+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Android is awesome b/c it's Open!!! Oh wait...

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
I have a galaxy tab for android, a HD7 for WP7 and have a blackberry playbook on the way. I like playing with other OSes but always come back to
...
  1. #21
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,499
    Thanks
    6,794
    Thanked 15,197 Times in 6,977 Posts

    I have a galaxy tab for android, a HD7 for WP7 and have a blackberry playbook on the way. I like playing with other OSes but always come back to iOS.

  2. #22
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,077
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

    I just out MIUI on my galaxy s

  3. #23
    Super Moderator dale1v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,786
    Thanks
    335
    Thanked 394 Times in 268 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    I just out MIUI on my galaxy s
    i haven't done any modding to my S2 yet; I don't even know if I want to. Everything I want so far is already there, lol.I hear Touchwiz before the S2 was total crap, is this true?
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

  4. #24
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,077
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

    touchwiz in general sucks.... i do like the new touchwiz 4.0 tho but i just loaded sense on my galaxy s
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

  5. #25
    I'm not a star Imahottguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MI, USA
    Posts
    2,440
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 164 Times in 143 Posts

    Since all of my "smart" phones have always been iphones, I just can't get used to Android. It truly feels like a Dev version of a Linux phone. Meaning, the interface has absolutely no flow to it, like all of the elements where put in backwards. But then again having a hardware button that serves as a back button, and one that serves as a right click literally makes no sense. Obviously I have some heavy bias, but I am also a consumer. If Android wants more iConverts, then they are going to have to do a whole lot more than say that its better because it's open source. Honestly, I could give two craps about how "open" a mobile OS is. The average consumer doesn't realize that you still have to root Android just like iOS to get the cool geeky hacks that we all love. The only difference is that Apple plays cat and mouse. Also, the reason iOS is so un-open is so that a consistent user experience is all but guaranteed. A great example is that for Android, you have to actually get an app that will help better manage the open tasks, since the default multitasking slows down many devices greatly. I love the concept of Android, but the execution fails.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

  6. #26
    iPhone? More like MyPhone <(O)> Device's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Since all of my "smart" phones have always been iphones, I just can't get used to Android. It truly feels like a Dev version of a Linux phone. Meaning, the interface has absolutely no flow to it, like all of the elements where put in backwards. But then again having a hardware button that serves as a back button, and one that serves as a right click literally makes no sense. Obviously I have some heavy bias, but I am also a consumer. If Android wants more iConverts, then they are going to have to do a whole lot more than say that its better because it's open source. Honestly, I could give two craps about how "open" a mobile OS is. The average consumer doesn't realize that you still have to root Android just like iOS to get the cool geeky hacks that we all love. The only difference is that Apple plays cat and mouse. Also, the reason iOS is so un-open is so that a consistent user experience is all but guaranteed. A great example is that for Android, you have to actually get an app that will help better manage the open tasks, since the default multitasking slows down many devices greatly. I love the concept of Android, but the execution fails.
    Agreed. I've owned every iPhone an I've tried out an android phone before and to be honest it's a cool concept but if my phone gives me a headache every time I want to do something I think I'll just buy an old school radioactive 80s cellphone. iOS is a great OS because it's user friendly and with the enormous help of the Jailbreaking community it's given it a more open feel to it. User friendliness plus a more open OS gets my vote every time.

  7. #27
    Super Moderator dale1v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,786
    Thanks
    335
    Thanked 394 Times in 268 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Since all of my "smart" phones have always been iphones, I just can't get used to Android. It truly feels like a Dev version of a Linux phone. Meaning, the interface has absolutely no flow to it, like all of the elements where put in backwards. But then again having a hardware button that serves as a back button, and one that serves as a right click literally makes no sense. Obviously I have some heavy bias, but I am also a consumer. If Android wants more iConverts, then they are going to have to do a whole lot more than say that its better because it's open source. Honestly, I could give two craps about how "open" a mobile OS is. The average consumer doesn't realize that you still have to root Android just like iOS to get the cool geeky hacks that we all love. The only difference is that Apple plays cat and mouse. Also, the reason iOS is so un-open is so that a consistent user experience is all but guaranteed. A great example is that for Android, you have to actually get an app that will help better manage the open tasks, since the default multitasking slows down many devices greatly. I love the concept of Android, but the execution fails.
    The bias shows.
    Like linux, Open Source Android is treated as the lowest common denominator, and vendors often set up the UI and behavior to their individual specifications. Motorola's semantics may not be the same as that of Samsung or Sony Ericsson. The semantics of two linux distros Gentoo and Ubuntu are not the same, but if you don't like the semantics of Ubuntu, would it be correct to dismiss gentoo entirely because of that experience? It should be noted that packaged with the OS is a bunch of settings for the user, and seperate interfaces exist on the market (a lot without the need to root).
    The interface is akin to any modern day smartphone or OS. Applications -> Menus with submenus. I'm a massive, MASSIVE UI whore, and if it was anything like how you described, I would definitely be the first to complain.

    Since Android 2, the OS has come with standard task manager that handles standard (true) multitasking, which on my phone is opened by holding the home button. Due to the nature of multitasking, If you keep on opening apps and leaving them open, the phone will slow down (like any computer). The fault lies not with the phone, but with the user for not managing their apps correctly.

    I can try stock iOS on one device and say "ok, THIS is what it's like across their range". This IS what Apple does. Maybe if Android was set up identically on a limited set of similar devices, then i'd see where you were going with this...but it's not...

    I don't know, I switch Operating Systems frequently, so I guess switching between one environment to another is easy for me?
    Last edited by dale1v; 05-05-2011 at 05:37 PM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

  8. #28
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,077
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

    iOS>Android>Blackberry>Symbian
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

  9. #29
    Super Moderator dale1v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,786
    Thanks
    335
    Thanked 394 Times in 268 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    iOS>Android>Blackberry>Symbian
    meh, I disagree with that, but Symbian is definitely at the bottom. Isn't WP7 pretty good now as well?
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

  10. #30
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,077
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

    oh forgot about wp7 lol. Ok new list iOS>Android>WP7>BlackBerry>Symbian

    the only reason WP7 is third is because they are still fairly new iOS first because they put the i in OS I still love my galaxy s
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

  11. #31
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,499
    Thanks
    6,794
    Thanked 15,197 Times in 6,977 Posts

    Id agree with that, though never tried symbian.

    iOS>Android>WP7>webOS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>blackberr y

  12. #32
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,077
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

    Symbian is what is found on newer touchscreen nokias
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

  13. #33
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,499
    Thanks
    6,794
    Thanked 15,197 Times in 6,977 Posts

    I know what it is. Just never tried it so cannot comment on it.

  14. #34
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,077
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

    Oh yeah it is one of the worst os's out there until they do major work on it
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

  15. #35
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,499
    Thanks
    6,794
    Thanked 15,197 Times in 6,977 Posts

    Id probably still put it above blackberry then. At least the OS that comes on their phones. The playbook one is a different story.

  16. #36
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,077
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

    Wait why that doesn't make sense to me sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

  17. #37
    Super Moderator dale1v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,786
    Thanks
    335
    Thanked 394 Times in 268 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    oh forgot about wp7 lol. Ok new list iOS>Android>WP7>BlackBerry>Symbian

    the only reason WP7 is third is because they are still fairly new iOS first because they put the i in OS I still love my galaxy s
    Then mine would be:
    Android because I'm a lazyish tweaker with OCD and I can change my default apps easily (PowerAmp OBLITERATES any other portable media player) > iOS > Blackberry >









    Symbian. Symbian is so bad.

    havent tried WP7 for more than 30 seconds so I don't know, I like the UI at least.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

  18. #38
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,077
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

    ill try poweramp never heard of it before
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

  19. #39
    I'm not a star Imahottguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MI, USA
    Posts
    2,440
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 164 Times in 143 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    The bias shows.
    Like linux, Open Source Android is treated as the lowest common denominator, and vendors often set up the UI and behavior to their individual specifications. Motorola's semantics may not be the same as that of Samsung or Sony Ericsson. The semantics of two linux distros Gentoo and Ubuntu are not the same, but if you don't like the semantics of Ubuntu, would it be correct to dismiss gentoo entirely because of that experience? It should be noted that packaged with the OS is a bunch of settings for the user, and seperate interfaces exist on the market (a lot without the need to root).
    The interface is akin to any modern day smartphone or OS. Applications -> Menus with submenus. I'm a massive, MASSIVE UI whore, and if it was anything like how you described, I would definitely be the first to complain.

    Since Android 2, the OS has come with standard task manager that handles standard (true) multitasking, which on my phone is opened by holding the home button. Due to the nature of multitasking, If you keep on opening apps and leaving them open, the phone will slow down (like any computer). The fault lies not with the phone, but with the user for not managing their apps correctly.

    I can try stock iOS on one device and say "ok, THIS is what it's like across their range". This IS what Apple does. Maybe if Android was set up identically on a limited set of similar devices, then i'd see where you were going with this...but it's not...

    I don't know, I switch Operating Systems frequently, so I guess switching between one environment to another is easy for me?
    I have tried several different Android devices, and have found all unintuitive. I will hand it to google for the widgets on the homescreen, but that would be about it. You are right, Android is not the same across the board. The crappy thing I've noticed with that being the case is that since each manufacturer and/ or carrier heavily modifies the interface, some phones never see an update, even if there were a critical security alert. That definitely is not awesome. Let's see how many regular updates the Xoom gets. My guess would be one top, likely none. To each his own, and I found Android to be unintuitive and ugly. But I did not spend a week with a phone/tablet to form a solid opinion. This is based off of my limited, but enough, time with the OS.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

  20. #40
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,077
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

    XOOM is pretty nice TBH. I liked it almost as much as the iPad

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts