+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Who would win; the current 2012 menís basketball team or the 1992 dream team?

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
    Thanks
    Question Who would win; the current 2012 menís basketball team or the 1992 dream team?
    I was playing an awesome Olympics game (which I will link to below) which of course made me a little more interested in the Olympics. I went on Twitter and saw that Kobe Bryant had said something to the tune of ďThe current USA Olympics team is better than any USA Olympic team to ever competeĒ. That may not be the exact quote, but itís very close to what he said.

Hereís the link to that Olympics game I was playing, before I forget to give you all the link:

iTunes Link: London 2012 - Official Mobile Game for iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad (3rd generation) and iPad Wi-Fi + 4G on the iTunes App Store

There is also a premium version: London 2012 - Official Mobile Game (Premium) for iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad (3rd generation) and iPad Wi-Fi + 4G on the iTunes App Store
    Anyways, Iím just wondering what everyone else thinks. Here is how the rosters stack up:

1992 Dream Team:

Michael Jordan
    Scottie Pippen
    Larry Bird
    Karl Malone
    Patrick Ewing
    Clyde Drexler
    John Stockton
    Charles Barkley
    Magic Johnson
    Christian Laettner
    David Robinson
    Chris Mullin

2012 US Olympic Menís Team Roster:

Carmelo Anthony
    Deron Williams
    Kobe Bryant
    Russel Westbrook
    Chris Paul
    Kevin Love
    LeBron James
    Andre Iguodala
    James Harden
    Kevin Durant
    Anthony Davis
    Tyson Chandler

Now, in my honest opinion, there is no way the 2012 team could possibly beat the 1992 team. As a matter of fact, I think that it would be an utter blow out. The last I saw, Michael Jordan did have a reply for Kobe Bryant and Magic Johnson also has a comment for Kobe, as well:

Jordan: I absolutely laughed. For him to compare those two teams is not one of the smarter things he ever could have done. I imagine heís trying to legitimize his own Dream Team, but to me itís not even a question what team is better.

Magic Johnson: I laughed as well, the 1992 Dream Team had 11 hall of famers, 23 championship rings and the greatest player of all time in Jordan. No chance this years team would take us. Our í92 team had too many winners, were too smart and too competitive to lose to Kobe and the 2012 team. I am excited to watch them though.

So, in your honest opinion, who do you think would have won? Iím very interested to see what everyone has to say.

Thanks

Chuck Liddell

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

92 dream team would kill the 2012 on pure size alone. That is the current teams weakness not that each individual arent some of the best player to play the game but USA better watch out Spain has a good chance of taking it this year
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks
    Thanked 15,080 Times in 6,936 Posts

Dream team would win 9 out of 10 games. I dont think they would all be blow outs, but they were definitely better. Hard to compare stats and stuff though since this current team has MUCH harder competition than the dream team had.

Thanks

You guys, chuck Liddell would win hands down...

Thanks

I'm afraid to say the original Dream Team would pound the 2012 reiteration.

While the individual talent on both rosters is roughly equivalent and the best in the world during its era (with the notable omissions of Dwight Howard and Dwayne Wade on the '12 roster), the '92 team played shockingly selflessly and had better distribution of talent across positions. The '12 team is crazy stacked at 1 and 3 (CP3 and Williams, Westbrook and Harden is a true 1; Melo, Bron-Bron, Iguodala, and KD at 3). At 2, they've only got Kobe (Harden and Iguodala can play it, but they're not Kobe... or Drexler... or MJ); 4 and 5 they've only got Chandler, Davis, and Love between the two spots.

The '92 dream team didn't win a game by less than 30 points during the Olympics or Tournament of the Americas. 2012 is facing much stiffer competition, but they aren't dominating teams the same way they should be if they want to make that same claim.

Thanks

I am actually surprised they beat Spain yesterday by as much as they did. Spain is defiantly the strongest team they will face. But I was surprised that USA handled there size so well. By trapping the point guard it really shut Spain down

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

Something tells me Spain didn't put their full effort into yesterday's game.

Thanks

I agree

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No doubt... the Dream Team is the Dream Team... its a long way to go for the current team.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I'm afraid to say the original Dream Team would pound the 2012 reiteration.

While the individual talent on both rosters is roughly equivalent and the best in the world during its era (with the notable omissions of Dwight Howard and Dwayne Wade on the '12 roster), the '92 team played shockingly selflessly and had better distribution of talent across positions. The '12 team is crazy stacked at 1 and 3 (CP3 and Williams, Westbrook and Harden is a true 1; Melo, Bron-Bron, Iguodala, and KD at 3). At 2, they've only got Kobe (Harden and Iguodala can play it, but they're not Kobe... or Drexler... or MJ); 4 and 5 they've only got Chandler, Davis, and Love between the two spots.

The '92 dream team didn't win a game by less than 30 points during the Olympics or Tournament of the Americas. 2012 is facing much stiffer competition, but they aren't dominating teams the same way they should be if they want to make that same claim.
    That's absolutely insane. The size of the 92 team would be too much to handle for the 2012 team.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TTGSteve View Post
    That's absolutely insane. The size of the 92 team would be too much to handle for the 2012 team.
    He said the dream team would "pound" them. What is insane about his post?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    He said the dream team would "pound" them. What is insane about his post?
    I think he was referring to the O.G. Dream Team's margins of victory (boldfaced). To win everything by 30+ points is rather... shocking.

Thanks

I think he was referring to the O.G. Dream Team's margins of victory (boldfaced). To win everything by 30+ points is rather... shocking.
    Whoops, that's what I get for looking at it on the app lol. Didnt see the bold part

Thanks
    Yep! That's what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Whoops, that's what I get for looking at it on the app lol. Didnt see the bold part
    LOL!