+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What if we traveled outside the universe?

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
So technically it's impossible to reach the edge of space? If I understood correctly lol. I like to think the universe is a marble floating there in a blank space
    Thanks

So technically it's impossible to reach the edge of space?
    If I understood correctly lol.

I like to think the universe is a marble floating there in a blank space ever so expanding

Glad I'm still welcomed here
    I'll try and be more active and annoying from time to time

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

I would say it would be technically impossible to reach the edge because of the possibly how fast it is expanding.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    And where is your theory/input on this then One?
    I am an engineer, I don't do theory. What isn't fact is fiction until proven otherwise.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 857 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    I am an engineer, I don't do theory. What isn't fact is fiction until proven otherwise.
    I kinda used to think the same way when I was younger. I'm pretty sure it was a reflection of my critical thinking skills at the time.

Humans create facts - facts don't create humans. A 'fact' is nothing more than a collective agreement - so you don't believe something unless someone else tells you it's real? You can't decide for yourself? Of course you can.

Engineers create. The singular purpose of an engineer is to bring something into being that had not existed before (art and science are one and the same, really). How can you do that if you only rely on things that were previously decreed as accepted by the collective? To create takes imagination and creative thinking - two things that don't rely on 'facts'. To create is to be human, and to be human is to be abstract, and abstractions are not facts.

I think, therefore I am, right? If a group of people walked up to you and told you you were made entirely of pudding, would you believe them? My guess is that you'd deny it. Such is the danger of putting too much faith in the collective.
    Last edited by Jahooba; 03-02-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks

OK this thread is now over One1 has entered it. Its no longer fun.

Just delete this thread.
    EDM

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeal For This Useful Post:

Cer0 (03-02-2012)

Thanks

oh! that would be cool! i would like to try it!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, I will put my thoughts in...

In my opinion, the "What isn't fact is fiction until proven otherwise." statement is somewhat lacking. For instance: God and Santa Clause. People have the courage to compare both. However, people have proved that Santa Clause is not real but a fantasy Christmas story that is based on an actual real-life story of a guy who helped children (not sure how the story went). But the original story is actually true. It's been validated. However, the story of Jesus....people have been debating about it for centuries. People use the bible to prove its truth and authenticity. Yet, people ask "how authentic is it?" and then try their hardest to say "it's all a fantasy and a myth" and yet people are unable to prove that Jesus is a fantasy.

So back to "What isn't fact is fiction until proven otherwise." How can we validate what is "fiction"? How can we validate what "fact"? We can say "we base our decision on blablabla". Yea, we can use any source we want to make ourselves feel good and accurate, however we'll still look like ignorant human beings.

The point is we are all ignorant human beings who know absolutely nothing except for what we have experienced, learned, and otherwise believe in. Scientists with the highest degrees who have published their own books claim to be right and yet they get confused all the time. In my opinion, anything is possible. I honestly don't think we can travel outside our universe for two reasons. We would need an oxygen tank big enough to provide us with oxygen in going to the outer limits of the universe and then back home. Also, universe is defined as having time. Outside the universe, there is no time. Outside the marble that we live in is a whole nother dimension. Time is just something we use to calculate our galaxy. Maybe in another universes, the law of physics is rewritten and things are different.

Thanks

all this stuff is way past my meager sophmore science.
    I would have to say though that i dont think we can go outside the universe cause its expanding to fast, like cero said.
    And the guy above makes a good point. we really dont know anything about anything.
    I mean, our methods of proving things to be true are pretty bad. We could be wrong about everything. I mean, who really knows how accurate (or IMO, inaccurate) radiometric dating is.
    but whatever. We don't even begin to understand stuff. Why does gravity exist, how is it possible for it to not exist in some places?
    I really look forward to the next 70 or so years of my life, cause maybe we'll be able to do some really freaking awesome stuff.

And One1, what really is fact? its the human race's way of stating how true something is. And how do we know whats true? how do we know that what we call fact really is fact? how do we know how accurate our ways of testing fact are? we really don't.
    everything we say is fact in reality is just a guess that might work the way we say it does.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12