+ Reply
Page 18 of 91 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 28 68 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Great Debate

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
Originally Posted by Simon Really not needed. It's not his real name. It's his member name. If he wants it all lower case that's his decision. Nothing uneducated or disrespectful
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,720 Times in 4,403 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Really not needed. It's not his real name. It's his member name. If he wants it all lower case that's his decision. Nothing uneducated or disrespectful about it. Tons of members have all lower case member names. My first member name here was x98car. I think someone calling me X98car back then would have just looked silly.
    Not to people who grew up in my generation, Simon.. I would have used the capital X.. Just 2nd nature. .. But I respect people's requests. But his original reasoning was my 'shouting at him' by all capitals. That argument doesn't hold water. But I'm content to use "dsg" - no sweat.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,932 Times in 755 Posts

all caps on a forum or email is classed as shouting, Netiquette
    Last edited by dsg; 06-19-2013 at 10:53 PM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    all caps on a forum is classed as shouting, Netiquette
    Please don't quote an opinion blog at About.com as if its authoritative. Very few would subscribe to that very old notion now. Capitals are used all the time on forums and this forum and has no perception or intent of any kind as shouting.

We can just stop here by agreeing to disagree. But there is no forum rule against capitals either. Just know - that when I'm using capitals I'm NOT shouting. Just emphasizing or "setting off" certain comments. All good, bro!
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 06-19-2013 at 11:01 PM.

dsg
    Thanks

ok, I didn't use About.com as authoritative, just a link so you could see the meaning

Edit: I still regard it as valid like you regard the first letter of a name should be capitalised, we all have something I guess
    Last edited by dsg; 06-19-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks

ok, I didn't use About.com as authoritative, just a link so you could see the meaning

Edit: I still regard it as valid like you regard the first letter of a name should be capitalised, we all have something I guess
    Yep. Agreed.

Thanks

Can we stop making mountains out of molehills please?!

Ironically, I typed this post solely using capital letters. Huzzah regexp!
    Last edited by Orby; 06-19-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Because my grammar teacher came and yelled at me for poor adverb placement. D:

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (06-20-2013), dsg (06-20-2013), Jato_BZ (06-19-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,052 Times in 6,933 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Not to people who grew up in my generation, Simon.. I would have used the capital X.. Just 2nd nature. .. But I respect people's requests. But his original reasoning was my 'shouting at him' by all capitals. That argument doesn't hold water. But I'm content to use "dsg" - no sweat.
    People in your generation didn't have the internet. There was no such thing as user names. On the internet it can be seen as disrespectful to not type someone's username exactly how they have it. Obviously that was not your intent though and you didn't use all capitals so I don't understand the shouting argument either.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Krima (06-20-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,542 Times in 2,383 Posts

Dammit, it looks like I missed some completely pointless and yet completely AWESOME.

Sorry grant I missed this. Wait, do I cap your first letter or last? I'm so confused now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

Simon (06-20-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    Dammit, it looks like I missed some completely pointless and yet completely AWESOME.

Sorry grant I missed this. Wait, do I cap your first letter or last? I'm so confused now.
    You didn't miss it. I have a feeling could just be getting started lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Krima (06-20-2013)

Thanks

You didn't miss it. I have a feeling could just be getting started lol
    I hope your right buddy.

Thanks

People in your generation didn't have the internet. There was no such thing as user names. On the internet it can be seen as disrespectful to not type someone's username exactly how they have it.
    So on emails and texts to family, friends and coworkers, you dont capitalize the first letter of their first name? Nonsense, simon. (see how stupid that looks to use a lower case letter after that comma for a person's 'screen NAME'.. It's still a "name", bro, and as a rule first letter should be capitalized as in all corresponsence.
    ... and you didn't use all capitals
    In fairness to dsg, yes I did. I edited my post from DSG to Dsg after he mentioned it.
    so I don't understand the shouting argument either.
    Thx for understanding..

I hope your right buddy.
    How 'bout "hope YOU'RE right", instead of "YOUR right", bro..

Thanks

So on emails and texts to family, friends and coworkers, you dont capitalize the first letter of their first name? Nonsense, simon. (see how stupid that looks to use a lower case letter after that comma for a person's 'screen NAME'.. It's still a "name", bro, and as a rule first letter should be capitalized as in all corresponsence.
    In fairness to dsg, yes I did. I edited my post from DSG to Dsg after he mentioned it. Thx for understanding..

Emails and texts to family members have nothing to do with someone's screen name on a forum. Not a very good comparison, losing your touch?

Using me as an example is a little different since my username is my real name. It is also a capital S in my username so my argument that it is polite to type someone's screen name exactly how they have it still holds true. If your screen name was newdestinyx I would type it like that in posts. However if I was calling you by your real name in a post I would of course type it with a capital G for Grant.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Krima (06-20-2013)

Thanks

How about you say "about" instead of "bout" and call me "Bro" and not "bro". Lol

I hope u can at least recognize how silly this is man. Forums, text, twitter, etc aren't subjected to the same rules as a formal email. To harp on this one area and dismiss so many other things is just plain stupid to me.

It just comes across as wanting to be so right about something that you don't care what that something is. Just my opinion

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

Simon (06-20-2013)

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,062 Times in 4,204 Posts

I think we need a hug

Thanks

Emails and texts to family members have nothing to do with someone's screen name on a forum. Not a very good comparison, losing your touch?
    Like I said Simon its a generational thing. I don't expect you to embrace it or even "get it". Not losing my touch at all. You just have no cultural reference point - therefore easy to dismiss by you. You're making an artificial distinction between forum/social media and "official email". Weak argument bro IMHO- as many of the youngest generation think email is "something their parents do". Forums, Twitter, Facebook are some folks' only formal communication.

I will grant you the 'real name' versus 'screen name' argument to a point. But to people my age.. ANY addressing of a person is - it's just more polite to capitalize first letter. I've done it for the entire time I've been here as do others and I've never been challenged. And many of the 'kids' here call me "newd".. I never say anything about it..

grant

How about you say "about" instead of "bout" and call me "Bro" and not "bro". Lol

I hope u can at least recognize how silly this is man. Forums, text, twitter, etc aren't subjected to the same rules as a formal email. To harp on this one area and dismiss so many other things is just plain stupid to me.

It just comes across as wanting to be so right about something that you don't care what that something is. Just my opinion
    This is your dismissive perspective to almost all of my arguments, krima.. so I've grown sorta deaf to this input. Sorry bro. But hey, GOOD to cyu!

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    I think we need a hug
    Thanks, 2K..
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 06-20-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Thanks

This is your dismissive perspective to almost all of my arguments, krima.. so I've grown sorta deaf to this input. Sorry bro. But hey, GOOD to cyu!

Thanks, 2K..
    It's my perspective almost all the time because your behavior is consistent and therefore my arguments are as well.

Thanks

It's my perspective almost all the time because your behavior is consistent and therefore my arguments are as well.
    My opinions are always well considered and intended to educate those onlookers. You can choose to learn or dismiss. You almost always choose to dismiss.. And therefore you never learn and grow, Krima. As my dad used to say.. "Wise up!.."

Thanks

Like I said Simon its a generational thing. I don't expect you to embrace it or even "get it". Not losing my touch at all. You just have no cultural reference point - therefore easy to dismiss by you. You're making an artificial distinction between forum/social media and "official email". Weak argument bro IMHO- as many of the youngest generation think email is "something their parents do". Forums, Twitter, Facebook are some folks' only formal communication.

I will grant you the 'real name' versus 'screen name' argument to a point. But to people my age.. ANY addressing of a person is - it's just more polite to capitalize first letter. I've done it for the entire time I've been here as do others and I've never been challenged. And many of the 'kids' here call me "newd".. I never say anything about it..

grant

Thanks, 2K..
    IMO your argument is weak. There is no comparison between an email to family/friends and posting on a public forum under a made up name. Nothing artificial about the difference at all. Seems to me you are grasping at straws with that and continually saying it's a generation thing. I'm not a child (but I do have 3 of them). I'm 33, I grew up in the age before the internet also and know very well what you speak of in terms of always capitalizing someone's first name. On forums where most people don't have their real names to identify them the proper way of addressing them is writing their name exactly how they have set it as.

My opinions are always well considered and intended to educate those onlookers. You can choose to learn or dismiss. You almost always choose to dismiss.. And therefore you never learn and grow, Krima. As my dad used to say.. "Wise up!.."
    I could say the same to you. Time to learn and grow. Show everyone that an old dog can indeed learn new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    I think we need a hug
    I'm not quite sure how to address you. How do I type a capital 2?

dsg
    Thanks

I just meant shouting my name at me, lol.

Thanks

I just meant shouting my name at me, lol.
    We've already dismissed that argument as weak, dsg!! Lol !! (jk)..

IMO your argument is weak. There is no comparison between an email to family/friends and posting on a public forum under a made up name. Nothing artificial about the difference at all. Seems to me you are grasping at straws with that and continually saying it's a generation thing. I'm not a child (but I do have 3 of them). I'm 33, I grew up in the age before the internet also and know very well what you speak of in terms of always capitalizing someone's first name. On forums where most people don't have their real names to identify them the proper way of addressing them is writing their name exactly how they have set it as.
    We're at the agree to disagree point, Simon. As I said - you have no generational context on which to discern my argument. I can't make you see something "you weren't taught" comin' up. My argument is weak only to a person from a different frame of context. - like trying to tell the Taliban of the benefits of democratic freedoms. Not gonna happen.. I can appreciate the distinction you're trying to make, but it's artificial as the same people you're referring to who supposedly "get it" will refer to me as "grant" - all the time. There's a loss of formality (and politeness) in the GenX generation and beyond. It is what it is.

I could say the same to you. Time to learn and grow. Show everyone that an old dog can indeed learn new tricks
    You only need to "learn and grow" in the knowledge of things "valuable" and "noble" - not base. The loss of cordiality in common society is not something I wish to learn and grow in. Quite the opposite. I want to challenge society in such things.

The basis for referring to dsg in the future with all lower case - is out of 'respect for his/her' wishes. That's something to value, bro.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 06-20-2013 at 09:55 AM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

dsg (06-20-2013)