are grasping at straws with that and continually saying it's a generation thing. I'm not a child (but I do have 3 of them). I'm 33, I grew up in the age before the internet also and know very well what you speak of in terms of always capitalizing someone's first name. On forums where most people don't have their real names to identify them the proper way of addressing them is writing their name exactly how they have set it as.

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    My opinions are always well considered and intended to educate those onlookers. You can choose to learn or dismiss. You almost always choose to dismiss.. And therefore you never learn and grow, Krima. As my dad used to say.. "Wise up!.."
    I could say the same to you. Time to learn and grow. Show everyone that an old dog can indeed learn new tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    I think we need a hug
    I'm not quite sure how to address you. How do I type a capital 2?

  25. #359
    dsg
    dsg is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life dsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,811
    Thanks
    3,413
    Thanked 1,932 Times in 755 Posts

    I just meant shouting my name at me, lol.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

    look here all grammar police, indulge me.

  26. #360
    ----NewD 2.0---- NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,577
    Thanks
    3,952
    Thanked 8,720 Times in 4,403 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    I just meant shouting my name at me, lol.
    We've already dismissed that argument as weak, dsg!! Lol !! (jk)..

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    IMO your argument is weak. There is no comparison between an email to family/friends and posting on a public forum under a made up name. Nothing artificial about the difference at all. Seems to me you are grasping at straws with that and continually saying it's a generation thing. I'm not a child (but I do have 3 of them). I'm 33, I grew up in the age before the internet also and know very well what you speak of in terms of always capitalizing someone's first name. On forums where most people don't have their real names to identify them the proper way of addressing them is writing their name exactly how they have set it as.
    We're at the agree to disagree point, Simon. As I said - you have no generational context on which to discern my argument. I can't make you see something "you weren't taught" comin' up. My argument is weak only to a person from a different frame of context. - like trying to tell the Taliban of the benefits of democratic freedoms. Not gonna happen.. I can appreciate the distinction you're trying to make, but it's artificial as the same people you're referring to who supposedly "get it" will refer to me as "grant" - all the time. There's a loss of formality (and politeness) in the GenX generation and beyond. It is what it is.

    I could say the same to you. Time to learn and grow. Show everyone that an old dog can indeed learn new tricks
    You only need to "learn and grow" in the knowledge of things "valuable" and "noble" - not base. The loss of cordiality in common society is not something I wish to learn and grow in. Quite the opposite. I want to challenge society in such things.

    The basis for referring to dsg in the future with all lower case - is out of 'respect for his/her' wishes. That's something to value, bro.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 06-20-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

    dsg (06-20-2013)

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts