Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My xbox RRoD'd. Any advice?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default My xbox RRoD'd. Any advice?
    Hey modders, I figured some of you will also have knowledge about the 360 and I was wondering if you could help me out. Here's what happened:

My 360 Elite RRoD'd a few days ago and is giving me error E74. I'm pretty sure the damn thing overheated and melted somewhere.

I do still want a 360. What's the best option? Sell it and replace it or get it repaired? I don't think my 360 is under warranty as it has been more than 3 years. Not looking to spend much; around $100 would be nice. It does have the 120gb hard drive also. I don't think that's compatible with the new slim models, so I probably shouldn't get one of those.

Thanks.
    Last edited by thunderwolf333; 02-04-2012 at 06:31 PM.

As far as fixing it, I have no clue. However, I did a quick searchtempest.com (craigslist search, only betterer) and found that, at least in my area, people are unloading these quite often. I saw prices from $150-$400. So, I would try there. Isn't there like no way to fix the RRoD?
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks

It can be fixed. The easiest way is to get some fine solder tips and a magnifying glass and find the bad solders. Which is usually what it is. I've seen people wrap a towel around them and turn them on for 10-15 minutes and that fixed them. I wouldn't recommend doing that but it's an option.

Thanks

Would that work for the e74 error though? I know that method is for 3 red quadrants but mine only has 1.
    what it usually looks like: -fimpm06fbvhdx7j.medium.jpg

this is mine:
    -xbox_360_e74_error_full.jpg

Thanks

Ok sorry I was thinking it was a 3/4 ring. The easiest way to fix that is to take the disk drive and cooling tunnel out. Once those are removed use a hair dryer (on hot setting) and heat up the GPU heatsink for about five minutes and reassemble. That should fix it usually does when I get them with this error.

The GPU heatsink is the flat one under the disk drive.
    Last edited by A3gOwner; 02-05-2012 at 12:20 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A3gOwner For This Useful Post:

thunderwolf333 (02-05-2012)

Thanks

I'll give that a try when I have the chance. I have disassembled a Wii so I think I could do it.
    If that fails though do I still have the option to Microsoft for repair or will they see that I opened it up and refuse to fix it?
    I checked around and if I send it to them it's $100 + shipping.

Thanks

If its not under warranty then it shouldn't matter.

1 red ring means one of two things:

1.) your hardware is fried (making it bricked, highly UNlikely)

2.) just some malfunction fromdust/heat. a3gowner had a good suggestion.

oh, if you were to get one of the new models, for like $10 online, you can get the transfer cable that plugs your old hard drive into the xbox via USB cable and copies everything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    Ok sorry I was thinking it was a 3/4 ring. The easiest way to fix that is to take the disk drive and cooling tunnel out. Once those are removed use a hair dryer (on hot setting) and heat up the GPU heatsink for about five minutes and reassemble. That should fix it usually does when I get them with this error.

The GPU heatsink is the flat one under the disk drive.
    You're a life saver dude! Followed your instructions after I followed a disassembly guide. I did end up breaking the tabs of the casing on the joint for the two sides because it just wouldn't come apart - no big deal though just cosmetic. I did the blow dryer on high for 5 min where the heatsink touches the motherboard and left it to cool for about 1 hour. Tried turning it on just now and she lives! Can't thank you enough!

Just wondering how can I prevent the error from coming back? Is this a pretty solid fix?
    I haven't put the case back on as yet - if I leave the case off will that help with over-heating or is the case designed for that?
    I keep my xbox in my tv console inlet maybe I should leave it outside this time.

You saved me at least $100 in repair. Thanks again!

Thanks

No problem. I can't tell you if it's a permanent fix or not but I've never had one come back after fixing this issue. I also fix ps3 and just about any electronic I can get my hands on. NEVER put your Xbox in an entertainment stand especially one with a back. They overheat way too easy that way. I'd leave it out where it can breathe. The case really isn't needed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to A3gOwner For This Useful Post:

thunderwolf333 (02-05-2012)

Thanks

Yep my tv console has a back. The only outlet is a hole for the wires. Should have been more careful! I'll leave the xbox on top instead of inside from now on. I think I'll leave the case off as well. You've been a great help.

Thanks

Cool. All I ask is you thank my posts. Glad it worked out for you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    Cool. All I ask is you thank my posts. Glad it worked out for you.
    First time I've ever seen an E74 fixed by reseating the GPU heatsink. Most of the time I see it it's a corrupt kernel or a bad XEX loader/image...

Huh. Neat stuff.
    Last edited by Orby; 02-05-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks

Spoke too soon, dead again... :'(

Thanks

Ok then first things first if you know someone with an Xbox borrow their video cable to rule out faulty cables.

If that don't work you need to check the video scaling chip (hana in newer xbox) and GPU connections at motherboard. If everything looks ok reapply thermal paste and reassemble.

If that don't work you need to check the solders for the GPU which can be tedious.

Thanks

I did rule out cables I had another hdmi cable and i also had the composite cable so that's not the problem.

how do you check the hana chip?