+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Slow/varying 3g speeds

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
Has anyone else ever seen this, and why would it be happening? In my neck o' the woods, I get about 2+ Mbps 3g speed on VZW, but when I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Slow/varying 3g speeds
    Has anyone else ever seen this, and why would it be happening? In my neck o' the woods, I get about 2+ Mbps 3g speed on VZW, but when I go across the way into 37075 the 3g speed slows down to about .30 Mbps or less. I don't know what a good speed on AT&T 3g is, but I had a friend with an AT&T iPhone test the speed in 37075 and it was about .7 down and .001 up. Could it be a tower issue, why would both Verizon Wireless and AT&T have slow speeds like that, what could cause such a huge variance of speed from 2 miles or so?
    If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tntgo View Post
    Has anyone else ever seen this, and why would it be happening? In my neck o' the woods, I get about 2+ Mbps 3g speed on VZW, but when I go across the way into 37075 the 3g speed slows down to about .30 Mbps or less. I don't know what a good speed on AT&T 3g is, but I had a friend with an AT&T iPhone test the speed in 37075 and it was about .7 down and .001 up. Could it be a tower issue, why would both Verizon Wireless and AT&T have slow speeds like that, what could cause such a huge variance of speed from 2 miles or so?
    You said it--different cell sites have different levels of connectivity to the rest of the network, different levels of congestion at different times of the day, and different topology affecting attenuation and diffusion.

That's all there is to it, really (unless y'all got the "throttling ultimatum" from Big Red. Then you're SOL).
    Last edited by Orby; 02-24-2012 at 06:51 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    You said it--different cell sites have different levels of connectivity to the rest of the network, different levels of congestion at different times of the day, and different topology affecting attenuation and diffusion.

That's all there is to it, really (unless y'all got the "throttling ultimatum" from Big Red. Then you're SOL).
    At least the Hendersonville tower can do somewhat 3g speeds, I can also pickup the Cottontown,TN tower from here(it actually has a stronger signal than Hendersonville) but for some reason whenever it switches to that tower I go into 1x mode, I have no idea why. I don't think I'm being throttled on verizon, although I have used a lot of data they have not said a peep about it. I know I'm not being throttled because I've tested different verizon phones in the same area and have achieved the same speeds.
    Last edited by tntgo; 02-28-2012 at 11:50 AM.
    If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough