+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhonemodding Spam on MMi Repo

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
Okay, maybe someone can explain this to me: why is there like 3,000 themes by someone named "maXimus" on the MMi repo? They're not even full themes - as far
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,749 Times in 867 Posts

Default iPhonemodding Spam on MMi Repo
    Okay, maybe someone can explain this to me: why is there like 3,000 themes by someone named "maXimus" on the MMi repo? They're not even full themes - as far as I can tell they're just lockscreens with a slider, and a halfassed description.

I checked out his website, iPhonemodding(.com), and it seems to be a cluttered jailbreak news site that hardly anyone visits.

Isn't this kind of thing classified as spam? It appears to only be on the repo in order to promote maXimus's website - or to generate ad revenue (like spam).

It's everywhere on the MMi repo. And just so we're clear, here's the definition of "spam":

"disruptive messages, especially commercial messages posted on a computer network or sent as e-mail."
    I would argue that yes, it is disruptive because it clutters up the repo, making valuable themes or mods harder to find. And it certainly seems to be commercial - at the bottom of each theme page it says that iPhoneModding sponsors MMi. What does that mean? It exists solely to generate ad revenue for MMi?

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

I'm not sure about that but I'm sure Kyle and Cody look over everthing that gits posted to that repo. Something them two would have to answer for sure.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

I looked through the repo, you're right about them being 'spammy'. They're hardly a theme at all.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.