Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help picking a PS3 for jailbreaking

Default Need help picking a PS3 for jailbreaking
    Hello,

I am looking into getting a PS3 for jailbreaking because I'm tired of being stuck with a PS2 and I have no idea what ps3 I should get. I have looked at comparison and compatibility charts but they just confused me What PS3s can I get that would be compatible with a jailbreak, and have backwards compatibility with both PS1 and PS2 games, even if it must be jailbroken to get it. Please be specific about them because I might just ask it for christmas and I am going to need the model number. Thanks.

Anyone? Can someone just please help?

didnt playstation ban and remove the jailbreak for it? i dont have one so idk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buckysam View Post
    Hello,

I am looking into getting a PS3 for jailbreaking because I'm tired of being stuck with a PS2 and I have no idea what ps3 I should get. I have looked at comparison and compatibility charts but they just confused me What PS3s can I get that would be compatible with a jailbreak, and have backwards compatibility with both PS1 and PS2 games, even if it must be jailbroken to get it. Please be specific about them because I might just ask it for christmas and I am going to need the model number. Thanks.
    Good luck, they haven't made the PS3s that have backwards compatibility with PS2 games for years. All PS3s have PSOne compatibility. OtherOS is trickier, as it requires a custom PS3 firmware, and THAT requires a downgrade to system version 3.55 (IIRC).

To get the whole kit and caboodle: you'll need a CECHA (xx), CECHBxx, CECHCxx, or CECHExx model. They're all the old-style "fat" PS3s, and were discontinued October 2007.

To just get a downgradable/jailbreakable PS3: the last model that MAY be exploitable is CECH-25xx (all mentioned before, plus any CECH-20xx and CECH-21xx). It won't have OtherOS, but it can be patched back in. Those models were discontinued March 2011, with the last batch of exploitable devices made in December 2010.

NOTE: PS3s are not my strong suit, take this advice with a hefty grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Good luck, they haven't made the PS3s that have backwards compatibility with PS2 games for years. All PS3s have PSOne compatibility. OtherOS is trickier, as it requires a custom PS3 firmware, and THAT requires a downgrade to system version 3.55 (IIRC).

To get the whole kit and caboodle: you'll need a CECHA (xx), CECHBxx, CECHCxx, or CECHExx model. They're all the old-style "fat" PS3s, and were discontinued October 2007.

To just get a downgradable/jailbreakable PS3: the last model that MAY be exploitable is CECH-25xx (all mentioned before, plus any CECH-20xx and CECH-21xx). It won't have OtherOS, but it can be patched back in. Those models were discontinued March 2011, with the last batch of exploitable devices made in December 2010.

NOTE: PS3s are not my strong suit, take this advice with a hefty grain of salt.
    Could you maybe post a couple of pictures of the PS3's so I can see what they look like?

He is basically saying the big models. The ones that have a gloss finish and are big.

Thanks

There y'all go. Again, good luck.

Ok, I think I get an idea. I'll see if I can find any. And what did you say was the model number for the most recent PS3 that was released that can be jailbroken? Is it a PS3 slim?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buckysam View Post
    Ok, I think I get an idea. I'll see if I can find any. And what did you say was the model number for the most recent PS3 that was released that can be jailbroken? Is it a PS3 slim?
    It is a Slim. The model number's up in the earlier post (CECH-25.. is hit-or-miss, CECH-21.. and CECH-20.. are at least downgrade eligible).

Thanks
    Good luck, man. You have a long and hard road ahead of you for sure.

I got old fat but the disc drive is broken so can't be up for selling that. Also cech 25xx model.

Neither of them have I jailbroken because I game like crazy on them.